This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beautiful FINAL FANTASY XI 18th anniversary artwork by Mitsuhiro Arita:

18th anniversary... how did that happen! Hope you guys are all good.

Comment

I love dropping into their website from time to time. It's hilarious how they've managed to keep the design untouched.

Comment

There's a rumour going around that this is going to get a full remake/update. Like, existing players will update to the new game with all their stuff, but it'll be for newer platforms and based on newer code.

I wonder if there's any truth to it. I could see it, if I'm honest. It apparently still has a dedicated fanbase who are paying monthly, and when you have a game this old, it gets more and more expensive to update things, just for security, and because the tools and graphics formats become obsolete. With the game originally existing on PS2, it could probably do with a full refresh. I know that the PS2 version was "retired" years ago, but the core game was still designed for it.

Comment

they wouldn't endanger the current cash cow of 14. The only Remote chance of an engine update would have been Nexus mobile game they got the license to make about 4 years ago, i think we saw some new screen renders late 2018 as the last bit news.

I think they're quite happy to keep it going (including buying every last PS2 dev kit in japan), the player base has maintained consistent to keep the money in for the servers and pay a dev team for monthly updates though covid really did a number on that, can't really take that PS2 based dev kit into the online space from home, though they say they sorted it out for June incoming update. And yes, i'm still playing...

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
            And yes, i'm still playing...
            This is going to sound dismissive, so apologies in advance, but why?

After 18 years, do you still find stuff in it to do?

Comment

If you have any knowledge of how the game worked during the 75 and Abyssea era then they recreated that for 119 era and with this game strengths (and still quite unique in MMO's) being horizontal gear progression and equipment change meta, along pile of events of collect that gear from, which have expanded incredibly in the 119 era usually getting 1 new long term event a year which has progression updates, and all of these can be scaled to single player to 18 man, daily/weekly tasks bought in from 14, and 5 super weapons to build for each 22jobs which all come with their own meta and with balance patches that changes Job strengths to to keep things fresh, there is just something about returning to events having geared up to (near)max and destroying monsters that gave you so much trouble.

Aside from that i was lucky to find a secret cove of mainly UK players about 4 years ago, from running into a few of their members in random events, i mostly play 3 times a week with them all and talk on discord for linkshell(guild) events, i think if i was solo i would have stopped or playing alot less.

Comment

Will FFXI ever die? not this year anyhow, new storyline content on the way since RoV a couple of years ago.

Assumptions seem to be the scraped 'Tartarus' Hell scape end game from Adoulin will make an appearance with mentions of light and dark relics and probably the remade empyrean armor to +2 and +3, so this will be at least 1-3 years of patches.

Comment

Its that time of Year again, May is here and that means FFxi turned 19....

Yes, still playing.. in the last year i've built Monks empyrean weapon Verethragna (it's strongest H2H weapon) for lovely 50% triple damage on normal hits and tied into a strong weaponskill with victory smite. Ninja's Aeonic Katana, which allows for unique level 4 ultimate skillchains and just recently i got in beastmaster and made its mythic axe Aymar, while beast isn't as strong as it was for a 3 year period during the early to mid Adoulin era, it has found a niche as a strong debuffer, along with decent AoE attacks and personal shared buffs with the pet.

As far next year goes, we still have monthly updates of the RoV storyline, occasional job spell/ja updates, ambu fights and Odyssey event content being the current gear grind. I think around christmas they have "promised" 22 job balance update, another new job progression system and a new event to update Empyrean armour to the 119+3 standard. They also updated to the Mog Lottery to and slapped in to some very unique weapons, tied into weapon models from the mainline series, stuff like a katana which for casting UTS shadows, it AoE's them on to the party..

Cya next year
                  Last edited by Tobal; 14-05-2021, 11:57.

Comment

Thanks for the update Tob, it’s great that you’re still playing and enjoying! Interesting i’ve just casually started XIV again. Hope all is good with you.
                    Last edited by talizker; 17-05-2021, 07:35.

Comment

Originally posted by talizker View Post
                      Thanks for the update Tob, it’s great that you’re still playing and enjoying! Interesting i’ve just casually started XIV again. Hope all is good with you.
                      Helps i have community on there to chat to on discord when we do big events twice a week, certainly helped me massively get through a tough year.

Comment

November, 11 month usually mean they do something in a update rather than a few story missions and a change up of ambu rewards.

Probably the biggest change since ilevel 119 when adoulin was released, and what they did with the job boosting master points, they've given us a rather simple new leveling system.

once you master a job through 2100 job points, you can unlock exemplar points which level up your job in the old fashioned way.. what's big about this.. every 5 levels in it gives 1 towards the subjob opening up hundreds of new combinations from traits, job abilities and spells. And the nice bonus of +1 to every stat (though 7 to HP, 3 to MP). And.... you can delevel again, a classic blast from the past.

future changes to come, probably in the new year. full job changes to all 22 jobs, empyrean armour upgrades, new end game from the current VoR story line and what looks like Dark Relics, a new super weapon type.

Comment

Final Fantasy XI hits 20 years old on the 16 May 2022, so SE did 5 hour livestream in Japanese only and still haven't translated officially like they do with previous developer streams which is a bit of a thumb in the eye to the EU/NA crowd. Anyway left to the community to translate at least some for the more interesting in game stuff and what's to come for the next year of monthly updates rather than all the history and reminiscing, hopefully we'll get that at some point.

but what is to come tl'dr
                          Continuation of the new storyline, likely another years worth (they said it was half done right now and it's been a year since release)
                          Upgrades to the current low-man endgame content Odyssey in equipment and augments
                          New Endgame content (which means new areas, probably reused zones touched up) for empyrean armour upgrade. Hopefully it'll be alliance content, we've not had anything new for 4 years since nu-dyna for alliances.
                          Increases to Exemplar levels to 40
                          Full Job adjustments
                          Prime Weapons which will join the REMA super weapons.

Comment

Hey folks anyone still playing at all, thought it might be time to go look at new content revisit some of the old locations before the end of days...

Comment

Originally posted by Tsingtao View Post
                              Hey folks anyone still playing at all, thought it might be time to go look at new content revisit some of the old locations before the end of days...
                              well you can guess who still is , on Bismarck still with a handful of Uk'ers and early raiser americans/canadians

the new story stuff is pretty easy to solo with trusts and wearing easily gotten ilevel gear, though the later missions will require at it full or partial completion of previous main mission stories to advance.

Since the last post they have released 'Sortie' the new content to upgrade empyrean armour to +2/3, 1 hour dungeon crawl 1-6 people, around vagary tile set. The first area quite low level, lots of different tasks to do for all levels of play to get chests to drop (like emote on the teleport device, open doors in a certain order, time attacks on starting something) which give out the event currency, upgrade stone and JSE earring, the higher level area released last month its abit harder and the jump in items needed to +3 empyrean is quite steep.

Comment

Been browsing this thread going over some old posts, reminiscing about the old days. Got nostalgic about the game after me and Repp randomly bumped into Fallows at Arcade Club a few months back.

He mentioned private servers and whilst I don't think I could ever come back to the game as it is now, I've got to be honest I am finding the idea of the HorizonXI server mighty tempting. See if it brings back the times when I really enjoyed the game.
                                Last edited by C'; 15-11-2022, 13:33.

Comment

Working...
                                X