Mark Of the Ninja Xbox live arcade review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark Of the Ninja Xbox live arcade review

Just spent the evening playin this not sure why it wasn't in the summer of arcade as its fantastic. the best way to describe it is like a 2D batman arkham asylum as its a stealth game, but like batman you don't really hide you wait to strike and you are quite lethal. The levels play out like puzzles with scores given to you on how stealthy you where and you get points for everything you do right and points deducted for the stuff you do wrong. Points give you medals to upgrade your ninja and buy more fancy kills.

It has some very cool sound based gameplay mechanics where sound creates ripples outwards that can alert guards or be used to distract them, this also plays a part when killing guards if you perform a stealth kill perfectly he doesn't make a sound but perform it messily and the guard shouts out, if other guards are nearby it alerts them.

Give it a try as it seems to have gone under the radar and it's got, ninjas, grappling hooks, smoke bombs, and throwing stars.
    Last edited by Lebowski; 11-09-2012, 21:56.

Got a 9 on eurogamer.

Comment

Sat at 90% on metacrtic with 20+ reviews http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-...k-of-the-ninja

Comment

It's like a modern day 'Sabateur' (spectrum game)

Comment

I spend all my points on pinball arcade dlc these days, so I'll not be bothering, but it does look good.

Comment

yeah, so you buy one thing a year then! *joke*

Comment

Played the first two levels last night and fell in love.

Since most modern stealth games are made for babies, it is great to play one where I repeatedly hit restart checkpoint if I do anything slightly wrong in order to hit a high score.

The levels have multiple paths and solutions and you'll want to explore to complete sub objectives and find collectables.

Really enjoying it, it's been a while since a classic stealth game came out.

Comment

Completely agree AND was very surprised at just how many routes there are through some levels.
                Best ventilated buildings in the world it seems. I must have replayed a level 2 or 3 times just for the scores, gonna do some more tonight and I can't wait. Fantastic stealth game.

Comment

The names of some of the achievements are brilliant as well.

Comment

It's cool how they have built little micro challenges into each level too. My fave so far has been the one where you are

following the guy with the transmitter. It gives you the option to clear the route of guards before he gets to them or take a safer stealthy aproach. if you clear the way you get a big point bonus and complete the micro challenge. but it's a lot riskier doing this than just sitting back and following from a distance. And it changes the level to if the guards are at there posts he gets one to follow him, if there not at there posts he grumbles about them not being at there posts.

Comment

Played a load more over the weekend. Definitely in my GOTY list.

I recommend attempting to do all of the seals per level as you go. These require you to learn the system rules and be creative. I was trying for one yesterday and accidentally got the achievement for terrorising a guard into shooting his friend. There is a guaranteed spot for it which just happened upon.

Comment

The terrorise mechanic in general is just wonderful - I think I actually scared my girlfriend a little with how much sadistic pleasure I took from some setups. I am actually really looking forwards to playing this through again (first time was on another profile), and trying to get the 9/9 on every level first time.

Comment

Just fully completed this. Wow what a game!!
                          Everything works so well, simple to play but a lot of depth to it.
                          I would recommend this to anyone.

Comment

There's a remastered version of this just been released on the Xbox One. Went to have a look at the price and discovered it said I already owned it. I only bought the original 360 version. Bonus! Downloading now.

Comment

Out on Switch now.

Still one of my desert island games.

Comment

Working...
                              X