Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Then...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, that's a nice combo. Having a DPS, healer, and tank all levelled is a great place to be in - I played through most of Stormblood as DRK, but when you're behind on content it's very miserable to run a dungeon for the first time with no knowledge of the mechanics and to have impatient folks who've run it dozens of times before over-pulling and just generally undermining you.

ARR/HW were definitely when I was drinking the kool-aid the hardest, and I'm definitely never going back in that hard, but I'd like to at least keep up with the main story and be able to see the neat side stuff - like you say, the NieR raids are a huge pull.

Even my base PS4 still does a decent job running the game, so it's not like there are big performance gaps for the PS5 to cover; loading times feel like the best bet for focus on.

Comment

I'm tempted to go do some more story, got to the end of stormblood but never got round to starting SB.

Comment

PS5 beta begins on the 13th of April - link!

We hope you enjoy a rich and unparalleled experience with lightning-fast loading times, greatly increased frame rates, true 4K resolution, 3D audio, and haptic feedback.
        I'm nearly up to date on the MSQ now, but given I'm also now apricots-deep in MH Rise I might hold off until this newest patch to finish things off. There's still plenty of side **** for me to do, which will probably be the case now until the end of time!

Comment

They're adding new trophies for the PS5 version too, which have now gone live - link. I like that there are now trophies for each expansion! I do not like that there are now trophies for clearing savage-difficulty raid content. Maybe I'll hold off on those until the next expansion and I can run them all unsynced

Comment

Shouting into the void here, but the PS5 beta went live yesterday, and first impressions are very disappointing. After playing the game at a solid 60 FPS for many years now, a bump in resolution (with no improved textures) that drops the game to about 40 FPS is not appealing in the slightest.

On the plus side there's meant to be some new higher-res UI elements, load times are meant to be down a bit, and the install size has been able to drop by about 20 gigs too. I only got about 15 minutes to try it out though, and the headline for me was that 4K mode was not a great experience at all.

Comment

I'm reading! Going to get cracking on the new patch this Sunday. That really sucks about about the PS5 version though, would have expected more.

Comment

For the first time in a long time, I feel like I'm up to date!

MSQ finished, loads of DOH and DOL levelled with first classes in each to 80, loads of missed beast tribes now getting there, a bunch of old raids cleared (Alex savage, -scape, additional Stormblood primals...) but perhaps most significantly, I got a clear on Diamond EX. I was a little undergeared, but I forgot that it's actually pretty enjoyable to learn a tough encounter in this game and see it through.

Comment

Been back on this something rotten lately; got DRK/AST/BLM all capped and kitted out in iLvl 510+, all crafters and gatherers capped, working on white scrip gear for them, and also finishing up an effort to max out all beast tribes (already finished some from SHB but having to go back as far as HW Moogles...) while I also level DNC for the last Crystarium questline I've got outstanding. Have cleared all of the 8 and 24 man raids (even a few Savage ones, unsyced), and MSQ is all up to date.

Going to try and make a little bit of spare cash before Endwalker, but otherwise I'm going to have a nice little break before November, very much looking forward to where the end of this particular storyline takes us.

Comment

Endwalker's pre-release begun 4 days ago, and the overwhelming experience for most everyone I know is that the queueing situation's totally out of hand. I spent two hours to work through a 7,000-deep queue on Friday evening, but since then the only time I've been able to get on was pre-9am on Sunday before most folks were awake. Aside from commitments that make multi-hour queues a flat no, that you need to actively monitor for disconnects while queueing makes it even more impractical, and until the load goes down I can't see myself making progress at any real pace.

One of my buddies finished the whole thing by about 2am on Saturday. I haven't even made it to the first dungeon yet

Comment

I got a 2002 error yesterday after being in line for 2 hours. On Saturday I managed to get to and complete the first dungeon, must have played for about 10 hours. I'm not entirely confident I'll be able to play any time this week given that I am not working from home though. Logged in just now and 6000 in line.

At the very least anyone currently subbed and with an EW pre-order will receive 7 days of additional game time.

Come to think of it I did play some Friday night too, but I had to get my warrior to 80 first.

Edit: I gave up, I'm not gonna waste my evening monitoring this stupid queue. I hope things improve before next weekend or I'm going to be pretty annoyed.
                      Last edited by speedlolita; 06-12-2021, 20:00.

Comment

Latest update here does point towards them doing all that they can, but that ultimately there is no getting around the game being massively over-subscribed at present. It's a shame, because it is genuinely harming the game when players aren't able to experience things in parallel with the people they want to play with. Folks with work/family/whatever commitments are particularly out of luck right now, and I feel that people who do manage to log in during quiet times are often extending their play sessions in the knowledge that getting back on during peak times is a nightmare.

I got off very lightly with a 20 minute queue on Monday, but this was logging in at 11pm when I was already flagging, and hardly any of my friends were on.

Comment

I managed to dodge the 2002 error yesterday after that maintenance!

It only took me 2 hours to log in and then I played for about 2 hours. Lol. Far from ideal but I made a little bit of progress at least. Just hoping things ease up more somehow...

Comment

Had chipped away at this bit by bit through the week before finding time for a few big login sessions over the weekend, and with that I've managed to finish Endwalker. Take that, login queues!

There's those Noclip documentaries on the game where Yoshi P talks about not wanting people to feel obliged to be on day-after-day, and how you can lapse on the game and still come back to treat each expansion as a "normal" 40 hour game that you get to enjoy with your mates. I love that philosophy, but do feel like the over-crowding has kind of screwed that up. Trying to be online at the same time as FC buddies has been enough of a problem, let alone trying to match pace with someone else. Treating it as a standalone game also makes me question how padded-out some sections are and the pacing of it. That said, the high points are incredibly high, and I'm actually quite shocked and how competently they managed to wrap such a long story.

Post-EW spoilers below, you have been warned!

Went into the whole thing thinking I had a pretty good idea of what was coming, but being instead was (pleasantly!) surprised at each and every step. Magus Sisters as a regular boss in the first dungeon? Anima in the second?! I thought at least one of those would be a trial, and instead the FIRST trial is Zodiark?! Very happy to have been wrong-footed.

The undisputed highlight for me was the latter half of Elpis - getting to run a dungeon with _that group_ as a trust was pretty awesome to begin with, and then how everything plays out at the end, along with the scenes that follow after as you return? It is about as good as this game gets, which is already a high-point among the entire series.

SUPERB.

Comment

Above post is not far off from when I last played the game, but I've remained subbed the whole time and had hoped I might be in good stead to get London Fanfest tickets. No such luck. Threw my hat in for general sale too, but also no joy. Sigh. Number of interested parties from my FC dropped as details became available (two days, ticket price, staggered availability) but no-one that attempted either stage got lucky.

Anyone get lucky?

Comment

I started playing this over the weekend. I'm not really an MMO player, but I was very happy playing through a plethora of fetch quests over the weekend I am playing a trial that apparently let's you play up to lvl60. Nice!

Comment

Working...
                                X