Why is the Vita tanking so badly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is the Vita tanking so badly?

It could just be the price, but I was thinking perhaps it has something to do with the type of games being released on it.

Handhelds traditionally have completely different games from their full screen bretheren, but for the Vita it has all be about how the amazeomg graphics can do handheld versions of console games. But does anyone actually want to play epic adventure games on a tiny screen? Given the choice, you'd just buy the large screen version right?

You'd of thought so, but the number of people here who have opted for the B-Grade developed version of Assassin's Creed over the pretty amazing console version says a lot about how people are desperate for a game to play!

Scaled Down Graphics, Scaled Down Gameplay. I don't know why anyone would choose that version, unless you were buying it for your 12 year old that knew no better, how any self respecting gamer can buy that twaddle is beyond me.

Comment

iOS killed it, mobile/tablet market killed it.
      Not just Vita but the hand held market generally, i remember when all the kids wanted GBA and Pokemon, now all the kids want/have iPhones and iPads, generational shift.
      Always thought it was funny though that Sony decided to waste money having another crack at a market that basically slapped it around, put a chain on it and treated it like a dog. They obviously thought Japan was the big market share they had in the bag.
      They should have fully focused on PS3 and let Nintendo suffer alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
        iOS killed it, mobile/tablet market killed it.
        Not just Vita but the hand held market generally, i remember when all the kids wanted GBA and Pokemon, now all the kids want/have iPhones and iPads, generational shift.
        Always thought it was funny though that Sony decided to waste money having another crack at a market that basically slapped it around, put a chain on it and treated it like a dog. They obviously thought Japan was the big market share they had in the bag.
        They should have fully focused on PS3 and let Nintendo suffer alone.
        I would have never agreed with this until I got a hand-me-down galaxy s phone. The money spent on a vita would be better spent on a fancy smart phone.

Comment

Sony Bond Phone?

Although that money could be better spent on a Bond VAIO

Comment

Why would you buy a Vita? It is no doubt a wonderful machine in terms of power but it has too many flaws at the moment.
            It is miles too expensive for a portable console for a start and the games are literally scaled down and inferior PS3 games. It has no market to call it's own.

For me, it put too much into raw power and as a result looks far less impressive than it should. It should have gone with a lower screen resolution for a start which would have instantly made titles look much nicer and could have helped lower the cost. Also it's all well and good having cross platform play but again the machine is starved of original games.

Comment

I think it was dead before they even released it. The portable gaming landscape has changed. The machine itself is perfect for me because I refuse to play on a touch screen but I'm in a tiny minority. Without the casuals to bolster sales of Lego harry Potter the machine is teh doomed. I think Sony will basically let it die, rather than throwing good money after bad.

Comment

Black Ops should see a spike in sales non?
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Not likely. The type of gamer that plays CoD is often one that only buys things like NFS, Fifa and CoD each year.

Comment

Would definitely say smart phones are killing it.
                    The DS and 3DS are more aimed at kids whereas the PSP and vita are aimed more at an older audience. now you've got a smart phone you've no real need for it.
                    Vita should have definitely been a PSP/ phone hybrid.

Comment

Well i was going to get need for speed most wanted on my vita, but bought the i phone version for ?5 instead and its on my i pad, i think that sums it up as much as i love my vita , the games need to be cheaper, but there is still a big market for handhelds, just look how many 3DS are being sold each week tells you there is a market big time.

Comment

I disagree. People will relish the idea of being able to play CoD on their travels. They then might buy NFS and FIFA too.
                        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

To answer the question in the title, I think it is tanking so badly because Sony have done an absolutely atrocious job at pushing the machine. I don't just mean marketing and getting store presence, which is abysmal, but also the surprisingly little support, few games and little evidence that Sony is pushing for more. It's almost like they wanted it to fail.

I think the other points brought up here are all valid. iOS gaming has had a huge impact. Yes, there are many who would just buy the big console versions of a Vita game. And I also think that the machine is less powerful than it was initially meant to be, hence the amount of games that can't run native res - which is a bit of a kick in the pants for the system.

And yet with all of that, I think there is a place for a really powerful handheld like the Vita. Choice between handheld and full console version? I choose handheld every time. I love the handiness, the ability to play while the missus watches godawful X-Factor, and the ability to take it wherever I'm going. I will always go for handheld. So, yeah, I think there is a place for it and I think all of those other things could have been overcome if Sony actually made an effort with the system. They have scuppered it.

Comment

I'd say its both price and type of games. And more than 3DS, Vita is aimed at an audience thats likely shooting for tablets and phones. If you truly like dedicated handheld gaming, then Nintendo is the way to go. If you like console gaming, you're good with a console.

Vita offers little more than console games. Why would you choose NFS Vita in favor of the Ps360 version? Hardly anyone except for die hard followers would. Plus, the Ps3 or 360 is actually cheaper.

There is no place for Vita. I really expect Sony to phase it out during next year. It would fit into their more focused approach from the new board. The Vita started up when Sony wasn't restructured yet.

And CoD? It wouldn't even leave a dent. Everything points to that port becoming a useless pile of ****. There is almost nothing offered in that game if you go by the latest info from Nihilistic.
                            Last edited by saturn-gamer; 05-11-2012, 11:56.

Comment

The tablet and smartphone market is definitely the biggest problem for the Vita - that and the way that app stores have driven down the price people expect to pay for portable games. ?34.99 or ?39.99 for Vita games is a pretty tough sell when games on the iOS App Store range from 69p to ?1.99 most of the time. Still, Nintendo do manage to get away with with their 3DS blockbuster titles.

I think the PSV is a great system with loads to offer, but the fact that it's not even selling in Japan is very worrying. It has had far more support from Japanese devs than Western, and I think Sony were banking on it in taking off in that market. <5000 units sold in the last week shows that this has not been the case...real shame. Some excellent looking titles coming out for it this Christmas (NFS MW, CoD, Virtue's Last Reward, Persona 4 Golden) but after that I fear there's going to be another epic software drought.

I really love mine though, I wish it had more support. Had it since Jan 1st this year, I own around 12 or 13 full-price games for it, I've been trying to support it as best I can haha. I even buy 2 copies of some games so I can play it with the gf lol!

Comment

Working...
                              X