Raspberry Pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raspberry Pi

The Raspberry Pi launched yesterday with much excitement. Many people have said they haven't been excited about a hardware release for years.
    Thinking specifically about the gaming implications - could this little platform produce something interesting?

A £22 ($35) bare-bones computer intended to help teach people programming goes on sale for the first time.

GPU performance is approx. twice that of iPhone4S or iPad2.
    Last edited by smouty; 01-03-2012, 09:49.

Didn't it sell out straight away? Is there any chance of XBMC being ported to it, as I've wanted to buy a decent media player for the TV for a while but this would probably be cheaper. It would be great to see people release games on it, would be like the old 8bit / 16bit one man army or small team situation.

Comment

I think it's a shame that a machine developed to target kids to get them into coding has basically sold out to mostly coder types interested in owning it as a curio.

It would be a decent games platform, but there aren't enough of them out there yet.

Comment

Is the finished product just an exposed circuit board (to keep costs down)? If so, they won't last long, with capacitors being the first to get knocked off
        They could at least have included some bubble wrap.

Comment

I think the organisation has already stated that the first batch would be sold to enthusiasts as 'seed' developers.
          There will be enough available once production ramps up.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
            Is the finished product just an exposed circuit board (to keep costs down)? If so, they won't last long, with capacitors being the first to get knocked off
            They could at least have included some bubble wrap.
            A case will be available the team have said.

Is there any chance of XBMC being ported to it

Comment

It's pretty powerful, so you emulation fans should be happy too.

Comment

Has anybody been on the Raspberry Pi website: www.raspberrypi.org/

It's not very obvious what it is! I had to go to Wikipedia just to find out!
                The site talks about how it's sold out and there's different versions, but it's so small that the picture of it just looks like a card component in a PC as opposed to a whole computer!

It's good news though (once you find out what a Raspberry Pi is...), and I hope it's a success in schools.

Comment

What I would like to know is just how this is supposed to stimulate interest in programming? It's basically a very cheap computing device which runs common OSes already available on regular home computers. Surely what is needed is schools to offer courses that introduce computing science at a rudimentary level and progress from there.

Comment

It's the 'cheap' aspect of it. Schools can buy one per child and teach a whole class to code. Parents can buy one for their kid and know that if it gets smushed it won't cost 400 quid to replace like an iPad.

Comment

Why is coding seen as such an essential skill? Then again, I could say the same about Geography classes.... wtf were they for?

Comment

Originally posted by Flabio View Post
                        It's the 'cheap' aspect of it. Schools can buy one per child and teach a whole class to code. Parents can buy one for their kid and know that if it gets smushed it won't cost 400 quid to replace like an iPad.
                        But schools already have computers which could be used for the same kind of thing. And most families have a home computer which could be used for coding as well.

If the UK is really starting to lag in computer science skills it's about time for another government backed education drive as was the case with the BBC Micro.

Comment

Why is coding seen as such an essential skill? Then again, I could say the same about Geography classes.... wtf were they for?
                          In Scotland I think it was mainly to teach you that Hill Sheep Farming was really important!

Comment

It isn't. This is more an attempt to actually make IT lessons in school ACTUALLY about IT rather than 'here's how to use a word processor'.

If noone is exposed to coding at school, then where do the next generation of coders come from?

WAY more people were exposed to programming in my generation at school than are at the moment.

Comment

What Flabio said. My son learnt how to use computers, not code for them. These things don't code themselves. We're already finding we have very little choice when it comes to recruiting young people (not that we're recruiting. But IF WE WERE!).

Comment

Working...
                              X