Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LEDs and cosmetic light sources should be banned from computer and peripherals. I would gladly pay more to have a closed sidewall, I have to deal with one of those fancy and useless tempered glass windows on the new case. The Noctua fans are the only touch of colour inside the case, so no, they will remain as they are.

Comment

I built a little wanglebox to accompany my threadripper machine. This one is mainly for playing and storing dvds, we are currently archiving all of pinny's old kung fu collection stuff. I had to wait ages for the case, a Coolermaster N400. It can hold 4 ssds, 4 normal hard drives and a standard dvd drive, but is only mATX in size. The mobo is an Asrock B450M steel legend, and the CPU is a Athlon 200ge running at 3.8ghz, with a cheap AMD cooler I got.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
        Putting the aftermarket neon in there later to mask the dull beige and brown fans?
        We men of Noctua show our colours proudly!

Comment

Happy

Comment

I just got new laptop. Nothing amazing compared to the rigs you chaps are building, but a big step up from my 6 year old Samsung notebook/tablet hybrid, which I was starting to hit the 4GB (soldered RAM) ceiling with a single VM and it felt noticeably slower after Spectre and Meltdown fixes in the OS.

Shop de nyeste Acer-produkter fra Chromebooks, bærbare computere, skærme, stationære pc'er og projektorer til kontor-, hjemme- og underholdningsbrug.

I know people hate on Acer but I have had several good experiences with their products over the years.

Has 256gb ssd but a bay to put a 2.5 hdd/ssd in and has 16gb of ram, but room for an extra stick. I haven't had time to open up the ram slot yet, but I'm led to believe that it's got 1 stick in it, rather than 2×8gb, which means I need another stick to go dual channel.

It's only got a 1080p screen and R560x discrete gfx but I'm not a massive PC gamer, so I'm ok with that.

Forgot to mention (for those who didn't hit the link) that it's Ryzen based, 2700U quad core with a TDP of 15w (incredible).

I wiped it to get rid of all the bloatware junk with a clean Win 10 professional.
            Last edited by gunrock; 18-08-2019, 03:58.

Comment

If i get a job in the next few months (fingers crossed had a few promising interviews )

My upgrade path will be, 16gb dd4 probably either 2666 or 3000, a m.2 nvme drive and a monitor, monitor i am hoping to get will be 144hz and a ips (used a Ips screen and found it hard to go back to TN even with the issues That Ips panels have with games )

But it seems like Ips panels are out which has stuff like 144hz and faster response times like this one https://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-a...1-400cd-m-hdmi

Also chances are will sell my 1070 and go to a 2070 or 2060 super

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                I just got new laptop. Nothing amazing compared to the rigs you chaps are building, but a big step up from my 6 year old Samsung notebook/tablet hybrid, which I sæsonen Vitting the 4GB (soldered RAM) ceiling with a single VM and it felt noticeably slower after Spectre and Meltdown fixes in the OS.

Shop de nyeste Acer-produkter fra Chromebooks, bærbare computere, skærme, stationære pc'er og projektorer til kontor-, hjemme- og underholdningsbrug.

I know people hate on Acer but I have had several good experiences with their products over the years.

Has 256gb ssd but a bay to put a 2.5 hdd/ssd in and has 16gb of ram, but room for an extra stick. I haven't had time to open up the ram slot yet, but I'm led to believe that it's got 1 stick in it, rather than 2×8gb, which means I need another stick to go dual channel.

It's only got a 1080p screen and R560x discrete gfx but I'm not a massive PC gamer, so I'm ok with that.

Forgot to mention (for those who didn't hit the link) that it's Ryzen based, 2700U quad core with a TDP of 15w (incredible).

I wiped it to get rid of all the bloatware junk with a clean Win 10 professional.
                Acer has amazing monitors. Their quality control is a bit ****te but overall they have good products.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                  But it seems like Ips panels are out which has stuff like 144hz and faster response times like this one https://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-a...1-400cd-m-hdmi
                  I have the big brother of that monitor, the 27" 4K version. It's OK, the build quality is fine; I think I've been lucky gettin my unit because it doesn't have a lot of bleed, and it's uniform except around the upper border where it has a noticeable drop in brightness when displaying light colours.
                  IIRC Dell has some decent IPS 144hz monitor available, I would have went with one of those but I really wanted a 4K monitor without going to Asus' or Acer's flagships: those have an active cooling fan and every time I read about those monitors everyone is complaining about them.

Comment

I dunno if its just me though but i remember years ago playing World of Warcraft on a older CRT monitor and it felt like the colors just popped out and were vibrant.

When i went to the first TN panel i was happy with the smaller size but just felt color wise it was lacking but even now with a IPS panel unless its just rose tinted glasses color wise nothing has been as good as the old CRT monitor i had .

I did have a G-synce 144hz tn panel but past year have been getting this weird issues where its almost like a burn in but sometimes images will stay on screen for a while

Comment

Just acquired a P4 1.8GHz with 1GB of RAM. lol. My dad thought it was the subwoofer so it had been under his desk since last century. The huge circular Dell logo on the side looks like a speaker diaphragm in the dark under the desk.

Comment

Is it a Prescot? It can double as a room heater then

Comment

I connected it to the Internet. Armageddon unleashed on you all.

Also, it downloaded an xp update. I though xp support was dead?

Comment

There are a couple of updates available to deal with some serious vulnerabilities, I think Spectre and Meltdown are part of those. But I always thought that "support" meant to develop new patches rather than making them unavailable.

Comment

Ah makes sense

Comment

Last time I put xp in a machine the viruses arrived before the updates!

Comment

Working...
                                X