Raspberry Pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generally FBA runs them fine

You can pick up the none W version for under a fiver, so it's not a massive risk to get a zero and see if it works for you: https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-zero
    Last edited by MartyG; 07-11-2019, 08:41.

Comment

Sounded hit or miss so I just brought the Pi in and hooked it in to the CCTV monitor.

Comment

The ODROID GO is getting a newer more advanced model; the ODROID GO ADVANCE. I love the original GO, so mildly tempted by this one.

PS. Did the thread title change, as this used to be about lots of different SoCs? Anyway this thread was where I posted pictures of my ODROID GO in 2018.

Comment

Is that likely to just be running Power Stone and Mario 64 well or likely to run DC/N64 well across the board?

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            Is that likely to just be running Power Stone and Mario 64 well or likely to run DC/N64 well across the board?
            Obviously I don't own one, but I suspect the short answer is probably not. In that N64, DC and PSP emulation is notoriously difficult and needs a more powerful SoC. ETA PRIME shows it playing games from those systems but clearly is far from perfect, although some games may be playable.

The ODROID GO was a perfect, cheap and fun kit that you turn into a fantastic functioning Game Boy/GBC. Easy to customise, replace parts on and a perfect form factor for Game Boy. It recently had a new community based firmware released too. I often use it as a Tetris machine as it is such a perfect way to play those games.

I know that people wanted a more advance ODROID GO that could emulate 16/32-bit systems and I think this will fit the bill perfectly. Unfortunately the price has increased (£72) but appears to be really good value.

Comment

Gah, still tempting as it seems like a lovely little system but seems I'm better off waiting for a cost effective way to keep my backlog rolling

Comment

The MagPi (the official Pi magazine) announced this month that the 2GB RPi is now the new normal and the 1GB is being retired, so you can now pick up the 2GB RPi 4 for £34: https://magpi.raspberrypi.org/issues/91

Also, MagPi is worth a read and you can get the digital version gratis.

Comment

Nice, you can now get a FLIRC case for the Pi Zero

The FLIRC Raspberry Pi Zero Case is finally here - exceptionally engineered, affordable and adorable! The FLIRC Zero shares the same genetics as the original FLIRC case with some added features. FLIRC have kept everything that makes the original case great, shrunk it down, and added some nice elements that make this mi

Although at £13 it seems a little pricey given you can get the Pi4 version for £16.

Comment

New Raspberry Pi 4 variant - this time an 8gb model (no other changes bar minor PSU components being moved on the motherboard).

$75 or £74 for this one.

While we launched with 1GB, 2GB and 4GB variants, even at that point we had our eye on the possibility of an 8GB Raspberry Pi 4. // The BCM2711 chip that we use on Raspberry Pi 4 can address up to 16GB of LPDDR4 SDRAM, so the real barrier to our offering a larger-memory variant was the lack of an 8GB LPDDR4 package. These didn’t exist (at least in a form that we could address) in 2019, but happily our partners at Micron stepped up earlier this year with a suitable part. And so, today, we’re delighted to announce the immediate availability of the 8GB Raspberry Pi 4, priced at just $75.

Comment

Saw that, but I can't say I'll be rushing out to buy one of these - I'm not sure I have a use case for 8GB on an RPi. I'm sure there are some, I'm just struggling to think of them, maybe if you're running heavy server loads on them, but then, why would you be running heavy server loads on a RPi? The bottleneck isn't going to be the RAM available.

Comment

Yep agreed. I think I saw someone mention it's beneficial for a NAS. But on my Unraid box the only time I've really needed more RAM was for VMs. Also the price is creeping up a bit to much for me. I think the 2GB model would be fine for my needs, although tbh I haven't felt the need to move on from the 3B+ yet.

Comment

Has anybody on here tried an Odroid XU4? Looking to emulate N64 and PSP.

Comment

Not tried that particular board personally, but it's getting old now so others are catching up. Now that the Pi4 has a proper RetroPi release with OpenGL support, it's just about on par and half the price - the XU4 was first released in 2015, so it's not really worth the price it's still commanding anymore.

Neat case from RetroFlag with a built in 2.5" drive caddy hidden away in the cart slot; quite pricey at $40, but definitely a neat solution.

Retroflag is back at it again with an amazing NES style case for the Raspberry Pi 4!This has some awesome stuff built-in like a massive Heatsink fan combo an...

Comment

Love ETA prime... I saw his other video about the M2 adaptor. The way the pi development are going I see this as the next logical step, adding an onboard storage method faster than the SD card.

With something like that supported by the actual board it would remove a huge limitation.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                                Love ETA prime... I saw his other video about the M2 adaptor. The way the pi development are going I see this as the next logical step, adding an onboard storage method faster than the SD card.

With something like that supported by the actual board it would remove a huge limitation.
                                Eben Upton has said in the past that it's unlikely there will ever be SATA support on the Pi, but M.2 was a possibility. You can boot from USB on the Pi3 and this was enabled on the Pi4 again recently. The issue in the past with the SD was that it became corrupted in certain situations (like power going off), but this no longer seems to be an issue with the Pi4.

Comment

Working...
                                X