Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the exact one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Seri.../dp/B009LI7C9Y

Just seen the silver pro... I want one...

Amazing really. I've upgraded so little in the past 3 years and my pc still kills every game.

Comment

I decided that my audio experience (currently the onboard motherboard audio plus some ten quid JVC headphones) isn't quite up to the standards of the rest of my PC, so I bought:

Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card

Edifier R1600T Studio Plus 2.0 Monitors

?80 for the lot, including delivery, from Overclockers (thanks to the speakers being on sale this week).

Comment

Those Edifier have always seemed pretty decent for the price.

Will be interesting to know how you feel about them.

Comment

I've been meaning to buy some speakers for ages and all the positive reviews were tempting me when they were ?80, so at ?50 I couldn't resist. I'm no audiophile so I'm sure I'll find them more than good enough.

I wasn't sure if I actually needed the sound card or not, but it was only ?20 and all the reviews said it was a great upgrade on onboard audio for that price. Plus it gives me a chance to open up the PC and tinker around inside

Comment

Trying to recommend a cheap laptop for some family who are not technically minded. Would a Chromebook be suitable?

I can't seem to figure out if they have any internal storage...

All they want is Word, Excel and internet, cheap as poss. Any advice appreciated.

Comment

Chromebooks literally just run Chrome. Everything you do on them is in the web browser, so they won't be running Word or Excel, they'll be using Google Docs, and they'll need to have an internet connection at all times in order to use it.

They're cheap and light, but limited.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsThere View Post
                Trying to recommend a cheap laptop for some family who are not technically minded. Would a Chromebook be suitable?

I can't seem to figure out if they have any internal storage...

All they want is Word, Excel and internet, cheap as poss. Any advice appreciated.
                How about something like this...

From gaming to creative works, an AMD laptop has the power to bring your visual dreams to life with spectacular displays and unbeatable internal components.

Acer Laptop for ?250.00 not a bad spec but quite small screen at 11.6"

Or you could have this 15.6" laptop from HP for the same price...

From gaming to creative works, an AMD laptop has the power to bring your visual dreams to life with spectacular displays and unbeatable internal components.

My parents are just about to replace their old Laptop (had it 7 years!!!) & I think they will be going for the HP as it does everything they need & is a nice cheap price

Neil

Comment

Perfect - thanks both.

Comment

I've recently updated my NAS/media streamer using an HP microserver n54l which currently has ?100 cashback so ?125 e.g. DABS

I installed the Synology equivalent - Xpenology Install guide using 4x 3Tb Toshiba HDDs

This little box runs at 35w and takes care of all file serving, PC and Mac (Time Machine) backups, TV PVR (Sickbeard), IP camera recording and streaming using Plex for video to a Samsung smart TV/360/IOS/Android and Audio station to an Apple Airport express for perfect digital bitstreaming to an AV amp.

I'm really pleased with it especially as a comparable Synology/QNAP would be ?2k+

I also added a UPS

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
                      I've recently updated my NAS/media streamer using an HP microserver n54l which currently has ?100 cashback so ?125 e.g. DABS

I installed the Synology equivalent - Xpenology Install guide using 4x 3Tb Toshiba HDDs

This little box runs at 35w and takes care of all file serving, PC and Mac (Time Machine) backups, TV PVR (Sickbeard), IP camera recording and streaming using Plex for video to a Samsung smart TV/360/IOS/Android and Audio station to an Apple Airport express for perfect digital bitstreaming to an AV amp.

I'm really pleased with it especially as a comparable Synology/QNAP would be ?2k+

I also added a UPS
                      Nice! This seems to be the way that many folks are going at the moment.. How much did you pay for the 4 3Tb disks?

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                        How about something like this...

Acer Laptop for ?250.00 not a bad spec but quite small screen at 11.6"

Or you could have this 15.6" laptop from HP for the same price...

My parents are just about to replace their old Laptop (had it 7 years!!!) & I think they will be going for the HP as it does everything they need & is a nice cheap price

Neil
                        Helped a friend buy a Dell Lappy the other day 15" win8.1 touchscreen. cost about ?500 all in and is a lovely bit of kit.

I would suggest to never ever buy Lenovo Laptops - I've got one and it's rubbish.

Comment

Originally posted by k0pp0 View Post
                          Nice! This seems to be the way that many folks are going at the moment.. How much did you pay for the 4 3Tb disks?
                          They were ?80 each from Ebuyer. They are currently more expensive there but cheaper on Dabs/Scan.
                          I think 3Tb are still the best price for capacity.
                          With the modified BIOS I can add an additional 2 disks to the N54L so have a bit of expansion if required.
                          Last edited by smouty; 11-03-2014, 15:23.

Comment

so today i got a corsair h60i cooler.My 8350 was just getting to hot with the stock cooler plus inside the case was hot

Installed it and set it so the fan sucks air in from the back (which is connected to the water cooler radiator) and then my old 120 mm fan then blows the air out of the top

Got to say really impressed less then 10 min to set up and idle runs at 35c and load would get to around 45-50 (previous was 65c+)

Also got a 270x which was dirt cheap on dabs.com to replace my cross fire 6950 the micro stutter was just getting to annoying.Faster then a single 6950 but more important the stutter seems to have gone

Comment

Got my new microphone delivered last week. Big thanks to Speedy for the recommendation. It's the Blue Snowball.

Comment

Let me know how you get on with it!

Comment

Working...
                                X