No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’ll be interesting to see how this improves emulation performance... Dreamcast and N64 should run much better I assume? How about Saturn, or at least the 2D games?

The dual screen output is quite cool, could lead to some interesting Jumbotron DS gaming, assuming it can handle DS/3DS.

Comment

[MENTION=42]MartyG[/MENTION] nice collection. I wonder if you're that chap on OCUK forums who has about 30 RPis doing stuff.

I think I remember reading that the CPU on the RPi 4 was 2 times faster than the RPi 3 and your results seem to be just short of that (unless I'm reading them wrong).

For me as I don't really need another media player I'm more interested in emulation performance. What is your guess as to performance of the RPi 4 versus the Odroid XU4 for emulation?

Comment

I would imagine they'll be close to parity, the XU4 was doubling Pi3 performance, but it did that with a different SoC arrangement as they have a Octa core (big/little) setup.

I'm compiling retroarch at the moment, it'll need a bit of setup, but I'll try and get some PS1, DC and N64 tests going with it.

Comment

Cool and thank you. Will look forward to it. I said this before but one of the better aspects to the RPi is the community and support. Sounds like it might be able to run some of the harder stuff.

Comment

Hoping for RGB-pi compatibility with the Pi 4 soon!

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
              It’ll be interesting to see how this improves emulation performance... Dreamcast and N64 should run much better I assume? How about Saturn, or at least the 2D games?

The dual screen output is quite cool, could lead to some interesting Jumbotron DS gaming, assuming it can handle DS/3DS.
              Saturn emulation via UO Yabuse runs perfectly on a Shield and pretty sure there is a new Saturn core for RA which requires less power, so they might be able to run somewhere near decent on an overclocked Pi you'd think. I was always puzzled about N64 emulation since the majority of first wave releases run fine on one of my 15khz/PVM setups via RGB-Pi, I thought it wasn't supposed to run very well at all.
              3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                Hoping for RGB-pi compatibility with the Pi 4 soon!
                You'd hope so although I'm wondering if he hasn't semi-given up on it. Spoke to him a while ago and he was aiming to create some Jamma-based device, but that hasn't appeared either.
                3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

I can't get it to compile from source code without erroring at the moment, it's probably a library issue, but I'll have to do some Googling to work it out.

I got it compiling, but it looks like there's still an issue, launching it produces a "* failed to add service - already in use?" need more debug info than than to solve the problem, but it looks like it might be down to OpenGL issues - perhaps this new SoC needs some further library updates.

Edit - definitely looks to be something to do with OpenGL.

Kodi installs from the repositories in Raspbian without a problem (so no need to install the dedicated OS images if you don't want to). It clearly isn't using hardware decode for x265 though - it cannot playback a 4K UHD file without thermally throttling the CPU. 1080P streams are fine though and the UI is swift enough - once hardware x265 is working properly, the Pi4 is going to make a fabulous Kodi box.

I think if you're going to be doing any serious lifting, you're definitely going to want some additional cooling as the board runs hot under load.
                  Last edited by MartyG; 25-06-2019, 21:15.

Comment

The Atomic Pi arrived today, but it's a bit of a pain to power up as it doesn't have a jack or usb power socket. You need to use the female header on the bottom of the board. I will need to check it's working before modding it, but ideally I want to add a power jack to the board.

It's a bit chunkier than the Raspberry Pi, it'll be interesting to see how well it works. Impressive that Amazon.com managed to get it here so quickly.

Unfortunately I think this might be DOA - it powers on briefly, switches the HDMI channel then dies. Shame, can't recommend buying these sadly.

Edit - got it working, it was a power issue, had to jig up a molex rig and jumped it from a ATX PSU. Booted up then, seems my claimed 3.5A wasn't delivering the cahoonies.

The OS image for the La Frite finally dropped, I ran sysbench on that too

total time: 7.5556s
                    number of events: 10000
                    total time taken: 30.1670

Quite an impressive time actually

And my Atomic Pi is now up and running properly with a new PSU, so this benchmarks at

total time: 10.00056s
                    number of events: 5784

(the readout was a little different, probably a version issue).
                    Last edited by MartyG; 27-06-2019, 11:34.

Comment

LOL this is something you don't see every day there's little cases for the pi to make it look like a sharp X68000 theres a cream one and a black one, keep finding alsorts on amazon japan. Here's the link incase anyone wants one. Looks like there's additional holes & stuff for if anyone wants to mod in leds or other things in there as well as a pi.

Comment

One little SBC, a thousand different uses, including this one: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/mus...-raspberry-pi/

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
                          Saturn emulation via UO Yabuse runs perfectly on a Shield and pretty sure there is a new Saturn core for RA which requires less power, so they might be able to run somewhere near decent on an overclocked Pi you'd think. I was always puzzled about N64 emulation since the majority of first wave releases run fine on one of my 15khz/PVM setups via RGB-Pi, I thought it wasn't supposed to run very well at all.
                          What Saturn games run well on the Shield? I never tried it as I assumed it would be dog****.

Comment

Does anyone have a Game Pi? It looks great, but limited due to the pi zero.

Comment

^^

If you're only emulation 8-bit stuff, Pi Zero is more than enough.

For those of you with a Raspberry Pi 4 however, Retro Pi is coming on well and it seems to be coping reasonably well with Dreamcast and N64 titles. With that in mind, those heat issues can be combatted with this: https://thepihut.com/collections/ras...i-4-cpu-cooler - soon we're going to have tower cases for the Pi to cope.

Comment

[MENTION=42]MartyG[/MENTION] is the Zero up to playing Neo Geo? If so I think I’ll get one of these handhelds for down time in the shop.

Comment

Working...
                                X