Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just had a look at the Threadrippers. Great for SLI and streaming and doing everything at one time, actually. Also nice to see Intel get some competition at last.

Who knows, I might get bottle-necked if I do start VR work and will need to build something revolving around Ryzen later on down the line. I really like their packaging too, for what that's worth.

Comment

This IPS display is going back in exchange for the TN. Atrocious back light bleed which is giving me a brown vignette on black, and a purple vignette on white... all with overly saturated reds, even after calibration.

Also, that 4ms... Smudge-o-vision with rapid moving backgrounds, I've only tried Sonic Mania and that's not even 144/165hz.

Comment

Is it all set up and running, [MENTION=1482]dataDave[/MENTION]? Pics, please!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          Is it all set up and running, [MENTION=1482]dataDave[/MENTION]? Pics, please!
          Are you kidding? I've had around 70 hours of work to do this week and I'm not anywhere near done.

Everything other than the monitor is still all boxed up behind me. Oh, I did get a new keyboard though. A Logitech G513 with linear keys. It's really sweet, and the lighting is lush.

Comment

Sorry, I misread what you'd put as stuff you'd done on this new PC.
            Work sucks, but it pays for shiny new PCs, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
              Are you kidding? I've had around 70 hours of work to do this week and I'm not anywhere near done.

Everything other than the monitor is still all boxed up behind me. Oh, I did get a new keyboard though. A Logitech G513 with linear keys. It's really sweet, and the lighting is lush.
              I got a Logitech g810 last year and it’s the best keyboard I’ve ever had. Mechanical switches are absolutely spot on, durable too (as my nephew can account to smooshing his toys into it), key spacing is perfect.

Being able to colour code each individual key to anything I want is a god send as well.
              Last edited by fishbowlhead; 04-05-2018, 11:37.

Comment

Linear keys (red switches) were nice for repeated button presses (gaming) but I much prefer my blues for typing. Been hammering on my Filco Majestouch for 7 years now and still going strong.

Comment

I kind of wanted the tactile keys but glad I didn't now, as this one is loud enough when everyone has gone to bed.

What I like about this one is how discrete it is. You really have to study it to find the Logitech logo, other than that it looks totally unbranded. It could sit alongside practically any other black desk equipment and fit in perfectly. It also has a sturdy weight to it - it's not going anywhere.

Really disappointed with the display though. I can't believe they cost this much and can have so much wrong with them, especially after the glowing reviews which led me to buy one in the first place. I should have gone with my 1ms gut from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                    I should have gone with my 1ms gut from the start.
                    Wow! You're gut instinct has a really quick response time!

Comment

New monitor on its way.

Ticks all the boxes for what I need right now at a decent price to boot.

Comment

That's less than I paid for my 1080p 60Hz Dell U2417H!

I do love the Dell though, the Ultrasharp range never fail to impress me.

Comment

Not sure where to put this. Any downsides (apart from price) to getting a 1.5TB SSD? I keep flirting with the idea of a 150GB SSD for the system and then keeping files and pics on a normal drive (for my PC) but it seems such a faff having "my documents" and stuff on a different drive. Am I being daft? Should I just get on with the 150GB thing?

Also, has anyone tried a PCIe SSD? Will the difference between that and an mSata be noticeable? Actually how do I know what my motherboard supports? I have this: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...P-D3-rev-10#ov

And I presume my best bet if I get the 150 size is to reinstall windows fresh.

I probably asked all the same questions before the forum data loss.
                          Last edited by charlesr; 05-05-2018, 19:16.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                            Not sure where to put this. Any downsides (apart from price) to getting a 1.5TB SSD? I keep flirting with the idea of a 150GB SSD for the system and then keeping files and pics on a normal drive (for my PC) but it seems such a faff having "my documents" and stuff on a different drive. Am I being daft? Should I just get on with the 150GB thing?

Also, has anyone tried a PCIe SSD? Will the difference between that and an mSata be noticeable? Actually how do I know what my motherboard supports? I have this: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...P-D3-rev-10#ov

And I presume my best bet if I get the 150 size is to reinstall windows fresh.
                            Do you mean m2 ssd’s? Much faster than a sata ssd, noticeably faster in all situations. Next system I get I’m going to make sure the motherboard supports m2. If you can go for it.

If no m2 slot then I’d just go for the biggest sata ssd you can get and use 1 drive.

Good deal on 960gb sata ssd here if it helps.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sandisk-ultra-ii-960gb-ssd-further-20-reduction-136-instore-maplin-2936000
                            Last edited by fishbowlhead; 05-05-2018, 18:57.

Comment

Scan says there's this PCIe stuff: https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer...c-add-in-cards Different from M.2

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                                Good deal on 960gb sata ssd here if it helps.
                                Cheers. I've got 121GB free of 930GB at the moment. Seems a bit tight.

Comment

Working...
                                X