Ni no kuni: Wrath of the white witch PS3 / Ni no kuni: The jet black mage DS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by importaku View Post
    In the DS version there were extra layers of strategy when raising imagines/familiars making a reason for trying to get a lot of them, on top of feeding them food from the alchemy pot to level them & using the gems to give them new magic powers. There were also marbles you could feed them these only appeared in the DS version sadly, the marbles changed the alignment of the weapon slots the imagine had. In the game they could only hold certain items if they matched the slot colours, this meant you had to hunt down a variety of them till you found ones that had the right slot colour combination or close enough, obviously the marbles were rare so once you got a imagine with nearly all the slots you needed you could tweak a few colours to make it perfect. The most powerful artifacts were black items, this is a rare slot colour & the marbles even rarer to change the slots to black. Took me a while to assemble a strong team that could hold all the best gear.

I love the PS3 version as it complemented the story already told in the DS game and the new take on the battle system was refreshing after 100+ hours in battling the top down turn based DS game, however i loved the DS version more as the puzzles were done so much better, they were done in a way that pulls you into exploring the book. There is one dungeon that had a maze where in the mist there are cursed arches if you walk under one you get a spell removed from your list & once you lost it you had to manually redraw the rune to put it back. Now in the book theres a page with a picture of a jewelry box, on closer inspection you realise the contents of the box are actually a map on how to pass through the maze safely avoiding the cursed arches. There are quite a few puzzles like that, ones that have help hidden in the book. Plus having to draw the runes instead of just selecting a spell from a list made it more enjoyable, it was one of the things that made me actively want to search out new spells.

Moyas tower was a massive reason to keep playing long after the game had been completed, it's what kept me going for about 30 hours after i finished the main game. A tower with 100 floors each of which you have to search the entire world & battle imagine to get ingredients to build the floors one at a time, each of the floors has harder imagine as the floors get higher some of these drop items you need too fo build the upper floors. This time it's the pot genie's dad that does the work When you reach the very top theres a fantasically hard battle to win a pretty awesome prize.

Anyone not familiar with what Moyas tower is then here's a handy vid.
    Those features on the DS are exactly what the PS3 version needs! I forgot to mention I really enjoyed using the book to solve riddles and puzzles. The development of the familiars sounds a lot better too. Would it be right to assume the DS version is the real RPG and the PS3 version is the RPG lite ride along version?

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
      Rmoxon I suggest you play more Pokemon if you think they're all balanced. In Pokemon I would only catch em all after carefully breeding and evolving my ideal team to level 100. There are far more mechanics to Pokemon than the game informs you of.
      Think you misunderstood me.

I've put many, many hours into all the Pok?mon games thanks. Just because its your ideal team doesn't mean its everyone else's, and that was my point. My point was not that you wouldn't have a favourite team of Pok?mon.

And yeah, you could argue that there are certain "badass" Pok?mon, but they never actually over shadow the other ones. Not IMO anyway.
      Last edited by rmoxon; 29-03-2013, 22:43.

Comment

Not in the game no. But lets face it none of the Pokemon in the game are even remotely difficult outside of battle tower.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
          Not in the game no. But lets face it none of the Pok?mon in the game are even remotely difficult outside of battle tower.
          Well yeah... though you know it could just be that we have had 15 years of practise. As much as I like Pok?mon, the games have never changed. Its easy to be good at something that you have played constantly for years.

Comment

Well, they are for kids.

Keeping your party balanced is probably the best way to play normally but after I've beaten the game once I just grind E4 for exp.

Comment

Well I wouldn't say they are just for kids. They are the equivalent of a good animated film, in that anyone can enjoy them.

Like any RPG the difficulty level comes from understanding the battle system mechanics, and you've already said yourself its a lot deeper than it first appears. Its only easy to us now because we have done it 750000 times before.

Comment

I finally managed to get my psn download of the ps3 version working. There's two files, a 16gb and a 6020mb. You must install the 16gb one first or the game won't work and the files will be deleted and you'll have to re download them again. Took me over 24 hours of downloading and numerous disconnects to finally get it working. Only had about three hours so far. Love the ghibli influences.

Comment

Translation patch for the DS version is out!

Project Status - December 9th, 2018 Patch: Released! Woo hoo! Release date: December 9th, 2018 Project Description: On December 9th, 2010 Level-5 and Studio Ghibli released the first game in the Ni no Kuni franchise, 二ノ国 漆黒の魔導士 (Ni no Kuni: Shikkoku no Madōshi), for the Nintendo DS. The game...

Comment

Cool, might finally get around to playing it!!

Comment

Working...
                    X