X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dataDave View Post

Cock out.

Need to work out how much cable I need and go back next week, as it was a bit of an impulse purchase.
    Cock out indeed!
    That's the same Denon Amp I have. You'll really like that amp. I don't have an Atmos sound set up though, just 7.1. Need to upgrade the speakers for that.

Comment

I'll be adding an Atmos solution at some point in the near future, before potentially moving on to upgrade bits. Neighbours permitting.
      I've a Denon 2700h with an Atmos setup on my Q Acoustics gear, it's great.
      3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

I actually haven't owned a receiver since I was a toddler in the mid-eighties, so I have no idea what could be so good about something that simply gets stuff plugged into it and powers speakers.

I do like the calibration mic that comes with it for getting the objectively perfect EQ settings. I spent forever having to manually piss around doing that with my headphones. Is there any guff that I strictly need to turn off? For me the volume normalisation is usually the first thing that goes out the window.

Due to roadworks our car got diverted to the hi-fi shop yesterday, so I nipped in and got my cables. Then spent two hours stripping and plugging them last night, so I can start getting everything working this afternoon.

Comment

FLAC’ing my tits off at the minute. Had some issues with the sub connection being intermittent during the calibration, but re-seating the cable a few times at both ends seems to have sorted it. Mild concerns.

Comment

Very nice. I have Dalis, just dinky Zensor Picos all the way round as I live in a flat. Thinking of upgrading the fronts to full size Zensors though. My amp is a slimline Marantz NR1508.

Comment

Had some issues with the sub connection being intermittent during the calibration, but re-seating the cable a few times at both ends seems to have sorted it. Mild concerns.
              Nothing wrong with my sub. The problem is that the fronts are drowning everything else out because they're already way beyond overkill for our room. I either have to turn the fronts all the way down (which works great at night time) or ramp up the sub to match the fronts (which threatens police intervention).

Watched Fury Road (DTS) three times in two days already. It really is the best film. I even sat through The Force Awakens last night purely because of the audio.

Comment

The Matrix, Blade and of course Saving Private Ryan are very good movies for showcasing a decent surround setup. I particularly like the treble of the falling shell casings in the lobby scene of The Matrix.

Comment

I finally managed to work all of this out, setting all of the speakers to 'small', and crossovers at 80Hz (Audyssey setup made them all 40Hz, lol). I can now get things quite a bit louder without rumbling the foundations of my entire street. I might bring the towers back down to 60Hz for a little added richness, but I'm going to leave it as-is for a couple of weeks first. Other than that I've just the phase to decide upon for the sub, either option doesn't seem to be making any difference so far.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                    The Matrix, Blade and of course Saving Private Ryan are very good movies for showcasing a decent surround setup. I particularly like the treble of the falling shell casings in the lobby scene of The Matrix.
                    Tried all of these. I’ve honestly not noticed that those shell casings are jingling throughout that entire scene until now.

The pod race from The Phantom Menace is a good one for multiple frequencies. It’s like they didn’t put any music over it on purpose because they knew what they were onto. Probably my favourite Star Wars scene, and I actively hate anything non-OT.

Comment

Started speccing up a new PC as my 2012 xeon and 780ti were long in the tooth, was looking to cost me £1700 which is fukt, typically build my own if not as least get a custom build. Spot of luck and against my IT background found a lenovo pre build with the same spec onhotukdeals for £1145... Ryzen 7 5800 + RTX 3070. Needless to sawbit their arm off.
                      Last edited by Baseley09; 31-05-2022, 07:27.

Comment

That’s great. I might even upgrade to a prebuilt once the 40XX is out, as I can’t imagine sourcing a card any other way. It was hard enough getting my 3080 (and that’s forgetting the massive risk I took with getting it shipped to a random German address), now things are 100x worse.

Comment

Indeed my eyes popped out my head, was going to drop 650 - 699.99 on a 3070 on its own so in the end no brainer.

Comment

Refreshing the current config now that prices are low. I wanted a Noctua 3080 but after a month no retailer here could get a hold of one.

Comment

I foolishly went and ordered a GPD WinMax 2 Ryzen 6800U with 32GB and 4G LTE card. I am enjoying my Win Max 2021 so much, but the screen resolution was a bit limiting. Oh and I was always hitting Q when I wanted to hit Tab.
                              Power consumption, battery life, form factor, gaming controls and power under the hood were all fine. I just wanted it a little bigger. I'm hoping the 2 will deliver. The extra user accessible storage slot is a plus, too.

I wrote foolishly because it's a decadent outlay given I just got the WinMax 2021 in March.

Comment

Got everything set up, and everything seems to be working fine. Still have have to play anything though, I installed Elden Ring and MS Flight Simulator and I'll try the latter hopefully today. I spent a good chunk of yesterday's afternoon downloading it, all of its 150GBs. During the installation procedure I first mistakenly read 1.49TB as the installation size instead of the free space on disk :P

I can comment on the monitor though...first it's much lighter than expected, it almost felt as heavy as the 27" it's replacing.
                                Technically the PG32UQ has a lot going on: DSC, VRR and ALLM over HDMI, an almost useless HDR600 certification, Freesync Premium Pro...and yet, the G-Sync logo is all over the place (even on the power-on splash screen...because all Asus monitor have those now) despite it being just G-Sync Compatible.
                                It has two HDMI 2.1 ports but unfortunately only one DP port. I don't have any HDMI 2.1 sources, so can't really say anything about variable refresh rates from consoles.

32" is a much better fit for 3840x2160, the old 27" is sitting next to it and everything looks so small on it. Still getting how big the 32" screen is though.
                                I like that when switching sources the monitor doesn't "turn off" the other, leading to no blank screen.

What I don't like is that you cannot turn off auto-source switching, and that all "gaming monitors" seem to place buttons on the backside. Both Asus and Acer monitos I own have them on the right side, which makes difficult to access one of the set if you have them side by side...at the very least I'd like the power button on the front...or even on the underside like some HP monitors do.

I still need to calibrate it, and it's in dire need of it...we have some Asus ProArt monitors at work and both those and the PG32UQ have a warm white point, and the 32 is kinda low on contrast.

Comment

Working...
                                X