Star Wars Episode 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darwock View Post
    To be fair she has a point about Leia, not one bit of gratitude shown to her rescuers. I never noticed that before.
    "Would someone get this big walking carpet out of my way?!"
    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
      Why, CMcK?

Dogg I've been enjoying your notes on your rewatchings of the Star Wars movies with your daughter. Keep it up for III!

I don't know how I'll react if my someday future children watch A New Hope and tell me it's lame. They'll probably wonder why I'm blubbing at the bit with the two suns as well.
      Twas only the lightsabre battle they thought was lame - they enjoyed the movie itself - the kids have SOME taste

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        I can answer that:

4 - start, meet Luke and other characters
        5 - "I am your father"
        2&3 - find out how Vader is
        6&7 - Obvious

It stops the "I am your father" getting spoiled.
        Ahhhh, I see.

Comment

And the time saved not watching Episode 1 can be used to watch Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress which was clearly a huge influence on episode 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            4 - start, meet Luke and other characters
            5 - "I am your father"
            2&3 - find out how Vader is
            6&7 - Obvious

It stops the "I am your father" getting spoiled.
            Hypothetically, in a galaxy far far away, supposing someone wanted, for whatever reason - not me, of course - it's a friend. Actually, a friend of a friend. I've never even met him/her. But let's just say for the sake of argument that I wanted to watch Episode 1, where would she fit that in the list? This friend of mine has watched the films already so he isn't worried about spoilers but I like the pod race and want to make the narrative flow smoothly.

Comment

4-5-1-2-3-6-7 will be the way my future children watch the movies, for the same reasons as above.

Comment

Can't believe you guys would leave Han Solo hanging for 3 movies before his rescue. I can't see any reason to watch the earlier movies in any order other than the order they were released. Although, from experience, I reckon the best way to watch them is 4, 5, 6 and then go to one of those music of Starr Wars concerts where you get to see all the best footage from all of them, including the prequels, with fantastic music without any of the clunky lines. It's one of the best ways to see Star Wars.

Or watch 4, 5 and 6 and then play through Lego Star wars for the prequels.

Comment

Well I'm pretty sure it didn't take them two hours to rescue him so waiting 8 hours or whatever would be more realistic from a timing point of view

Comment

I think I've been a bit remiss though, after all, we all know the correct order.

Star Wars Episode 1 (Vergence in the Force fan edit)
                    Followed by
                    Star Wars Holiday Special
                    Followed by
                    Return of the Jedi
                    Followed by
                    The Clone Wars 2D cartoon (watched simultaneously with)
                    Ewoks, Caravan of Courage
                    Followed by
                    Listening to the Shadows of the Empire audio-play, by Steve Perry, as narrated by Anthony Heald
                    Followed by
                    Black Star Warrior
                    Followed by
                    Akira Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress

That should have you pretty much sorted for The Force Awakens.

Comment

SF jr will be watching 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 onwards. Absolutely nothing if relevance happens in the first two so I'll spare him unless he really pleads. If he does.... well.... may the force be with him...

Comment

Well I started this here so may as well finish here. Today my girls watched Episode 3, completing my eldest girl's Star Wars movie viewing. Did she like it? Yes, she said it was cool but really different. I haven't managed to get out of her in what way she felt it was different.

At the start, the DVD spoils a Palpatine moment which seemed like utter stupidity so my daughter was curious about that. "I KNEW he was evil!" As the movie began, she was constantly spotting the CG. "That is so animated. I saw the animation there. How animationy is that?," and she's not wrong. In the early section, there are so many instances of cutting to CG needlessly and obviously and it is very jarring watching it now.

She seemed a bit bored by the whole Padme/Anakin thing, really just wanting to see how he ends up as Vader. Although at every mention of the pregnancy, she would shout "here comes Luke!" (Leia doesn't seem to have left much of an impression).

Weirdly, she never really connected Palpatine and Sidious/Emperor until he was all disfigured and put up his hood. "He's like the Emperor only chubby! Oh wait... is he the Emperor?!"

While she was watching the last parts of the movie, a constant distraction would have happened regardless of how good or bad the movie is - she was constantly trying to connect it to the original trilogy. Who goes where and so on. While they were having their lightsaber battles she was all "This is so confusing because we know they all survive so how can this even end? How does that even work?!" And then at the end, she declared that she knew that's exactly how it would happen (liar). Although she demonstrated a remarkable memory for lines from the originals. "Yeah, he's more machine than man, see? Remember he said he doesn't want to lose Luke to the Emperor like he lost Anakin? He's losing Anakin here, see?" Padme dying made no sense to her. And it is unbelievably stupid.

It ended and she just shrugged and said that you can watch either trilogy first because they both spoil things for each other. She enjoyed it though.

As for me, it has a few redeeming moments. I think the Order 66 part is great and could have been even more powerful in a better movie. The opening relationship between Anakin and Obi-Wan shows them working together in a way that should have been in the other two movies (only with a better Anakin). But the lines are still atrocious, the CG really jarring and the story unsatisfying. Watching through them this time, I can't help feeling that they attempted to tell the entirely wrong story. There is no tension or surprise in Vader's story. It's a pointless story to tell unless it could throw us a total curveball (like he wasn't Luke's father after all or something). It was the wrong story.

Comment

Your daughter's a hoot

Re-watching films with kids or people new to the material usually opens my eyes to things I never even considered.

Comment

True. One of my ex-girlfriends had never seen the original trilogy (this is a couple years prior to the prequels), so when the SEs came out on video, we sat down and watched them on consecutive nights. I spent most of my time watching her reaction to various bits, because I knew the films inside out. It was quite... entertaining heh.
                            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Have done that also, once in my late twenties with a younger male friend who had never seen any of them. We watched the OT for the main reason of doing co-op rogue squadron on the GameCube. I still remember what he said after we reached the first half hour of empire strikes back -"Han Solo has changed from a bit of a d**k into a total legend in the space of five minutes."

The other time was with my wife, which I mentioned earlier. She pointed out that Leia is very unlikable, Luke poses like a douche and Han is also not very nice. I've yet to watch Empire with her, but Han isn't going to win any man-points this time.

Comment

Working...
                              X