No announcement yet.

Shocking ebay prices! 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a modded PAL PSOne last Christmas for about £40 (just the console), the previous year I bought a normal PAL PSOne (mint but unboxed with 2 x controllers and cables) along with a few games for about £50 so I would think the above was unusual!

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
      Jesus. I sold a boxed minty (but used) PS1, with a new replaced laser unit to correct stutter, and modchipped, for only £50 a couple years back.

Is that how much they're worth now?
      In your dreams Sketcz, PAL PSOnes are worth nothing, something is a bit dodgy with this auction if you ask me.

Comment

Not sure where to post this but rather than necro a thread from 2011 this appears to be the most suitable place. So it would appear I've bought my first fake on eBay. Doh!

The clues were in the advert and I just didn't read the item description. It was only £5 so not too worried how the return/dispute pans out although it's pretty clear cut it's a fake Nintendo DS game.

Comment

Ah that sucks, sadly ds is a danger zone for fakes not quite on the same level as gba but not far off either. Not even safe buying Japanese imports i have come across some very convincing ones however the one that was fake for me cost 7000 yen so i kicked up a super stink on amazon japan and managed to get a refund.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
            Ah that sucks, sadly ds is a danger zone for fakes not quite on the same level as gba but not far off either. Not even safe buying Japanese imports i have come across some very convincing ones however the one that was fake for me cost 7000 yen so i kicked up a super stink on amazon japan and managed to get a refund.
            Yep absolutely. Although I didn't read the description and I did have a red flag from the photos but the thought of saving a few quid and the auction ending I bid anyway.

Often there are clear signs like 'won't work in a DSi' written in the description or UK game cases with ESRB ratings on. But sometimes things are more subtle. Also there's odd stuff like my UK 42 All-Time Classics (Club House Games) being in a US style DS game case, but is genuine as I purchased it new from Tesco's years ago.

That said this is the first time I've purchased a fake game and I've done well recently buying some eBay bargains (i.e. a mint US New Zealand Story Revolution for £1.50 a few days ago). It feels a good time to buy DS/last gen stuff, just need to be a little bit more careful.

Comment

The printed code on the back of the cart is also a good way of spotting fakes too, it should always match the cart id on the label & back of the box usually under the barcode. Sometimes it can be a genuine cart and it be missing if they have been a bit agressive with cleaning the cart surface but usually under strong light you can still see faint traces of the ink. I test mine on a DSi XL as nintendo updated it enough to detect pretty much all fakes although if the contacts are dirty on the cart it can trigger the error has occured message had a few times when i thought crap it's a fake and then after i cleaned the contach it's like ahh no just a dirty cart.

The official cart cleaning kits are a definite recommendation for both keeping your slot and contacts clean especially when buying used games it's surprising how many i find have dirty contacts.

Comment

Yep. Indeed the back of the DS game cards probably has the biggest clues. A serial number, white text on the circuit board and contacts that really glimmer. The fakes seem to really have a dull, dark or worn colouring to the contacts.

Unfortunately it seems a lot of sellers don't ever photograph the back of the cards. Even the genuine ones. Just take pictures of the case and inserts. Like poor descriptions, I just think most sellers are lazy or not detailed when it comes to selling.

I have 2 DSi XLs but haven't got or needed a cleaning kit. Maybe I should consider one.

Comment

Update on my fake-DS game.

Seller ignored my returns request created on 14th Apr and I just escalated to eBay that the seller didn't respond. They have been listing new auctions so it's unlikely they didn't see my request. Refunded in minutes which suggest an auto-response.

Does anyone know what happens to the seller in this case? Do they have to foot the £5.66 refund or does eBay eat the cost and the seller walk away scott free? I'm trying to understand if the seller just ignored me for their benefit, or whether this works out for both of us (i.e. they sold the game, and I got a refund)?

Now have to decide whether to leave a negative or neutral feedback. I've since gone out and purchased the game from someone else (genuine this time!).

Comment

Seller has to pay, the money is automatically withdrawn from his or hers PayPal account

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
                      Seller has to pay, the money is automatically withdrawn from his or hers PayPal account
                      OK ty. Even if they haven't got the item back? I obviously would have sent the fake game back to them if they hadn't ignored me. Based on what they are selling, my guess is they didn't intentionally sell the fake. I think they just had what they believed was a US DS game.

Comment

Yes, because they didn't respond to your case.
                        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Not sure if that price is too shocking just because these games come up so infrequently but it's cool to see nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Mar....c100010.m2109

Not even the original release. I don't remember GB games being sealed like that either.
                            DA FUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            £500???

What on earth is that seller on

Comment

Working...
                            X