No announcement yet.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to see it....what are my thoughts...

I didn't hate it. It entertained me i guess. My biggest criticism is the pace of the film is all over the place. I don't think it flows very well scene to scene. The plot chugs along at an ok pace, but the cut of the film needed some more work. I also get the feeling that Indy and Helena were written as one character and then the script was split between them, neither really get an opportunity to shine.
    The CGI is pretty poor. it's not green screen bad or anything, but its just a bit smushy.

6/10

Although I understand exact what you are saying about Temple Neon, Temple is a shorter and somewhat better paced film. It kind of gets on with it and Spielberg give you a sense of confidence in his directing so I'm putting Temple above dial.
    Mine looks like this:

Crusade > Raiders > >>>Temple >> Dial >>>>>>>>>>>>Skull

Comment

Nah, that's all fair enough. Dial is definitely overlong which I think I'm only broadly okay with because I know it's the very last film we'll ever get from Ford so there's a sense of I'll take more whilst it's there. From a more stood back perspective it would have benefitted from tightening up. I would have probably not have had the dial be split into two halves, that would have made the mid-section of the film about finding the dial itself and instead of it being done via the underwater sequence I'd have probably done something closer to the cavern tomb sequence with Indy and Helena working out clues to get to it, then merge a shorter version of the TukTuk chase in with plane sequence etc.

Though reading that back it feels like a re-editing of Dial to make it very Crusadey

Temple definitely has pacing in its favour, its lack of action balanced out by being a tighter film with stronger humour in the mid-section.

Comment

Mangold On That "Dial of Destiny" Ending - Dark Horizons​
        Mangold confirms that when he signed on to the film its original ending was very different and similar to Raiders. He said that he felt it would have been 'another Death Star' moment to retread old ground so rewrote the ending to go back in time, originally to 1938. However, this changed to the films actual ending when he clocked that audiences would guess that outcome based on the plot and the films opening during that time period. He believes that not going back to WWII at the end changed the ending from being focused on stopping the villain yet again to instead focusing on Indy at the end of his lifes work.

Comment

Working...
        X