Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kickstarter thread and what would you like to see kickstarted

Some links to promising kickstarter projects

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...e-being-hunted Really tempted by the idea but would like to see a bit more first

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...n?ref=category We need more space sims
    Last edited by eastyy; 05-11-2012, 16:18.

I'd prefer to risk funding an unknown really. Just something that looks interesting and that the developers look like they have half a chance of making it work. I don't really want to fund someone who's already made it in the industry.

Comment

ahh i would fund it if they cannot get backers for perhaps a "not commercialy viable game" if its the type of game i would love to play

saw a few days ago a guy put up a kickstarter to make a mmorpg ....problem is though he has never been involved with game making ever...and he is a millionaire and could quite easily fund it all out of his own pocket

Comment

I'd like to see small indie projects that genuinely can't fund themselves instead of large developer's vanity projects.

Comment

I did consider putting my own project up there but:

a. I have never produced a game before so doubt anyone would want to help
          b. I wouldn't give up my day job so would still only work in the evenings so not sure why I'd be asking for money!

Comment

Shenmue 3.

Comment

I'd love to see an XBLA / PSN update of both Uridium and Paradroid with Andrew Braybook acting as a consultant to keep the very souls of the games intact. Anyone else?

PS - yes I am quite old

Comment

Originally posted by toythatkills View Post
                I'd like to see small indie projects that genuinely can't fund themselves instead of large developer's vanity projects.
                Are you saying Double Fine and inXile are large developers making vanity projects?

Comment

Another one for Shenmue 3 I'd pay towards Jet Set Radio 3 too, they could reuse the old engines for them. Mostly though Kickstarter doesn't interest me. Most of the games people want are ones that don't have a sequel due to the lack of general interest in the series. That just leaves fans who have to raise enough money to make a worthwhile attempt at it, even if they do there's no guarantee of quality to the title so it's a high level of risk of wasting your cash most of the time. The original titles that would go through the system would be pure risk, better to put your money towards an existing game you think well of.

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
                    That just leaves fans who have to raise enough money to make a worthwhile attempt at it, even if they do there's no guarantee of quality to the title so it's a high level of risk of wasting your cash most of the time.
                    I'd say putting down $15 (which you don't pay if the game doesn't get made) for a game you want to see is much smaller risk than buying a ?40 game from the store, after all there's never a "guarantee of quality" for any game.

Comment

How do the debs actually get their money then if 'investors' don't actually may money up front?

Comment

$15 towards a kickstarter title is fine if compared to forty for a big release but I'd rather pay $15 for an experience like Flower than $15 for the hope of something like Flower.

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
                          How do the devs actually get their money then if 'investors' don't actually pay money up front?
                          Once the funding period ends (and it was successful) the money is taken from peoples account usually within 24 hours. The Double Fine funds have already been taken. Then a few days/week later it will be in DF's bank account.

Hundreds of small game projects have been funded before, tens during and hundreds will be funded after DF adventure and Wasteland 2. Whether on kickstater, indiegogo or other crowd funding sites. Larger projects don't hurt smaller ones, they aid them by making people aware of new funding methods.

Comment

Ah. This (below) is incorrect?
                            Originally posted by Guts View Post
                            I'd say putting down $15 (which you don't pay if the game doesn't get made)

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
                              Ah. This (below) is incorrect?
                              It's correct. If the timer runs down to zero and 9999.99$ has been pledged for a 10000$ total, the project doesn't get funded. No one is charged any money.

When you pledge money you have to sign into Amazon payment so they can verify you have a valid credit/debit card. No money is transferred or held during the funding period. There is no risk to you if pledge 15$ and the project doesn't reach it's goal.

Comment

Working...
                              X