Chris Roberts' Star Citizen [PC]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris Roberts' Star Citizen [PC]

Dogfight! In space! By Chris Roberts! Free-to-play!

Ugh, you lost me there.
    I was genuinely excited about a possible successor to Privateer and Wing Commander but the free-to-play again looms on the horizon. The game is currently scheduled for late 2014 and runs on a modified version of the Cryengine, and screenshots look good enough, though none of them seem to be in-game (I mean, inside the cockpit shooting things).
    The game is being created so that player will be able to have their way via weapons or commerce and Roberts is also planning to constantly add features once the game is out.
    It's already possible to pledge some money and receive in-game extras at Roberts Space Industries and apparently response to this was good enough for the site to crash.

Consider me interested, but still waiting for the next Wing Commander/TIE Fighter.

It's not free-to-play. It's buy-to-play.

Skip to 3:06 to hear Chris explain the game.

Honestly, the game looks and sounds amazing.

Comment

Never gets old!

Comment

Now on Kickstarter

Letter from Chris Roberts:

Hi everyone!

Chris Roberts here. We have some pretty big news today.

First we hit $1M this morning! Congratulations and thanks to everyone for achieving this goal. Its amazing what we accomplished in just over seven days.

But that’s not all!

I am serious about listening to the opinion of this community, so when we asked whether you wanted a Kickstarter option on Facebook and had over 1000 affirmative responses we realized that we needed to provide that choice.

I’m a big fan of Kickstarter and have backed quite a few projects on it – including the Oculus Rift – and I think the core gaming community owes them a huge debt of gratitude for providing a mechanism to get games funded in genres that the modern day publishers aren’t interested in anymore.

Not using Kickstarter was never about saving 5%, as in the greater scheme that is a very reasonable fee for the service they provide. It was about making the experience frictionless for the existing 30,000 RSI members at the time of launch. I wanted a seamless experience in the fiction of the Star Citizen world where you could interact on the forums, check out development posts and back the project all from the same site and with the same login details.

But that’s only good if the RSI site can handle both the community features and the strain of thousands of people wanting to pledge. As you already know, we famously failed in that task upon launch. As of today we have got things mostly under control. We are working 24/7 in order to get all the intended functionality up, link back up orders to RSI memberships, provide an upgrade option, improve the community experience by moving to a more full featured forum system and speeding up the performance of the site. But doing all this always creates a risk that the site may go down briefly if one of our upgrades breaks the complicated beast that is a community site intertwined with a crowd funding platform.

The kind folks at Kickstarter have generously offered to help out. Not only are they happy for us to have a Star Citizen campaign but they are fine running in parallel with the crowd funding platform on this site. This is great news, as it allows us to provide all the Space Sim fans out there multiple options to back Star Citizen. Nervous about pledging in a custom solution on a site that has had some hick-ups? Use Kickstarter! If you can’t as you don’t have an Amazon account and don’t want to open one, use the RSI site, where we take Paypal and credit cards. It’s all about user choice and in this adding Kickstarter is a very good thing.

[snip]
        More here.
        Last edited by nem; 19-10-2012, 07:51.

Comment

could have sworn there was another thread if so please move this post there http://kotaku.com/this-is-what-star-...ike-1645574632

now that looks awesome

Comment

Game looks insane. PC upgrade probably need.

Comment

Lots of stuff happening with this game at the moment firstly there was a article http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...of-the-Company and then there was a response to that here https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...o-The-Escapist and then was the response to that http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...ting-and-Respo.

As far as news for the game they released a social module which i did a video showing it

Got to say considering the amount of money it has raised the stuff they have released is really not much at all considering in the time frame Elite: Dangerous was made released and the expansion planet addon will be released in a couple of months to

Comment

Has anyone put in for this and tried it out? I've only really been reading up on it since it was reported everywhere that it passed the $100m crowdfunding marker. On paper it sounds really interesting but there seems to be real concerns from some circles as to whether it all hangs together as title and whether it will ever reach a decent state. Is it another DayZ scenario?

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                  Has anyone put in for this and tried it out? I've only really been reading up on it since it was reported everywhere that it passed the $100m crowdfunding marker. On paper it sounds really interesting but there seems to be real concerns from some circles as to whether it all hangs together as title and whether it will ever reach a decent state. Is it another DayZ scenario?
                  I know it has had a massive update but i am just getting massive amounts of crashes before even starting the game i will keep trying though.

And people saying well it is only a alpha ....but it is hard to test a game if the game does not even start.

Have got the Elite dangerous expansion though will try that out
                  Last edited by eastyy; 16-12-2015, 23:11.

Comment

I've been eyeing the Elite expansion but I think I'll wait till I can pick that up cheaper.

Comment

I've been eyeing the Elite expansion but I think I'll wait till I can pick that up cheaper.
                      Yeah it still is work in progress.

As far as Star citizen goes it does show promise but has a long way to go . i tried playing some of the new stuff but kept getting disconnected at there end

Comment

Cheers I think I'll jump in but once its a more stable build. I don't mind it being in progress but it should at least run

Comment

Jumped in I was taking a look through the information on the games site and how they've worked out the various packages and saw that there's an offer for the game with a decent ship and access to the single player when it's released for just ?23. I likely won't spend much time on it for a while but can't really lose out for that price

Comment

Jumped in I was taking a look through the information on the games site and how they've worked out the various packages and saw that there's an offer for the game with a decent ship and access to the single player when it's released for just ?23. I likely won't spend much time on it for a while but can't really lose out for that price
                            I have been tempted to take a punt on this myself this week. Is this the package you went for by any chance?

Roberts Space Industries is the official go-to website for all news about Star Citizen and Squadron 42. It also hosts the online store for game items and merch, as well as all the community tools used by our fans.

Comment

Originally posted by gambit6613 View Post
                              I have been tempted to take a punt on this myself this week. Is this the package you went for by any chance?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/p...itizen-Starter
                              Yup that's the one. I read that there are some better lower priced ships but its still cheaper to buy this package and upgrade the ship than it is to buy straight in to any other package. Only 900 left though. Will definitely give it an initial mess about before new year

Comment

Working...
                              X