This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
    I finally got myself my own Apple laptop. It’s only the very base level MacBook Air (M2), but it should do me for my Figma work and occasional light front-end coding. To be honest I only care about the portability and battery life, as lugging around 12KG of old gaming laptop and power brick (the battery had long died) was becoming seriously tiresome.

Disappointingly the Magic Mouse I ordered with it doesn’t sit flush on flat surfaces, so that needs replacing.
    I would probably have suggested the 16GB version so it isn't using the SSD for swap all the time, although you'll probably have upgraded before that even matters.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
        I would probably have suggested the 16GB version so it isn't using the SSD for swap all the time, although you'll probably have upgraded before that even matters.
        I would have naturally gone for the 16GB, but I'm pitching for some work next week and there was a two week wait for any upgraded models.

I don't like a messy workspace (with dozens of browser tabs) so I might not be affected that much by the low amount of RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
          I would have naturally gone for the 16GB, but I'm pitching for some work next week and there was a two week wait for any upgraded models.

I don't like a messy workspace (with dozens of browser tabs) so I might not be affected that much by the low amount of RAM.
          All I know is that discord, chrome and qbittorrent is enough to use over 8GB on my machine. But it may be using that free RAM because it is free and optimise better for a smaller quantity.

Comment

Chrome and qBit are monsters, even on my desktop.

I watched a bit of a film in bed last night. Felt like a yuppie. Although I do love not having to worry about dust getting sucked in anywhere. The screen and speakers are pretty great as well.

Comment

I've found Chrome to be a bit bloaty as well.

I got a new Dell lappy last year, old one was struggling with handling RAW's from the Z 9, only having NX Studio open was using all the 8gb of RAM so it went into virtual memory land.
              New one has 16gb so now no issues at all memory wise, though it does complain a bit when I'm on the 4k monitor set to 100%.

Comment

So far so good with the Mac after the first two weeks. Unfortunately the Figma app was draining battery like a MF (from 90 to 10 in just a couple of hours) so instead I’ve installed the web app using Microsoft Edge. That fixed that, and it’s a lot faster than the app as well. I’m mostly surprised by the comfort with working on such a small screen, as I thought that might have been a problem - flicking between full-screen apps with the two-finger swipe is lovely.

Performance couldn’t be better, either. I’ve no desire to go after the 16GB version.

Comment

I wanted to pick this up later this year, but it was on offer for a grand off, so I got it now. Will have fun this weekend rewiring everything.

Comment

Not really gaming related, but got some Bowers and Wilkins 606 S2 Anniversary Edition bookshelf speakers in the same (the S3 just came out). Half price. I was using some twenty year old MIssion M71i before and I'm astonished how much difference 20 years can make - they are wonderful. The recent 100W Sony amp I'm using is powering them effortlessly.

And B&W just sent me some Pi5 S2 (because the battery in my Pi5 S1 failed on one ear). Not sure what they've changed, but they sound great (same as the old ones I guess).

Comment

Working...
                    X