No announcement yet.

Cyberpunk 2077

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm all for shortness and density over sprawl. The latest Deus Ex, with its primary focus on a single city district, was great for this.

Anyway, I wonder how shass this will look and perform on my vanilla PS4. Muchos shassos, I expect.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
      I'm all for shortness and density over sprawl. The latest Deus Ex, with its primary focus on a single city district, was great for this.

Anyway, I wonder how shass this will look and perform on my vanilla PS4. Muchos shassos, I expect.
      Potato mode engaged...

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post

Worse than the Witcher3 ran on a base ps4 I expect.

Comment

Yeah, it's probably gonna suck. Especially if the rumours of the causes for the January delay are true (i.e., appalling current gen console performance).

Comment

I’ve had this pre ordered for a while but might leave it until the next gen patch is released.

Comment

After going out of their way to promise no crunch, inviting job applications on that basis, and doing countless interview rounds to promote this as a sign of their virtue relative to the scurrilous practises of other devs, CD Projekt backtracks entirely: https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/29/2...cd-projekt-red

Surprising to no-one, but a fair confirmation the game is not in a great state despite the delays. I think I'll kick this one down the tracks yonder awhile...

Comment

Another delay would suit mostly everyone just fine. No sensible person wants to play the PS4 version on a PS5, and most PC gamers can't get their hands on the new GPUs to really get the most out of it.

A delay until March/April '21 would be a win for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                  A delay until March/April '21 would be a win for everyone.
                  Except CD Projekt

The head of the studio has put out the following statement in response to the bad press/uproar:

Comment

If they're hitting crunch now and doing 6 working days a week that's actually not that had to be honest...

I mean there's crunch and then there's crunchy nut cornflakes...

Comment

I think it all depends on comments made by the staff. They are the only ones that can tell us if it's bad or not.
                      I've worked in a couple of places we're I was expected to work extra hours to get things over the line and both of those places were very different experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                        If they're hitting crunch now and doing 6 working days a week that's actually not that had to be honest....
                        It is if it's been made mandatory. Crunch is a failure of management, tired and demoralised staff rarely produce quality work. If the staff are okay with it, that's a different story - and if they are, why do you need to make it a mandatory thing?

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                          It is if it's been made mandatory. Crunch is a failure of management, tired and demoralised staff rarely produce quality work. If the staff are okay with it, that's a different story - and if they are, why do you need to make it a mandatory thing?
                          They'll have various people breathing down their neck. They said a release date which is probably contracted (face fines if they miss it) and as it's getting closer they probably realised its not going to hit it. It's mandatory because they don't have a choice, they have to get it over the line.
                          This is similar but different to when Activision do crunch. They'll set an unrealistic release date and keep staff numbers low to reduce cost, then beat them in to working. And when it's done, repeat the process for the next project.

Comment

This sort of thing just ends up resulting in more bugs - it's still a failure of management. If the date wasn't achievable then it wasn't realistic.

It looks like they do Agile development on 4-6 weeks sprints (my company does development cycles on 2 week sprints) - it's all planned out - everything sits in the hopper waiting to be allocated out and you know how much time work takes to do. You know if you're going to hit deadlines or not and so you know how much time you need and allocate for slippage.

If the staff don't have a problem with it, then that's okay, but it sounds like the crunch has leaked out, which along with "the majority of of the team understands" wording, makes me wonder if that is the case
                            Last edited by MartyG; 30-09-2020, 17:58.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                              This sort of thing just ends up resulting in more bugs - it's still a failure of management. If the date wasn't achievable then it wasn't realistic.

It looks like they do Agile development on 4-6 weeks sprints (my company does development cycles on 2 week sprints) - it's all planned out, you know how much time work takes to do. You know if you're going to hit deadlines or not and so you know how much time you need.
                              Yeah I'm not saying crunch is good but it's a reality in most software development cycles with a hard release date.

I'm a scrum master these days in a team where we don't have these pressures but it's very common. All I'm saying is 6 weeks of extra hours at the end of a 3-4 year project isn't the worst I've heard of... It still isn't ideal, but it's a reality for many.

Agree it sounds like they're doing long sprints but surely they're purely bug fixing right now and that carries a difficulty in estimating effort.

Comment

No, it's certainly not the worst I've ever heard of, but no crunch is good and in the software teams I've worked in over 20 odd years, it's never been a particuarly effective way of making up time.

If it's anything more than optomising and bug fixing, then they're in serious trouble.

Comment

Working...
                                X