Lost Planet 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost Planet 3

Hurrah! One of my favourite game series of this generation is getting a third chapter!

A trailer was posted on YouTube and quickly taken down. The all-CGI footage showed a new character being chased by aliens in the snowy wastes and climbing into a mech to take on an even bigger enemy. The footage concludes with the news that it will be released in "Early 2013".

However, it would appear that developer duties has been moved from Capcom to California-based Spark Unlimited. If you don't know who they are, they made Turning Point: Fall of Liberty and Legendary. Neither of which were particularly well received. Capcom's stated policy is to create new franchises in-house in Japan and then let Western developers work on sequels, but do you think this is a bad move by Capcom?

Do you think it's a good idea, but, judging by Slant Six's recent attempt with Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City, are they choosing the wrong developers?

Last edited by QualityChimp; 10-04-2012, 13:59. Reason: Paragraphs

Everything about this screams bad. The trouble is Capcom haven't even settled on what they want Lost Planet to be before they pass it on to someone else to work on, then when they do they pick a studio who's output is amongst this generations worst. Whoever makes the studio decisions at Capcom needs a thorough slap. Farming them out is okay as long as you take care of who you're farming them too. Capcoms mission to erode every one of its franchises this gen continues in earnest.

Comment

Sounds a bad idea, the last one was wicked in some ways, could never get passed that train level on my own 0_o.

Comment

Uh oh. I absolutely loved the first two. Either Capcom just don't seem to be learning from their mistakes or the outsourced stuff sells well enough on the name alone to justify continuing the practice. Shame that LP doesn't command the same sort of goodwill that Resident Evil has, especially after so many people writing off the second one. I can see this burying the franchise for a few years if it turns out badly.

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
          Everything about this screams bad. The trouble is Capcom haven't even settled on what they want Lost Planet to be before they pass it on to someone else to work on, then when they do they pick a studio who's output is amongst this generations worst. Whoever makes the studio decisions at Capcom needs a thorough slap. Farming them out is okay as long as you take care of who you're farming them too. Capcoms mission to erode every one of its franchises this gen continues in earnest.
          Huh I thought LP II to be really good , Its only major trouble was like RE 5 too much focus was put on the Multi Player side at the expense of the single player mode (which was still great) If Capcom can just get that part right , then its on to a winner imo. Just need to see some gameplay before pressing the panic button , I don't like out sourcing IP but Capcom are only a team of 800 odd people and they're probably up to their necks in it with RE6 and DD

I hope the series goes back to being a single player game 1st and foremost

Comment

I am not sure why that is the view of so many with Resi, the only reason I played 5 was because I could sit there with a friend and play mercenaries and the main campaign. I wouldn't have touched it otherwise.

Comment

I did have some fun with LP2 but it was a step back overall. The studio they've chosen haven't made a properly functional single player game yet and have no real multiplayer experience. From all the western studios out there it screams Capcom went budget.

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
                I did have some fun with LP2 but it was a step back overall. The studio they've chosen haven't made a properly functional single player game yet and have no real multiplayer experience. From all the western studios out there it screams Capcom went budget.
                Have to see, I thought the same with MercurySteam and konami and LOS ends up being one of the best games I've ever played in any generation

Comment

I really enjoyed Lost Planet 1 and found the multiplayer to be one of the best I'd ever played. However, I didn't feel compelled to re-play the single-player campaign as it felt so lonely.

Lost Planet 2 got played over and over and over. In story co-op and the various multiplayer modes, but mainly the former.

The plot is pretty nonsensical, but I kind of like how it's a selection of different scenarios - jail break, jungle, snowstorm, space, lava, ruined city, sewers, beach assault, slums, factory, Submarine base, desert, underwater, oil rig and so on.

It's easily been one of my favourite co-op games and I've got great memories of blasting screen-filling enemies dressed as Jack West whilst Elaniel ran around with a teddy bear backpack!

Gamesradar's review said "If you respond well to this image, please read on"

Comment

LP2 was amazing , what i talking about? It is amazing , simple , beautifull , quite entertaining , awesome free DLCs. Pity that i couldn't find reliable partners to play it again and again. Tough like and all games it has few issues , the one most annoying - fish eyes syndrome in all game based graphic movies. That was ... even little scary. And new trailer shows more personality . Look forward to this game.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                      Have to see, I thought the same with MercurySteam and konami and LOS ends up being one of the best games I've ever played in any generation
                      Very good example, everybody freaked out about that one.

Lost Planet 2 was excellent, quite a contrast to Lost Planet 1 in terms of it being so co-op focused, but excellent none the less.
                      There was a really awesome level in Lost Planet 2 where you are on a giant sand crawler type thing and you and you co-op partners have to run all over it, pressing buttons to rearm the canon, 1 player aiming it whilst another tells the gunner where to aim. Brilliant even just in 2 -player , it would of been even better with 4. A real stand out moment for me.

Comment

LP2 really shone when you had a team of dedicated players, which I why I suspect that it garnered such middling reviews. When I first started I played with a group of friends that moaned about the save system, so I left them for another group and we had a great time- co-op story mode during the first part of the evening and competitive multiplayer afterwards. It's a shame to see that Capcom seem to be shying away from this model with LP3 and Dragon's Dogma, but I hope that LP3 will have a co-op option in the end.

Comment

Lost planet 2 was certainly one of the most underrated games of this generation, I liked it more than the first one which made it all the more confusing that it wasn't anywhere near as well received.

Trouble is, becuase of the reception that LP2 got I find it doubtful that this will be anything like that game.

Comment

Lost Planet 1 was ace, as was what little I played of 2... This looks asskraxx though.

Comment

Going off the one or two screens that are out and the FMV trailer there seems to be a very strong attempt to make a westernised Lost Planet 1 so I imagine it'll be single player focused with LP1's more traditional multiplayer set up resurrected. Singleplayer coop I expect is gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X