Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game & Gamestation: GAME credit woes

Figured this was worth its own thread.

UPDATE 3: GAME removed Metal Gear Solid HD Collection from its website "as we reached out [sic] pre-order allocation," …

GAME has basically lost its credit insurance, which is what pays out if games they buy from the wholesaler don't sell. Without it, most wholesalers won't sell to them as they have to take on the liability themselves.

It's usually the mark of a company with cashflow problems, and can sometimes happen temporarily if they've had to stump up for something massive up front (like, say, a couple of million Vitas...)

Of course, it could just as easily be the beginning of the end.

I have a few special editions of things pre-ordered through them because they were the only people stocking them, so keeping a close eye on this one...
    Last edited by Flabio; 01-02-2012, 15:05. Reason: Typo

MCV don't paint as bad a picture - http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/new-r...-friday/090551

Comment

Wouldn't be a bad thing if they did fold to be honest. The gap they left would allow several chains to move in and reintroduce a bit of healthy competition back into the mix. GAME couldn't be less competive unless they stopped stocking new games... oh, wait...

Comment

Originally posted by Flabio View Post
        I have a few special editions of things pre-ordered through them because they were the only people stocking them, so keeping a close eye on this one...
        Yeah, just for what I've ordered, I think the Mass Effect 3 and SFxT collector's editions are GAME Group exclusive.

Will be interesting to see what happens there if GAME goes under before March 9th.

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
          Wouldn't be a bad thing if they did fold to be honest. The gap they left would allow several chains to move in and reintroduce a bit of healthy competition back into the mix. GAME couldn't be less competive unless they stopped stocking new games... oh, wait...
          Like many high street stores, if GAME fold their premises will be taken over by clothes shops. If GAME fold the only real hope for a high street presence is Grainger, and, well, no thanks. I don't think there's anyone other than them that would risk a high street game store if GAME can't make it work and I doubt Grainger want to risk much expansion to go nationwide.

Comment

Yeah, could well be the case that the only place on the highstreet to buy games would be HMV. And they don't look like lasting much longer.

I know most of us are mail order junkies now, but the prescence of general joe public high street exposure for the games industry is invaluable from a PR perspective.

Comment

I'm sure someone would either swoop in and buy it out or try filling the void, despite the constant chatter about digital sales, physical games sales are still a very large number and console/game makers are still very dependent on the sector despite it not being the full focus it once was. Maybe another example of a retailer suffering by hugely over inflating its price tags in a recession.

Comment

That's gamestation too yeah? Could be a good time to cash out any credit

Comment

Might not affect Gamestation immediately, depends on how they've got their credit lines set up etc...

Comment

No time to read the ins and outs. I have ?15 on a game card. Should I be cashing that in ASAP? Ta.

Comment

Regarding HMV, this is quite interesting. Wonder if the UK gaming industry would be interested in helping bail Game out if push came to shove?

Comment

I've got 2 feelings on this...

1) that will teach them for being so greedy & buying everyone up & also permanently pushing used titles instead of stocking new stuff.
                        Oh & their price fixing where everything remains silly high for too long.

2) It will be a huge shame for them to go...them & Electronics Boutique before them (who they bought) have been a staple of my high street & buying history since the days of the SNES so they will be sorely missed even if I don't shop in there very much anymore

Will keep an eye on this but yeah my feelings towards the news are 2 fold.

Neil

Comment

EB were so much better

Comment

I still remember when EB was Future Zone. And when Future Zone was Virgin Game Center.

I am old.

Most of my early games buying were from indies with only one store in Nottingham, all long since dead and gone (Intoto, Software Plus, Microbyte... ah, nostalgia)

I'm always surprised to see that Kart Klub in Aldershot is still around on the rare occasion I find myself there...

Comment

My cousin worked in gamestation during the buyout by game and for several years afterwards and has never had a good word to say about their internal management / targets. He claims to work in a much better high street based company now.

Similarly I'd not like to see games vanishing off the high street entirely, but I rarely buy anything there.

Comment

Working...
                              X