Sleeping Dogs (360/PS3/PC) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleeping Dogs (360/PS3/PC) review

Very early days in this - played it for about an hour so far which is barely scratching the surface.

Playing the 360 version which looks pretty decent visually. Seems to lack any kind of anti-aliasing resulting in some terribly rough edges (noticeable on faces in particular so far) but character and environment detail is pretty good and it all runs at a consistent solid framerate. The rendition of Hong Kong is excellent - populated with a lot of characters, some excellent audio and high in detail which gives it a terrific ambience.

The story seems to be taking its beats from Infernal Affairs, although being a videogame it comes across more like a Channel 5 TV drama remake in its writing. Still, the voice actors do a decent job with their delivery for the most part, although the more generic NPCs have typically awful VO work, as is standard in open world games.

As an undercover cop, you appear to have to balance your loyalties to either the police of the Triads who you're infiltrating. Doing good deeds seems to give your Cop points, being particularly violent contributes to your Triad points. After every mission, a summary screen shows how you've contributed to each of these, although I have no idea where this ultimately leads as of yet.

Vehicles seem a bit stiff-yet-twitchy so far, but signposting destinations is done pretty well - can't see me taking any wrong turns while on the road, although narrowing down specific objective markers can be misleading on foot.

The on-foot action stuff is actually pretty well handled so far - there have been a couple of on-foot chases, reminiscent of the first Assassin's Creed. Holding the sprint button, then tapping the button to hurdle/climb obstacles without missing a beat is satisfying and looks the business. The brawling has clearly taken Batman: AA as its inspiration with punches and countering being the order of the day. There's also an interesting grapple feature which highlights certain areas of the environment - ushering a grappled opponent into one of these triggers an environmental takedown for additional Triad points. There's also a meter that fills during combat that seems to refill your health when it's full. No idea if there's any more to it than that or not.

As with GTAIV, you also come equipped with a smartphone, giving you updated police reports on characters you encounter and the ability to use its camera.

So, yeah, so far it's been a pretty good experience and I'm keen to get stuck into it further, mostly to see if the richness of the opening areas of the game extend to the rest of the open world - if so, it'll be a great place to explore. Nothing's particularly stood out as being rubbish as of yet - it's all been very solid and inoffensive gameplay-wise, but there's definitely an overwhelming been-there feeling to the whole experience.

Edit: What the deuce? I never even wrote "review" once, let alone twice!

It's a set-up!
    Last edited by MrMarbles; 15-08-2012, 20:14.

Where's the review of the review?

Comment

I give my review an 8.

This will no longer make sense to anyone.

Comment

review in the title is automatic now, it's to help google find the forum

Comment

I think that it doubles up the review if you preview the thread before posting it.

That's my excuse anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarbles View Post
            I give my review an 8.
            I give your review of your review a 7.

Comment

my copy turned up this morning on ps3 shame I won't be able to play it until Sunday night damn you 12hr shifts!!!

Comment

It's great. Been playing it this morning it's pretty much a western take in Yakuza with a bit of saints row chucked in. Loving it so far, Acti are complete idiots for ditching this most fun I have had in ages

Comment

So far its been alright, nothing really stands out in it but the whole works well enough. Weakest bit so far for me is the brawling which ranges from dumb fun at best to unresponsive as hell. See how it goes, I'd say its 50/50 whether my interest holds right now

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
                    So far its been alright, nothing really stands out in it but the whole works well enough. Weakest bit so far for me is the brawling which ranges from dumb fun at best to unresponsive as hell. See how it goes, I'd say its 50/50 whether my interest holds right now
                    The fighting gets better as you level up. It's a lot more counter reliant than gung ho that will just keep getting you killed it clicks after about level 3/4 (6-8 hours)

Its more virtua fighter (tactical approach) than god of war in its fighting style

Comment

I'm hoping that aspect improves, countering feels very hit & miss when facing large groups

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
                        I'm hoping that aspect improves, countering feels very hit & miss when facing large groups
                        Try using the harder attacks rather than combos early on (held down square attacks) and lots of enviromentals if you go to the martial arts tournaments it teaches you how much you really have to hold back on it (L2 is your best mate in this) especially with triangle counters just don't counter the grapplers kick them down fast as possible it's pretty realistic in its measured approach

Comment

Will give it a go, got 1 or 2 Jade statues to trade in for moves which might help

Comment

Only other tip I noticed is there is a picture in the circle underneath the opponents that tell you who you fighting empty is a regular joe, I have seen 2 or 3 others so far grappler, thug and another

Comment

Really like the fighting in this myself. It's like Arkham assylum Kung fu style. It's all about countering and slamming people's faces into walls. Satisfying stuff.

The rest of the games pretty fun too.

Comment

Working...
                              X