No announcement yet.

Summer of Dreamcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surely this thread has to be retired as it is never going to be summer again? Or at least a rename is in order!

Hydro Thunder, a game I have really wanted to play recently but not sure if it's worth it. I get the feeling it's going to be horribly shallow now and those ones superb visuals will have lost impact. Not sure I want to tempt it.
    Tony Hawks 2 got some serious playtime though.

Comment

I'm on board for one game at least. Never tried Dynamite Cop so I'll pick that up for some summer shenanigans.

Originally posted by MarioMark View Post
      Here's what I'm looking to play again, a lot have been HD remade/ported but the Dreamcast originals still have reason to go back to:

MSR
      Shenmue
      Crazy Taxi - as the Xbox Live version has a lot missing, like original soundtrack, plus it doesn't even have KFC and Pizza Hut!
      Sonic Adventure - the original has the proper textures
      Sega Rally 2 - gonna try the 60FPS cheat
      Sonic Shuffle

And games that I never had originally:

Power Stone 1 or 2
      Crazy Taxi 2
      Tony Hawk's 2
      Hydro Thunder

Also some indy games if I can get them for a good price

I'll add more to the list later...
      Power Stone is freakin amaze. So glad I went back to play that.

Originally posted by Kit View Post
      Recommend giving Ecco ago. The missions and combat are a little weak but it's so much fun just swimming around exploring.
      You fool!!!!

It's ****e!

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
        You fool!!!!

It's ****e!
        HOW DARE YOU!!!

Comment

Ecco is good. Only on PS2 where it actually gives you enough clues.

Comment

Nah, theres enough clues on the DC version. I completed that ver and never got stuck due to lack of clues. Plus the underwater lighting was better.

Comment

Did you beat Ecco while the DC was still alive, Sam, or did you go back to it years later?

I did the latter and gave it loads of time but just couldn't get very far. I'll give Ecco this though, it's visually one, if not the, best looking games on the DC. Even today it's still a stunner to look at. Just needs a lock on feature for me - sooo frustrating battling that great white shark!

Comment

Kit i swear back in the summer of 2000 when i first got it and played through it i was just gobsmacked at how beautiful it was and remember showing a mate of mine the game who had no interest whatsoever in Ecco games but when he saw it in action he just sat there open mouthed and couldn't understand how a game could look that good. I don't think iv seen another game like it. I know your frustrations though as the game definitely wasn't perfect. There was some slowdown at times and as you mentioned, the controls at times could be frustrating especially when you had to do certain things like the great white shark you mentioned and getting that manta ray through those tunnels. Also the graphics above the water wern't to the standard that the underwater graphics were. flaws aside though i loved the game and the stunning soundtrack and alot of the level design was among the best i experienced. It's definitely a very tough game though and i remember getting stuck as early as the second level but once i learnt how the game did it's puzzles and how the levels were designed i got by a bit better but still got stuck alot. I think thats just how the Ecco games are though as the MD/MCD versions were just as tough.

Just imagine a modern day version on Wii U!

Comment

Ecco DotF is a thing of beauty. I completed it and adored it back in the day (DC, never saw the need for clues really) and it's still one of my favourite gaming experiences. Far from perfect of course but a gorgeous adventure. Music was beautiful too.

I would love it to get a modern rerelease, even on Vita, but I reckon it's unlikely. I agree with Sam on it being tough and that being an Ecco thing - the last level of Ecco 1 was hellish.

The Ecco guy has a Kickstarter for a spiritual sequel by the way. If anyone is interested I could probably dig up the link.

Edit: what do I need for connecting a DC to a modern LCD telly to get the best picture?

Comment

I completed Ecco on PS2 about 3 years ago and it still looked amazing. The DC version is nicer looking too. That music is incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam The Man View Post
                      Nah, theres enough clues on the DC version. I completed that ver and never got stuck due to lack of clues. Plus the underwater lighting was better.
                      Yeah I finished Ecco on the DC with not many issues back in the day (its far easier than the MD games in terms of clues) I just had a nightmare on the Hanging Water revisited stage which was so hard to beat .

The game still looks and sounds great even today

Comment

That's the one where you have to jump from bubble to bubble, right? If it's what I think it was, it was a pain in the ass. The control just seemed like it worked against that section.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          That's the one where you have to jump from bubble to bubble, right? If it's what I think it was, it was a pain in the ass. The control just seemed like it worked against that section.
                          Yep that's the one . It was hard enough as it was and not helped with the bugs and iffy frame rate on those sections . That's the only part of the game I really had issues with back in the day

Comment

Comment

Typical MJ Rocks video. Nothing of interest. Dreamcast digital camera software. Whoopie! Had that 20 years ago!

Comment

Just from looking at the thumbnail; why has he not removed the discounted/price stickers from the front of those monitors?

Comment

Working...
                                X