Cyberpunk 2077

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
    Quite an intelligently written dive into game preordering and reviews.

https://kotaku.com/the-cyberpunk-207...ama-1845860765
    Intelligently written and kotaku in the same sentence ?? lol jk they do good articles every now and then ...along with a load of rubbish

I do find it a bit ironic they bring up Paper mags of old though, recently found a few and when the mags talk about games its just about the games without trying to shoe horn in personal beliefs or political beliefs into the text

Comment

I see a pro-CDProjekt narrative across the internet that anyone buying this on 'last-gen' consoles is a scrub and a mug, should have read the signs and therefore deserved to get themselves a broken game. Obviously this is balls. No one expected the game to look or run as splendid on current machines as the new ones or PC, but this does not mean they were then legitimate targets of receiving a broken product. The other pro-CDProjeckt narrative - that they are good guys and underdogs who always work hard to fix stuff in the end - is likewise balls: if you de-fraud someone of cash then give them their product 6 months later, you've still worked a fraud for 6 months. CDProjekt's announcement to investors on the 11th reassuring them that they've still made all the money in the world despite the negative publicity was crass in the extreme: "The company said it decided to disclose the fact Cyberpunk had already covered its costs 'due to its potential impact on investment-related decisions'". Personally I think this dev has **** the bed big time, but I know millions will fawn over them in coming months and years as they wring their hands and dig deep into this weird performance of self-flagellation - of doing penance-via-patches - that so blights the game industry.

My own confession: I bought the game on PS4 as I really fancied it and am not altogether bothered by the latest shinies, but haven't opened it so it's flying back to the retailer next week.
      Last edited by Golgo; 13-12-2020, 13:06.

Comment

Can't think of any other branch of entertainment where you can get away releasing a buggy broken product, but seeing as gamers are weak and easily controlled by hype they don't push back againt this stuff and you can now get beta releases been sold for full price under the promise that they will get around to fixing it.

Still, it does look like a interesting kind of game all the same, just should have been released next year when most of the crap has been fixed.

Comment

I'd like to hope the state of this game will be the straw that broke the camel's back and console manufacturers (can't really legislate for PCs) will start demanding that games are finished before they get released on their systems. The idea of a Day One patch being remotely the norm is just nuts, but a game that is clearly released broken to be fixed months down the line isn't helpful to anyone. I think it is encouraged by pre-orders, which is a daft system really.

I think the folks who are enjoying it now would be enjoying it more if it was released in a fit state at a later time, people get too emotional about games being delayed and it doesn't help. If a game I like the sound of isn't getting released for another few months or a year or whatever I just think "oh well, I'm sure it's for a good reason, can't be helped".

Maybe I'm the one is wrong for not being passionate enough about games, but for me there's always enough out that I don't need to eagerly await anything. I'll just wait until it gets to a price I'm happy with.

Comment

It's going to be very interesting with refunds on this, on consoles it's quite clear it's not fit for purpose and the dev hid this fact with review embargos.

Comment

I just looked at some glitch compilation and sometimes it seems penis clips through trows. Why did they build the game in such a way that this can happen?

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                It's going to be very interesting with refunds on this, on consoles it's quite clear it's not fit for purpose and the dev hid this fact with review embargos.
                Well on console at least Microsoft have a very basic refund policy, but I'd guess that PSN refunds are going to be a NA/US thing only - and probably done 'on the sly'.

Interesting seeing the opinion of CD Projekt Red change with how they have handled delays, reviews and influencers on Cyberpunk. Certainly as mentioned they have lost some of their darling status. I imagine they will also get flak when their new GaaS/MTX-driven multiplayer mode appears.
                Last edited by Digfox; 13-12-2020, 14:36.

Comment

Unfortunately this game is being to become a meme. Videos are popping up all over showing glitches and weirdness.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                    Can't think of any other branch of entertainment where you can get away releasing a buggy broken product,
                    I mean, that's true but at the same time, I'm not sure any other entertainment medium is quite so easy to fix after-the-fact. We're already seeing TV shows getting "fixed" on streaming services, and anime often gets extensively reworked between the TV & disc release.

Comment

Eurogamer have run a story on PSN refunds for Cyberpunk, although it's lazy reporting because the reddit post they link to is a US-based customer. There is no mention of the UK. Although the reddit thread mentions a customer claiming not to have got a refund on Steam.

Feels like this has the potential to be a Batman: Arkham Knight (PC) sort of situation. As mentioned here at the very least the potential to be remembered with the likes of No Man' Sky and Driveclub.

Comment

They need to let the dust settle until the new year and then put out fixes in quick succession. Even if it mean splitting one fix in to a few, it'll look better. And that next gen upgrade needs to come out sharpish.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                          They need to let the dust settle until the new year and then put out fixes in quick succession. Even if it mean splitting one fix in to a few, it'll look better. And that next gen upgrade needs to come out sharpish.
                          I dunno, it's not the next gen that's the problem and fixing the base PS4/XBO versions surely benefits the next gen as they stand right now because they're running purely backward compatible apart from the Series X getting a frame rate toggle option.

I do think they need to sort out quite a few things but it seems last gen console version is the main issue.

Comment

I dunno either. Ideally they would probably do something more proactive such as allowing refunds and being crystal clear in their communications with regards to this. And prioritise fixing the performance on last-gen consoles. I think this has the potential to spiral into very negative PR and a situation they lose control of (hence the reference to WB pulling AK from sale).

Again beating a dead horse, but apart from their own store policy (GOG) it once again just shows how broken consumer rights are when it comes to buying video games. All the hiding the console versions from reviews etc. is bad enough. But at least if people could get refunds it would be a much better situation.
                            Last edited by Digfox; 13-12-2020, 18:31.

Comment

Christ everyone has short memories. Witcher3 was a mess on release, console versions were technical disasters, devs are STILL fixing and updating it.

Im more surprised that everyone else is so surprised that Cyberpunk is in the same boat.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                                Christ everyone has short memories. Witcher3 was a mess on release, console versions were technical disasters, devs are STILL fixing and updating it.

Im more surprised that everyone else is so surprised that Cyberpunk is in the same boat.
                                So do we excuse a game releasing broken/in a poor state, or the 'no-refunds' policy on PSN now?

I've no doubt CDPR will support the game and improve it on console but personally I don't think that doesn't mean there isn't legitimate criticism. The last Witcher 3 patch was May 2018 (according to the W3 Wiki).

Comment

Working...
                                X