No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I had corrupt card issues on my pi3 before and got the ****s with it. I think just having an M2 slot, even on some higher spec models would do wonders for it. The issue with booting from USB is you instantly void a lot of case options... Having a nice internal solution means you'd get some really nice builds whatever the project.

Anyway... That NES case is pure gold. It's aesthetically brilliant in every way. I suddenly want one.

Comment

I use those tiny SanDisk sticks, they stick out maybe 5mm, I can't see it really be an issue with most cases, unless you're using bluetooth mouse/kb/controllers, you've got something sticking out of the USB ports.

Comment

Yeah I've used the ultra fit ones of those as well but mine overheated after about a year of use and now basically they don't work for more than 10 minutes.

Keep an eye on yours if they're under constant load.

Comment

Can't say I've had a problem with the ones I've got (I have about 8 of varying sizes, most 8 or 16Gb), they don't seem to get any hotter than any of my other USB sticks. Of all the USB sticks I've got though, in terms of wear it's these that are the most hardy and are somewhere inbetween the tiny and more usual form factor: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Te...%2C171&sr=8-15

What I've recently seen on the RPi is an install app called PiKISS - it makes installing and configuring certain bits of software a lot easier, for example, PiKISS will install and setup Half Life, Duke Nukem and Quake, along with a whole host of other things. Whist you could do this yourself as it's basically just running scripts, this app speeds the process up, making it easier for noobs and veterans alike. It's worth a look.

You will need the orginal game data files if you want the full experience On the Pi, rather than the shareware, but the Pi4 is running these at 60 FPS at 1080P for the most part. I can't remember if my 486DX managed that (certainly not 1080P as I think I was rocking a 14" 1024x768 CRT monitor at the time) - some may say, big deal Pi4 now matches a 20+ year old PC, but that PC wasn't £34.
          Last edited by MartyG; 30-09-2020, 09:37.

Comment

The was some good news to wake up to this morning (and nope, not because there's a new PoTUS), the Raspberry Pi Foundation released another Pi product, the Raspberry Pi Pico

This is a microcontroller board, a bit like the Arduino, but it's a little more sophisticated in that it has software definable GPIO and the ability for some of these pins to act somewhat like an FPGA for IO. There are some IO pins that you can define to behave in a certain way that gives them different properties, it's quite smart.

RPi developed the RP2040 chip that's at the heart of this in-house and is going to be available on its own - it's already being incorporated into other microcontroller boards, so we're probably going to see quite a wide range of support for this chip set which is good (Arduino plan on incorporating it into their dev suite).

So I've got a couple in the post right now (£3.60 each) - if you're interesting in hackspace and want to dable in mircro-python, these could be just the ticket.

Comment

Got my boards this morning through the post from Pi Hut - soldered the headers on to one of them at lunch - my hands definitely not as steady as they once were for that kind of work on tiny electronics (the boards are about half the size of a Pi Zero).

(Standard breadboard pitch is 2.54 mm)

Comment

C++ supported too. Just need to come up with a project.

Comment

Built a Picade over the last week, Pimoroni where having a little bit of an Easter sale and where offering 20% off all their kits, i fancied a little project and had just been bought a pi4b for my birthday so it kind of made sense to do something fun with it. Build was quite fun and took a good hour and a bit to build the cab and wire it all up. install of software went pretty smoothly too and everything bar the sound was working perfectly within a coupe of hours.

What followed was hours of tinkering trying to get the bloody sound working, the cab has a pi hat that comes with this set that controls a few bits of the cab sound and input goes through the xhat. All i got was distortion and crackling and i, initially though it was a duff speaker, i picked up another and got exactly the same results, Jumped into the forums to see if anyone else has had this issue and yup the sound is a cause of massive headaches it seems, form what i could see, the makers of the pi have switched software to support a Bluetooth audio solution and its throwing up all sorts of issues.

Endless tinkering with lines of code reboot after reboot with zero progress just made me give up in the end and judging form the unresolved threads over at pimoroni I'm not the only one, i switched back to using the pi 3.5mm jack for audio and will just wait and see if anyone ever works out how to fix it.

The ultimate desktop retro arcade machine! Picade is a Raspberry Pi-powered mini arcade that you build yourself, with authentic arcade controls, a high resolution 4:3 display that's ideal for retro gaming, and a punchy speaker to hear those 8-bit game soundtracks at their best.

Edit----

got sick of waiting for, pimorni to fix this so bought a small £10 usb speaker removed the case from it bolted it to the unit over the speaker grill on the cab and hacked the code about a bit and got the usb speaker set as the default, I'm super impressed with how well the system works now as its feels complete, playing old-school arcade games needs that sound pumping out as of the cab.

fun build bar the sound issues super impressed with how solid the kit is and you get the satisfaction of thinking i made this
                  Last edited by Lebowski; 16-04-2021, 08:57.

Comment

Someone has delided a Pi4 and overclocked it to 3GHz (that's a 50% OC)

I bought another board recently which has the same form factor as a Pi Zero with 4 cores, 4GB RAM and a 16 GB eMMC on the board

I can't really recommend it tho; it is far better performance wise than the Zero and does run the emulators quite well (it'll do PSP), but software support is a bit hit&miss atm, updating the Ubunutu image results in an unbootable system. It has potential, but it's this area that RPi has things sorted.

Comment

Today is a good - it's a new Raspberry Pi day.

Before you get too excited tho, no it's not a Raspberry Pi 5 with 8 cores and M.2, it's the Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W, which no comes with a quad core CPU running at 1 GHz.

A bit disappointly, it's still only equiped with 512 MB of LDDR2 which limits emulation, but with the improved SoC, it should bump up SNES, PS1, CPS2 and N64 emulation.

Get them while you can as no doubt they'll be out of stock by the end of the day and on eBay for twice the price. They have them at PiHut and Pimoroni atm limited to 1 per customer at £16 when you include the postage.

ETA Prime has done a vid on the Pi Zero 2 with some emu stuff at 9 minutes in.

Last edited by MartyG; 28-10-2021, 07:52.

Comment

I love ETA Primes channel, I watch almost every video he puts out.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                          I love ETA Primes channel, I watch almost every video he puts out.
                          See when I was looking at his videos a while back, they are well presented and informative. But almost every new device was technically the best one so far he would say in the video, then at the very end he'd mention another device he prefers or something about drivers or whatever.

Comment

Well, another fun ETA Prime vid - I do like the idea of this mini tower Raspberry Pi kit. I've fancied getting one of those ice tower coolers, not because I have a thermal throttle issue, just that I like how they look.

Comment

Got this really neat AdaFruit product at the weekend - it's a tiny little microcontroller based on the Raspberry Pi RP2040 chip.

Supports MicroPython out of the box and has two little ARGB LEDs. Amazing how much they've packed on to the board - could probably put a lander on the moon

Meant to add the links ...

The AdaFruit site: https://www.adafruit.com/product/4900

I got this from Pimoroni, but they're now out of stock: https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/a...t-qt-py-rp2040
                              Last edited by MartyG; 13-12-2021, 11:43.

Comment

Neat!

The WiFi on my HP 1102w printer is so inconsistent as to whether it is visible, or will print what you ask or reprint something from a week ago. Set up a CUPS print server on a spare Pi and plugged hot into that. Hey presto, everyone in the house can print to it from windows, Mac, linux, iPhone and android now. They're so cheap I don't even bother doubling up their functionality; this one is a print server and nothing more.

Comment

Working...
                                X