No announcement yet.

MCD: Movie Chart Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first very early box-office estimates are out for this December’s “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” release with prognosticators suggesting the J.J. Abrams-directed sequel could be headed for a record-setting $615 million worldwide opening weekend according to Deadline. That would top the current $524 million global opening of this past summer’s “Jurassic World” which became […]

The early box office estimates for Force Awakens are out and they project an international taking of $615m for the films opening week

Comment

That film is just going to print the money, no doubt about it. What I'll be very curious about is whether they can keep up the momentum. With the sheer amount of Star Wars stuff already and the plans for these spin-off movies, there is a danger of hitting a saturation point quickly. But then I would have said the same for Marvel so what do I know?

Comment

I honestly expect it to be massive but at the same time a bit front loaded. With Star Wars it's more about the merchandise than the films and these will literally dump cash on Disney's doorstep on that front. But 100%, curious to see how the fanbase reacts to going from being starved on cinematic content for much of 30 years to having it shovelled at them in quick succession.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          I honestly expect it to be massive but at the same time a bit front loaded. With Star Wars it's more about the merchandise than the films and these will literally dump cash on Disney's doorstep on that front. But 100%, curious to see how the fanbase reacts to going from being starved on cinematic content for much of 30 years to having it shovelled at them in quick succession.
          I agree with Dogg Thang - and I suspect it'll go similarly to Marvel. The only problem Disney will face is that Marvel, once they got their act together, chose to at least try and interpret their back-catalogue in a faithful way. Disney's assassination of the Expanded Universe means they've removed that, and they're going purely for the film nostalgia.

I can't say I disapprove, as I've read some real ****e in the Expanded Universe, but it's a different situation to something like Marvel, Harry Potter or LotR.

Comment

Amazing how fast fantastic 4 dropped out of the top 10
            Last edited by eastyy; 27-08-2015, 19:15.

Comment

The fifth installment of the cyborg franchise has made almost as much in eight days in China as it did after nine weeks in North America.

Terminator Genisys earnt $82m in its first week in China. The total is just shy of what the film earnt in the US over 9 weeks and is enough to push the films global earnings higher than Salvation reached. It still has another mostly uncontested week until MI5 releases there so should get plenty lift this week too. At current pace it's likely to out earn Terminator 3 ultimately and over its shelf life definitely has a chance of getting close to T2s franchise record high

Comment

Image courtesy of Paramount/Viacom Inc. As I mentioned in passing the other day, not only has Paramount and Skydance's Terminator Genisys passed the $400 million mark worldwide, but it has also indeed passed the worldwide total of Mad Max: Fury Road. The critically-beloved action sequel, universally hailed as one of the best films of [...]

After 11 days Terminator Genisys is closing in on $420m global takings. $450m by weeks end is looking perfectly possible which would go a long way to effectively greenlighting at least the T6 side of the next project and sail it past T3 to be the second most successful Terminator entry ever.

Comment

Minions is now one of the newest members of the 1Bn club, universal,have had a great year

Still don't see how minions earned so much which makes it the highest earning movie in the despicable me franchise, when it's the poorest in my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                    Minions is now one of the newest members of the 1Bn club, universal,have had a great year

Still don't see how minions earned so much which makes it the highest earning movie in the despicable me franchise, when it's the poorest in my opinion
                    Because kids love it. Mine did, but I thought it was dire.

Comment

It was pants for adults.

Comment

Minions was a very mediocre film, I though Despicable Me 2 was worse but generally the whole franchise is leagues behind the majority of its competition in my eyes. It's effectively a long toy commercial.

For Universal though, yep, staggeringly successful year and I wouldn't have pegged them as the likeliest to reach the records they have. Banner year in which there'll be some tasty Xmas bonuses going around staff I imagine.

Comment

Just a shame when certain cartoon's like for example penguins of Madagascar is leagues above minions which my children love in equal measure and it only earned around 350 million, it turned a profit which I'm sure the studio wants more than anything else but when it's compared to movies like minions and frozen it's just a drop in the ocean (ha poet)

Comment

Minions was an exercise in marketing and a very successful one. Can't speak for the movie as I haven't seen it but the amount of marketing tie-ins they got before anyone had ever seen the movie was huge and so that's what it was all about. Which sucks for great movies that aren't as easy to market, of which there are many.

Comment

Who knows how much it needs to make but Transporter 4 has stuttered to a global opening of just $17m. The loss of Statham looks to have hit hard after Transporter 3 which was the franchise high for takings. The budget and costs will factor greatly in whether the planned 5th and 6th entries get made.

Image from 'Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation,' courtesy of Paramount Pictures Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation has crossed the $500 million mark at the worldwide box office. The film earned another $7.15 million this weekend in America, a drop of just 11%, giving the picture a $180.3m domestic total. The film should earn $9.25m [...]

Mission Impossible Rogue Nation has hit $511m. This puts it behind MI4 still but the film is about to open in China...

Terminator Genisys will start to slow again now but it's reached $435.9m

That means it's succeeded in passing T3's global tally and is now the second highest entry. It should ultimately settle somewhere in the $450-$500m window making it hard to believe that it hasn't ultimately met the targets hoped for and that Terminator 6 will move ahead now.

Universal’s dino-mite 2015 continues. Jurassic World this weekend cleared $1B internationally, becoming the fourth film ever to pass the milestone. What’s more, with this frame’s global grosses across all films, the studio’s worldwide box office is now $6.043B. That makes it the first ever to reach $6B in a year, much less eight months. The […]

Jurassic World meanwhile has passed likely it's last cinema related milestone. The film has passed $1bn at the international market, it now rests on $1.65bn.

Comment

Thanks, Supes. I appreciate you trawling the Web so I don't have to!

Basically, it sounds like The Transporter needs more dinosaurs.

Or Statham.

Or Statham riding a dinosaur.

Comment

Working...
                                X