No announcement yet.

Kickstarter thread and what would you like to see kickstarted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guts said "if the game doesn't get made". Reaching your target funding and producing a finished game are 2 very different things. So, there is a significant risk involved. It's like paying someone - who you don't know - up front, to do a job a couple of years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
      Guts said "if the game doesn't get made". Reaching your target funding and producing a finished game are 2 very different things. So, there is a significant risk involved. It's like paying someone - who you don't know - up front, to do a job a couple of years from now.
      Yes, and you are just being pedantic (the reason why I use brackets, to confirm a very simple point so people can't nitpick).

doesn't get made == not funded through kickstarter.

Comment

I'm not being pedantic. There's a massive difference. It's the difference between someone definitely getting something for their pledge and hopefully getting something. I understand now how it works and TBH it's the only way it can work I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
          I'm not being pedantic. There's a massive difference. It's the difference between someone definitely getting something for their pledge and hopefully getting something. I understand now how it works and TBH it's the only way it can work I suppose.
          Guts didn't say what you thought he said. He just used a general term that could be misconstrued. Your points are valid but they have nothing to do with what anyone else has posted in this thread.
          I also have qualms about certain aspects of crowd funding but it's up to the people that are willing to pledge money to make a judgement for themselves.

The DF kickstarter is an anomaly at the moment but I can see it becoming the norm for personality led larger projects. If a random individual, Sumo or Team 17 had made the same empty adventure game kickstarter I wouldn't have backed them. Most smaller games have usually progressed to a point where you can get a better look at what you would actually be getting.

Comment

A UK studio or individual wouldn't be able to anyway, crowdfunding is in a weird legal limbo here at the moment.

Comment

Really? I thought they'd come up with a system that bypassed legislation. I guess that means us legislation.

Comment

Originally posted by Guts View Post
                Are you saying Double Fine and inXile are large developers making vanity projects?
                Yep. By large I just mean that they could certainly fund these games themselves if they wanted to. They're using Kickstarter to take the risk out of development, instead of using it because there's no way the game can exist otherwise.

Comment

i always thought with double fine they were on a fine line as from what i remember there games have not been the most succesful and i imagine them getting funded for a old school point and click wouldnt be the easiest via publishers

Comment

Originally posted by toythatkills View Post
                    Yep. By large I just mean that they could certainly fund these games themselves if they wanted to. They're using Kickstarter to take the risk out of development, instead of using it because there's no way the game can exist otherwise.
                    I think the point of this fan base funding is that they can't get funding for a game they want to make. Like inXile making old-school, turn-based, party-based RPG. At least Brian Fargo said they have been trying to get the funding for years, but the game they want to make is something the investors don't want to risk putting their money in.

I think this Kickstarter thing could be great if it can cut out the publisher dictating what the game should be like and give the developers more freedom to do what they want. Maybe I'm totally wrong and maybe these games suck horribly (or don't get made and we lose all our pledged money), but I'm willing to give guys like Schafer a chance.

For the record I wouldn't trust some unproven developer even with a dollar, but these guys are industry veterans with couple of decades worth of experience and good reputation.
                    Last edited by Guts; 14-03-2012, 22:03.

Comment

Agreed. The type of PC game I most enjoy doesn't get made these days. Kickstarter could be the best thing to happen to PC gaming for a long time.

Comment

What type of pc game do you speak of, cause if it's a genre on pc I bet they still get made.

Comment

I'm the same, have no problem paying up front to help support more niche development. If regular publishers aren't willing to take punts on things there's no other way to pay the creators' wages. I don't think the developers could easily pay for these things themselves as ttk claims, people don't usually have a million lieing around, and indeed in this case Fargo is putting in $100,000 of self funding to suplement the fundraising drive. I was also under the impression that if it hadn't been for the surprise hit with their XBLA games Double Fine were looking like they were going to go under.

Comment

The $900,000 rasied for Wasteland 2 isn't going to pay the developers wages unless there's only two guys working on it...

Comment

The amount raised is $1 million. Assuming 2 years development and 40k yearly wages with 5k overhead per staff member per year you could have a ten man development team with 150k left over for contracted work like translations no?

Comment

someone who was formely with red storm who did the older rainbow six games trying to get another project of the ground dunno if they will get to there target

Comment

Working...
                                X