No announcement yet.

Synthesizers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys. I doubt I'll be making any pop videos soon I don't think I can play anymore so back to learning again.

Comment

Aw yeah. Cool DX7 synth. Count me jealous of that. I have to settle for software version

I used FM synthesis on this track > Lonely Station

Thanks FSW for the kind words, mate.

Comment

I'm here guys I noticed the thread titl... Oh, wait.*

*I've been called this and synthesis so many times on XBL

Comment

I've ended up ordering myself a midi keyboard. It should be here next week. I'll put up a pic when it gets here. Need to figure out what software to choose now. I'll try to get the one that's easiest to use so I'll be reading up on that then my "learn to play keyboard" adventure can begin. I'll be trying to find plugins for some old analogue style synths so any advice on that would be excellent.
          I enjoyed messing around with the Korg DS-10 but the small screen of a portable and lack of real keyboard started to grate on me. As I got it for free from billy_dimashq I'm willing to pass it on here to anyone who wants to experiment with it assuming billy doesn't mind of course.

Comment

Was always quite curious about the DX7 after watching this short documentary years ago. I really liked the sounds on that Les Rythmes Digitales album. Apparently the Yamaha DX200 is quite good if you want more direct control over the DX7's sounds, as it allows you to use knobs instead of navigating through menus.

Comment

Jumping on here with nothing tangible to contribute but many dreams of synth-based fun.

I've got a few on my iPhone and iPad and it's been great hooking the keyboard up to the iPad via MIDI. I got one a few months ago, can't remember the name, but it does that cool thing where keys pressed in sequence keep the tone going. If I'm rubbish at explaining, skip to 6:55 in this vid:

It's a lovely effect

:edit: turns out it's often called 'glide'

Also, thinking of getting this:

Last edited by randombs; 09-08-2012, 06:08.

Comment

Keyboard hooked up to an ipad sounds very handy indeed. I forgot to post in here but here's a pic of the midi keyboard I ended up buying.

If I had the chance to choose again I probably would have just went for a standard keyboard in retrospect as I've ended up just using basic sounds anyway as I find it easier to learn and hear what I'm playing that way. Still want a proper synthesizer though haha. I may end up getting lessons of some sort as its difficult to stay motivated with no real goals to meet. I have learned to play the main riff to we close our eyes which is fun! Here's a vid of someone doing a full cover of it without the singing. I attempted to do something similar with Prince - 1999 but it was taking too long and wasn't sounding too hot so I'll go back to it when I can play better.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_P6hm3BSyc&feature=related

Last edited by jamesy; 10-09-2012, 16:24.

Comment

New micro synths about to be released by Swedish company Teenage Engineering seem to have graphical influence from Nintendo's Game&Watch series.

> Pocket Operators

Comment

Ooh, these look lovely! I love their OP-1. Did I miss the price point? I mostly scanned the article while looking at the pretty pictures.

Comment

$59 each apparently. I imagine they will be looking to get extra for the inevitable cases which will no doubt look amazing knowing TE.

Love my OP-1. They obviously love their games too as the OP-1 has hidden Choplifter game built-in.

OP-1 Chop Lifter beta

Comment

That's right! I only played Choplifter about once on it. But I love how all the synths are visually represented on it. My only issues with it have been the tape system, which I have found pretty unwieldy and difficult. Would love a more modern sequencer system on it but I can't imagine the hardware is capable. Maybe if they do an OP-2 at some point...

Comment

You never know, they may announce a new firmware update tomorrow at NAMM. They have done in the past. Can't see them adding an alternative sequencer to Tape though if they did. I use the tape, but once I get enough grooves for a track I bounce them to my PC for further sequencing in a DAW.

Comment

I forgot all about this thread. Ok, for some quality 80's synth tracks check out this video below. LinnDrum & Jupiter-8 demo

Comment

Oh and another great video of some really classic synths. Memorymoog and Simmons drums

Comment

Love the Linn drum sound. Those vids sound excellent. The visuals, whilst informative, are cheesy as

Been listening to Com Truise lately. Inspiring synth music.

Comment

Working...
                                X