No announcement yet.

The Elder Scrolls Online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The previews I've read have essentially said it's a stripped back Skyrim (sitting, books etc removed) with all of Tamriel to explore

Comment

?9 just seems.....steep.

whats wrong with 4 or 5 quid.

Surely thats plenty enough revenue, and enough to warrant fence sitters coming on.

Comment

To play ESO on XBO you will need XBL Gold and the games sub, on PS4 you will need the games sub but don't require a PSN+ sub

Comment

No one is going to pay ?9 per month for an MMO in 2014. That model is dead.

This will be free to play within about 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
            http://www.computerandvideogames.com...-subscription/

To play ESO on XBO you will need XBL Gold and the games sub, on PS4 you will need the games sub but don't require a PSN+ sub
            Oh here we go again ..... Cue the luddites moaning about how you have to have two subs .. Given that the majority of XBO owners have a gold sub anyway I don't see what the issue is. Yet another reason for peeps to jump on Microsoft.

Comment

UPDATE #2 7.20PM GMT: Console gameplay footage was shown during an Elder Scrolls Online livestream this afternoon. I've…

Live feed twitch on it now, ESO is coming to consoles on 9th June. It is also dropping its subscription across all versions. Those keeping their subs will get access to exclusive items etc but for most the standard game will hit on March 17th on PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                It is also dropping its subscription across all versions
                And it's gone from "I'll probably never play it" to "I'll never play it".

I've yet to play an MMORPG that has done this in a manner I find tolerable.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post

Vindicated! Although it took 12 months not 6.

Comment

Well nearly, it's not free to play as you still have to stump up ?50 for the game.

Comment

Haha what? It was ?50 and a tenner a month?

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post

I do. This model has worked fine for Final Fantasy 11 and 14. WoW has done pretty well out of it too. Now this is free to play I'll never play it. Quality content cannot come from this.

Comment

Personally I didn't like the limited pay options of FFXIV though I understand why it was that way.
                          I would have preferred a pay as you play option as I wanted to play it fairly casually.

Comment

This game sucks though.

Comment

Originally posted by djtickle View Post
                              I do. This model has worked fine for Final Fantasy 11 and 14. WoW has done pretty well out of it too. Now this is free to play I'll never play it. Quality content cannot come from this.
                              WoW has done well out of it no doubt, but it's certainly the exception rather than the rule!

While there are a niche of users who will be willing to pay a sub (like yourself), I genuinely don't think this is viable for the mass market in the way that it was 5 - 10 years ago. I mean look at how many MMOs, hoping to emulate the success of WoW, that we've seen crash and burn over the last few years.

Because it's only a niche of players that will pay ?10 a month, market saturation is reached very quickly. The market can only really support about 2 games like this at most. If you were developing an MMO today and you didn't build it around an FTP model, you wouldn't have done your due diligence properly.

Comment

FTP has the exact same problem built in. Only a tiny percentage actually pay money worth a damn but across massive user numbers that can amount to huge sums of cash... for a very tiny pool of games. It has the exact same problem as the subscription model in that the people who are willing to pay aren't likely to pay across many games. But as Marty pointed out, this simply isn't free to play.

Comment

Working...
                                X