No announcement yet.

Chris Roberts' Star Citizen [PC]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would they ever need to release anything at this point? There are enough invested people that they can keep stringing them along for another decade with tiny incremental betas and keep hoovering up that sucker cash.

Comment

As an outsider looking in, my only observation is that there seems to be an anger that I haven't seen in that community before (looking at their subreddit and forums). I suspect that whilst the game may be doing very well that they are at a phase, where they are dependant on 'new' customers. Much like f2p games like Warframe get too, although usually many years after release.

There are various estimates on their current salary burn rate, and they clearly are still seeking private funding (they have taken some this year).

I'm still surprised there are two separate versions of the game planned. I would have thought the single player would have been abandoned by now and then SC becomes a early access like affair of being worked on until it's no longer commercially viable or is eventually released. Although I appreciate the uproar on cancelling SQ42 would be huge.

Comment

Rumours floating that Chris Roberts has left as his name is disappearing from the vids, sites etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
          As an outsider looking in, my only observation is that there seems to be an anger that I haven't seen in that community before (looking at their subreddit and forums).
          It's not something I've followed, so that could be true. However, generally I wouldn't use reddit as a barometer for anything - the site attracts noisy furore from a small subset and whether they respresent the larger majority is questionable.

Roberts leaving would certainly be more significant however, perhaps even a good thing if reports of him forever increasing the feature creep of the project are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
            Rumours floating that Chris Roberts has left as his name is disappearing from the vids, sites etc.
            Where are you getting this from? Can't see anything on Resetera, reddit or a quick internet search. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places though.

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
            It's not something I've followed, so that could be true. However, generally I wouldn't use reddit as a barometer for anything - the site attracts noisy furore from a small subset and whether they respresent the larger majority is questionable.

Roberts leaving would certainly be more significant however, perhaps even a good thing if reports of him forever increasing the feature creep of the project are correct.
            I'm not sure I agree, in that reddit is just the new forum. It's also a great gauge for users feelings. No end of stories have broken that way; i.e. 'I've spend $40 and can't play as Darth Vader' etc. Also their subreddit and official forum are moderated very heavily by CIG so if the complaints are breaking through that even then something is possibly amiss.

I do agree Roberts leaving would be explosive, and likely a precursor to something bigger.

Comment

Where are you getting this from? Can't see anything on Resetera, reddit or a quick internet search. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places though

Someone on Resetera noticed his name hasn’t been on the vids since, jan? Its in the thread somewhere on there, likely a ways back now.

Comment

[MENTION=2561]fishbowlhead[/MENTION] - ah OK, ty.

Just out of interest taken from Resetera - some 'rumours' from someone who apparently posts on another forum with a bit of a track record with this stuff. Whether it is true or not, CIG will certainly care more about investors and their media reputation than any backers or customers.

[Re: Roadmap] We have to continue to hold out until we find an honest way to placate our investors. The oversight leveled against us was fine in the beginning, but after the first [SQ42 gameplay "monthlies"] deadline was missed, they started paying more and more attention. If we put a roadmap out for the backers, the investors are going to use that to penalize the project: not only monetarily, but with cuts to our workforce and with additional oversight. Those will only slow down our already somewhat stalled progress this year. Management understands this and is doing a sword-dance around the issues...for the record, we are not holding things back for [backers]. It is much more complicated than that.
                I feel everyone is slacking off right now. The computer issues don't help. The lack of forward momentum doesn't help. We're running around in circles and the people giving us the directions are telling us to keep doing what we are doing. Everyone digitally clocks in and then mentally clocks out.
                The last time we demoed the game, it was heavily scripted. [QA] had been playing it for hours and hours, getting the right route [and content]. The investors wanted it live, so nothing pre-recorded like we are used to sending. Everyone got really quiet when [they] asked if they could play it themselves and not follow the script at all. Almost immediately after the controller was handed over, they crashed. [Someone in the meeting] nervously laughed. I think that was the day we lost a lot of confidence with our investors and they started really looking at our progress.
                I can say this about Cloud Imperium and Foundry 42: they are trying very, very hard to keep people on during the pandemic. I can't say the same about the investors. Turbulent is taking over more and more development responsibilities, because they can plan and hit target dates and the investors like that. [Turbulent] mentioned that they could do the game for a tenth of what [Roberts] promised. I'm scared they might wrestle away more and more control and let our studio close.

Comment

Not sure how many times i have to say “snake oil” for it to stick.
                  Last edited by fishbowlhead; 30-07-2020, 12:48.

Comment

Absolutely. Still will be fascinating watching how this all ends.
                    Last edited by Digfox; 30-07-2020, 17:00.

Comment

Played this for a couple of hours yesterday. Looks really nice and the space stations are quite immersive; taking the metro to the space port. Immersion breaks though when all the people in the space port are standing on the chairs lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                        Played this for a couple of hours yesterday. Looks really nice and the space stations are quite immersive; taking the metro to the space port. Immersion breaks though when all the people in the space port are standing on the chairs lol.
                        What rig do you have ?

8086k, SSD, 1070 ,16b and it chugged quite a bit for me

Comment

[MENTION=2561]fishbowlhead[/MENTION] - ah OK, ty.

Just out of interest taken from Resetera - some 'rumours' from someone who apparently posts on another forum with a bit of a track record with this stuff. Whether it is true or not, CIG will certainly care more about investors and their media reputation than any backers or customers.
                          Hmmm... Some of that boils down to "we don't want to show a roadmap because then we have to stick to it".

Boo ****ing hoo. That' what it's for.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                            What rig do you have ?

8086k, SSD, 1070 ,16b and it chugged quite a bit for me
                            Ryzen 3600, Radeon 5600 xt, nvm 4.0, 16 gigs. It chugged occasionally. Oddly dropping resolution from 1440p to 1080p made virtually no difference, neither did turning off any graphical flourishes. Just poorly optimised.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                              Ryzen 3600, Radeon 5600 xt, nvm 4.0, 16 gigs. It chugged occasionally. Oddly dropping resolution from 1440p to 1080p made virtually no difference, neither did turning off any graphical flourishes. Just poorly optimised.
                              Notice with Cryengine and lumberyard engine (which i think it is based on Cryengine) Games seem to be not that well optimised ...and take a long time to get better

Comment

Sticking to Elite for now, which runs beautifully with everything on maximum and is now quite well fleshed out!

Comment

Working...
                                X