User Tag List

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyberpunk 2077

Quote Originally Posted by Guts View Post
    F*** yeah! This has turned out even better than I could have imagined. Mike Pondsmith's Cyberpunk 2020 as a video game. Hopefully it will also have that classic 80's/early 90's cyberpunk aesthetic.

I like Billy Idol's Cyberpunk! Some solid pop/rock/techno/punk songs there.
    Yeah agreed, an album that really needs to be reassessed. None of my friends believe me though

Quote Originally Posted by StuM82 View Post
    I've not heard of the original pen and paper game but I'm always up for some cyberpunk action.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk_2013

It was a big thing in the late 80's/early 90's in table-top RPGs. It was really something else after games like Dungeons & Dragons. Dark, gritty, cool (infact there's a stat for how "cool" your character is) deadly. Instead of barbarians and wizards there are Rockerboys (musician-rebels), Nomads (Mad Max), Solos (cybered-up assassins) and Netrunners (virtual reality hackers) to name a few. It was my first introduction to the cyberpunk genre and I've loved it since then when I read the book back in the elementary school.
    Last edited by Guts; 31-05-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Awesome would love a good Cyberpunk game.

Guts,

That sounds sweet that version
    I did dabble very lightly in Shadowrun as a kid but haven't touched it since.
    My brother runs a gaming club & they currently play Warhammer 40k: Rogue Trader but I may see if I can get any love for some Shadowrun going again now...been too long

Neil

Yeah, I haven't really played table-tops either since I was a teen, would be nice to do that someday with a good group.

With this game, Kickstarter Shadowrun and games like Deus Ex 3 and Syndicate it seems like cyberpunk is alive and well (at least in video game world) after a bit of a hiatus.
    Last edited by Guts; 31-05-2012 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guts View Post
    Yeah, I haven't really played table-tops either since I was a teen, would be nice to do that someday with a good group.

With this game, Kickstarter Shadowrun and games like Deus Ex 3 and Syndicate it seems like cyberpunk is alive and well (at least in video game world) after a bit of a hiatus.
    Yep you & me both I was a teen player but stopped when my friends started to move onto other things.
    My brother still regularly plays 40k, Heroclix & Rogue Trader (which does look pretty sweet) so I may try to have a few weeks down his club & see how I get on.
    Like you said just a shame that people aren't that interested

I take it your a bit far from Basildon to hook up for some games?

I love the old Cyberpunk games from the 90's.
    Used to enjoy playing them on the Amiga & my early PC gaming was built around games like Bloodnet, Dreamweb & Syndicate

About time we had some new blood in the genre

Neil

Same here, people get interested in other things, move out of town etc. My friend (who I used to play Cyberpunk with) has a table-top group now, so I might be able to infiltrate that at some point in the future.

And yeah, I'm a bit far from Basildon as I live in Finland.

Edit: Info about the upcoming game from CD Projekt:
    -Mature setting for mature audiences inspired by works like Blade Runner
    -Non-linear storyline
    -Uses Cyberpunk P&P game system
    -Different character classes and customizable characters
    -Tons of guns and cybernetic upgrades
    -Cutting edge graphics

Announcement from CD Projekt and Mike Pondsmith
    Last edited by Guts; 31-05-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Witcher 2 was very well made but quite dry and not varied enough so I got bored halfway through. This has the potential to have more variety to it and if they can get the (presumably) gun based combat right it could be great.

Guts, are there any novels for this? I checked it out on wikipedia and there's a massive timeline with heaps of detail, but I want to know if there's anything I can read to get into it.

The Wikipedia page mentions two novels by author named Stephen Billias; The Ravengers (1995) and Holo Men (1996). I haven't read either, so I have no idea if they're any good. There are about a bazillion source books for the RPG which give details about the setting.

Ah that's a shame. I wouldn't mind checking out the setting but I have zero interest in playing a pen and paper RPG.