Synthesizers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synthesizers

Recently I've been toying with the idea of buying a synthesizer mainly due to listening to too much Prince. I've wanted to buy one for a couple of years but never really thought about it properly until now. Turns out they are more expensive than I thought but I'm still going to get one regardless. Anyone here into this kinda thing? Any advice would be appreciated. I was all set to get a Roland sh-201(http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/sh201.php) as it seemed to have everything I wanted: Lots of buttons, slider things, knobs and can be picked up relatively cheaply. After reading some more it seems to divide opinion of the synth forums. Some say the sound just isn't up to scratch with it so I'm still pondering.

I remember someone posting a trance track on here they made which I thought was excellent. This was probably about 2 years ago. I assume that had something to do with synthesizers be it hardware or software. In saying that I don't really intend to try and create that kind of music. Would be nice to know who made it though.

So anyone else here play or dabbled with these things before? Any piano or keyboard players ever considered getting one?

I'd try out the Korg DS-10 (if you have a DS) before you invest. It's more than capable for entry level requirements and will introduce you to the terminology and technicality of what's involved. Firstly, see if you have the patience, the sticking power, and more so the knack for making decent tunes before investing too much on hardware.

Once you out-grow the DS-10 you can move on. It's actually worth getting a DS for if you want to get into synths.

Comment

I had a good collection of machines but sold most of them due to not having the time or space to make the best of them. I still have my Roland SH-09 though

Comment

As a start you could buy a midi keyboard and connect it to a virtual synth such as rebirth.
        The DS-10 is great for that analogue sound.

Comment

When buying a synth it's probably best to make up your own mind up about how it sounds. Try it before you buy it, if you can. Research it on YouTube etc.

As far as the 201's functions go, I'd say it's deffo on the right track with its run-of-the-mill knobs and sliders. You'll see many a lower-end priced synth opting for a matrix programming system rather than having the traditional knobs and sliders osc, vcf, vco, envelopes already laid out for you to go exploring with. This is something I didn't like with my MicroKorg.

My advice to you would be get hold of some software (VST) synths and run them in a music production client such as Cubase, Ableton or FL Studio (which I use). These can give you an insight into synthesizers. You can just hook up a cheap midi keyboard and be controlling the software synths parameters in no time (they nearly all link up to your PC/Laptop via USB these days too). Not only that, but you'll find many many many (yes loads) of free software synths that emulate classic synths such as Junos and SH101. Moogs as well.

Try not to let the analog vs digital sound put you off either. I mostly use software for all my music production and have never had anyone question my sounds to be authentically analog or not. As long as you and others think your piece of work sounds great, that's what is most important.

Here's the last piece of music I made using physical synths. Mainly a Novation K-Station, MicroKorg and a Juno-6.

Tokyo Bus Ride

These are all software synths...

Shibuya
          Kanda-08
          Strider Forever
          Rad Racer 02 (Using official Moog software synth)
          Dynamo 88
          Yamanote Rock
          Pool Hall Ponce
          (features a very analog sounding synth lead)

Good luck and keep me posted on your synth adventure.
          Last edited by hudson; 10-07-2012, 07:47.

Comment

I'm learning and dabbling with software synthesizers at the moment.

I strongly recommend looking at VST plugins and Ableton Live 8 if you're thinking of getting into this kind of thing, it cuts the cost of hardware dramatically and for some people is enough just by itself.

(Worth noting here, that's all that Skrillex uses to make his music and look how huge he's become. Ableton, some VSTs and a midi controller. That's all.)

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. Glad to see there's quite a few people on here making music. I'll have a look in to virtual synths and midi keyboards then too. I can't play piano/keyboard so that's another reason that I wanted to keep it almost a separate activity to do away from the computer in a way, at least to begin with.
              In the meantime while I do some more thinking and researching I'll get the Korg ds-10 software. Will it help teach me what oscillators etc are used for?

Enjoyed those tunes Hoolak especially Tokyo Bus Ride and Strider Forever!

Comment

Thanks, man. DS-10 is ace. Limited, but ace. The Kaossilator style pad input is great fun.

I can't play piano either, but I can program steps I have in mind into a sequencer no problem and I reckon if you ever find yourself humming your own ditties, you shouldn't have a problem either.

As long as you crave for making your tune and sit through some YouTube tutorials to help you on yor way.

Comment

Ableton has a cool overdub featurr where it endlessly plays your midi loop and you can build it up one note at a time, no keyboard skills required

Comment

Originally posted by averybluemonkey View Post
                    Ableton has a cool overdub featurr where it endlessly plays your midi loop and you can build it up one note at a time, no keyboard skills required
                    Aye, you'll find that feature in any sequencer. In DS-10 also.

Comment

And I am soooooo happy to have found this, an original Yamaha DX7 synthesizer. Anyone in their mid 30's and who was in to electronic / synth pop music of the 80's will know this hardware. I've been after a mint one of these original models for years and here it is complete with two voice cartridges as well!! Now all I need to do is learn how to play again. I haven't played a keyboard in over 10 years.

Yakumo
                      Last edited by Yakumo; 16-07-2012, 15:05.

Comment

Originally posted by hoolak View Post
                        When buying a synth it's probably best to make up your own mind up about how it sounds. Try it before you buy it, if you can. Research it on YouTube etc.

As far as the 201's functions go, I'd say it's deffo on the right track with its run-of-the-mill knobs and sliders. You'll see many a lower-end priced synth opting for a matrix programming system rather than having the traditional knobs and sliders osc, vcf, vco, envelopes already laid out for you to go exploring with. This is something I didn't like with my MicroKorg.

My advice to you would be get hold of some software (VST) synths and run them in a music production client such as Cubase, Ableton or FL Studio (which I use). These can give you an insight into synthesizers. You can just hook up a cheap midi keyboard and be controlling the software synths parameters in no time (they nearly all link up to your PC/Laptop via USB these days too). Not only that, but you'll find many many many (yes loads) of free software synths that emulate classic synths such as Junos and SH101. Moogs as well.
                        Here's the last piece of music I made using physical synths. Mainly a Novation K-Station, MicroKorg and a Juno-6.

Tokyo Bus Ride

These are all software synths...

Shibuya
                        Kanda-08
                        Strider Forever
                        Rad Racer 02 (Using official Moog software synth)
                        Dynamo 88
                        Yamanote Rock
                        Pool Hall Ponce
                        (features a very analog sounding synth lead)

Good luck and keep me posted on your synth adventure.
                        Dude this **** is epic. Great stuff and nicely varied. Wub wub wub!!

Comment

I can't see the word Synthesizer without thinking of this

He Loves Synethesizers so much, he changed his name to

Synthesizer Patel.

Comment

"Those bloody bast**ds steal everything!" lol Loved how they said his name every chance they got.

That looks awesome Yakumo. Some cool videos of people using that model on youtube. When will you be making your pop debut then?

Comment

That DX7 looks amazing. I recently watched synth Britannia on BBC iplayer for a bit of synth spotting.

Comment

Working...
                              X