Dear Esther (PC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Esther (PC)

Dear Esther, as I enter this thread I am surprised that someone hasn't already beaten me to it, do people play PC games anymore?

So did anyone buy it?
    I was curious about this game from the first time I had heard about it, that it was more like a walking novella, explore an island and be spoken to by your character talking/writing letters to Esther. Taken from a Source mod and expanded into a steam retail release for ?6.99, apparently it's only a couple of hours long but worth it for the experience.
    Played half hour and so far it's an odd experience, in a good way, very atmospheric just walking around an island all alone with narration, some lovely music queues and the wind blowing in your ears.
    Gets bonus points for running on my PC, YAY! (god love Source)
    Last edited by Family Fry; 15-02-2012, 23:08.

graphics are very very good even more impressive considering its on the source engine runs super smooth only had a little time with it not sure i would even class this as a game...a walking novella is a pretty much spot on description

Comment

I have seen some crazy beautiful hi res phat rig pc screens, make my wee PC cry. I will certainly replay it when I get my Ivybridge rig later in year, exciting times ahead.

Comment

Bought this too, had been intruiged by it for quite awhile.

It is short and really has no gameplay but it has one of the most realistic atmospheres in any game, It was just refreshing and hopefully due to the fact it made its money back in 5-6 hours after release it will show that there is a market for games that dont involve guns and gore.

I could see a new genre of games like this based off short stories.

Comment

Finished it in 40 minutes. It's very short. Great atmosphere and lovely music though, I didn't mind at all. Not sure I understood it, I think I did. Though after reading up explanations of the game it seems everyone is saying different things so who knows. Certainly enjoyable, amazing graphics and a relaxing game to play.

Comment

Played the mod three years ago. Excellent experience but there doesn't seem to be enough added in the new version to make returning worthwhile. If you liked it give Polaris a go - http://www.radiator.debacle.us/01/ (haven't check the steam mod update yet but you might be able to install it directly through steam) Nopers, steamworks only covers TF2 and skyrim at the mo.
            Last edited by Bort; 16-02-2012, 11:29.

Comment

Looks great, thanks for the heads up. I'll hopefully play through this weekend

The trailer looks stunning.
              DEAR ESTHER IS OUT NOW ON STEAM FOR MAC AND PC! visit our official Steam page here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/203810You can keep up to date and find...

Comment

I want it, but with all the stuff I have, plus books, plus the vita next week, I'll probably end up picking it up during summer or when it's on sale.

Comment

Went in not really sure what to expect came out having experienced one of the best looking games ever. Jaw hit floor on multiple occasions. The art is simply outstanding and too many times to mention I just stood looking at a scene in awe. The entire second half the game just made me wish the next Elder Scrolls is as good as this!

I didn't really understand all of the story but I guess that was the point. I feel like I missed loads of content though as I kept accidently finding the way forward, so I will replay it again soon.

Not sure how long it took, probably around 90 minutes, but it is highly recommended.

Comment

Did look beyond amazing in some of the cave parts. Bit confused tho,

are you just meant to quit out when it fades to black in the end?

Comment

I got stuck on the first chapter, which apparently isn't even meant to happen!

I just can't find anywhere to go!

looks lovely until you actually get near the textures then the Source Engine's deficiencies show themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                        Did look beyond amazing in some of the cave parts. Bit confused tho,

are you just meant to quit out when it fades to black in the end?
                        Yes! Confused me too.

I got stuck on the first chapter, which apparently isn't even meant to happen!
                        Difficult to say really as the island is quite large. Did you find the standing stone thingies? Find them then there is a path from that point that leads you to the second chapter. It didn't start blowing my mind until around chapter 3 so stick with it

Comment

Just finished it, clocked 84 mins on it.
                          Having a wee wander about here and there, I'm convinced there are 2 paths to visit in the caves chapter 3, so will ave another playthrough another night.

I can't have been the only one that WANTED to climb that tower at the end was annoyed when it went to a cut scene would have been a better impact climbing the entire mast with narraration, stand ontop and you jumped off THEN it went to cutscene. So what the elle was that all about then? The scary hospital bed on junction was a quality scene, made me think am I dying and this is all in my head? was I in a traffic accident? did I kill someone? I Dunno what to take away from it all.
                          I spotted some figure ontop of the mountain on chapter 4 before getting to the tower, was kinda creepy spotting someone else on the island.

Last edited by Family Fry; 21-02-2012, 02:00.

Comment

spoilers

Yep I wanted to do the same, perhaps the only mis-step of the game. I think the island was some sort of purgatory and you were just reliving other people's stories? Hence the ghostly figuires you occasionally see. I couldn't work out if the car crash was your death or something else though. No idea what all the funny patterns were on the rocks and I swear at one point the narrator changes to a different character and then back again.

Apparently certain things in the game are random, so if you play through again it won't be exactly the same. Some different narration etc.

Comment

This is correct I had my second play through, details change, *things* you see, there's quite a few little touches making it worth a few walk throughs. As for what it's actually about

, the purgatory idea is probably right, or you are reincarnated as a bird (the flying bit at the end), dunno, interesting though. I've not seen all the ghosts yet, ruddy creepy when you see something.....whats this about a hospital bed?

Comment

Working...
                              X