Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the 256GB version of that drive. The 4TB version also costs more than the PC I built last year.

Comment

I’ve had a 850 Pro since 2015 and it’s been solid.

Half retired it to my laptop due to getting NVMe in my desktop but the 10 year warranty on the Samsung drive is highly encouraging!

Comment

New TV arrived today, a Sony KD-49XF9005. The XG range is coming out soon so I managed to pick this up for a decent price, or so I thought. It might be a tad large for my room, but oh well. Image is fantastic. Settings are stock for now, I just turned off whatever motion processing it has by default and also the automatic brightness sensor thingy. Runs Android too so I was able to download and install the Crunchyroll app alongside the existing Netflix and YouTube ones that came with the TV. Should perform for what I want it for admirably. Very happy with this purchase!

Comment

8BitDo’s M30 finally arrived this morning. It’s like a JPN MD and Saturn hybrid, and quite possibly the greatest non-analog controller ever made. Hyper on SwitchU is sublime to play with it.
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
            8BitDo’s M30 finally arrived this morning.
            That looks beautiful.

Comment

Just got my new network environment started: a QNAP TVS-872XT (8x8TB in RAID 6 + 1TB SSD for caching), a Netgear Nighthawk SX-10 switch, an Aquantia-based 10GbE network card for the PC, and of course 10GbE cables for the PC and NAS.
              Now onto moving 20+TB from the old NAS to the new one...

Comment

I've started building my new PC today. It was just the case, fans, PSU, and one 5" bay unit, but it took me almost three hours. The HDDs are on their way, and I'm waiting for Ryzen 3 to drop and make my choice on CPU, mobo, RAM, and GPU. Maybe I'll get a 4K monitor as well.

Anyway, the case I went with is the Dark Base Pro 900 v.2 by BeQuiet!, and I'm quite happy with the choice. It's a full tower case with one tempered glass side (could have done without it), comes with three 140mm fans installed, USB 3 and 3.1 ports on the front. The 3 fans have rubber gaskets to reduce vibrations of the screws that are holding them, and the case itself can be stripped down to the frame and the internals can be rearranged in a number of ways. There's even a Qi charger on top.
                I stripped the case down almost completely, then replaced the 3 fans with Noctua 104mm PWM fans. The Noctua fans are 100RPM slower than what was preinstalled (1600RPM), but I've added two other 140mm fans on the bottom, close to the PSU, and three 120mm on top. Preinstalled fans were rated at 28dB, Noctua's are 24, and all reviews I've read say the case is well insulated acustically, so I hope the loudest noise will come from other equipment. If it turns out too loud, I'll just downvolt the fans...there should be plenty of airflow with 8 fans spread across the case.

The PUS is a Seasonic 750W. Rather small I must say, I though it would be bigger. Fully modular, I've already attache ATX, PCIE, SATA, and molex cables.

Molex? Yep, I'm using a single molex connector to power a 5" Silverstone FP-36 unit with card reader (CF, SD, mSD, etc), 3 extra USB 3 ports, and one quick-charge port (no data on this though). I would have used the 3" unit I have but the case doesn't have a 3" space, and the one I have is USB 2, so...yeah, more money but I'm happy.

Comment

I've bashed Acer in the past for their build "quality", but no review ever mentioned issues with that. Hopefully they were right.

Comment

I have a lot of good experiences over the years with Acer, but wouldn't recommend them, unreservedly. I don't think you can guarantee the quality, but I think if you're selective, on a case-by-case basis, you can get some good kit from them at reasonable prices.

Comment

So far no major complains about the build quality, but I don't particularly like the OSD and the decision of having buttons on the back of the monitor. Dell spoiled me on these two things, but they don't have a monitor with similar specs.

Comment

Hoping to get a new monitor , have a AOC g2460pg Gsync monitor but its getting this really really bizarre issues which i am struggling to get information about

Its like a cross between screen burn and clouding, like at this moment i see a faint line going across the screen but sometimes i would see a square out line and even saw some text, but the bizarre thing is sometimes it would completely disappear.

But anyway after using a IPS panel and loving the screen quality I am hoping to get one of those but with a higher refresh rate

Comment

GPU for the new PC arrived, a MSI Gaming Trio X 2080. A beast of a card! Barely fits into a full tower case (Bequiet! Dark Base Pro v.2) with extra HDD cages installed. The card also comes with an extra metal bracket for support. And a comic book on how to install the card. And a CD with drivers.

Comment

New PC almost completed. It's missing a couple of HDDs (currently in use in the old PC) and more importantly the CPU. And no store can tell me a firm date on when they'll get any kind of 3x00-series Ryzen. The cooler brackets are already in place, checked for RAM clearance, and the motherboard comes with a heat spreader for the NVME drive, so now you can't even see that.
                            I've tried to use the support bracket included in the graphics card, but it's completely useless.

Comment

Looks lush!

Comment

Putting the aftermarket neon in there later to mask the dull beige and brown fans?

Comment

Working...
                                X