No announcement yet.

The Photography Thread 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even though my Sony A7RIV is the only camera I need, I have a new toy ...

And it seems to take nice photos - raws can be a pain due to the format, so these are from DNGs which it also supports.

It's quite slow shot-to-shot, so not that well suited to street photography, but picture clarity with the fixed 28mm lens and Foveon sensor definitely produces some sharp images.​

Comment

I thought it a shame that that type off sensor didn't become the norm. Hope you like it, it they always seemed an interesting camera.

Thought you already had one though, or was it one of the Ricoh ones,

Comment

I have one of the earlier DP1s, DP2, DP2 Merrill, and a Sigma SD Quattro (which is the same sensor I believe), but for some reason, this seems to produce better shots than the SD which I thought had weird color casts, but that could well be down to the lens mount I think - as that used SD lenses, the sensor plane is a lot further back which I think leads to colour oddities. The lens is a lot closer with the DP1.

It's a quirky camera, which makes it fun.

Comment

Foveon sensors sounded like a good idea and may have done better if one of the big camera manufacturers had picked them up. I’m still disappointed that those light field cameras from Lytro never took off.

Comment

They didn't take off because they had terrible ISO performance, small image size, and were massively over-priced for the IQ they produced (you can get them for £400 used, I wouldn't waste your money as the depth mapping failed in anything complex).

The next gimmick camera to fail will be this one: https://www.alice.camera/
            Last edited by MartyG; 04-12-2023, 00:46.

Comment

I got an adapter ...

Comment

Nice Marty, is it an FTZ on a 70-200 f2.8.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                  They didn't take off because they had terrible ISO performance, small image size, and were massively over-priced for the IQ they produced (you can get them for £400 used, I wouldn't waste your money as the depth mapping failed in anything complex).

The next gimmick camera to fail will be this one: https://www.alice.camera/
                  Leave the bulky mirror less camera at home they say. And instead Strap this device - about the size of a compact mirror less camera - to your phone. How did this get off the drawing board?

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                    Nice Marty, is it an FTZ on a 70-200 f2.8.
                    Close, FT-1, makes it 540mm at the 200mm end.

Comment

Finally bought my first Z lens for the Z 9.

Comment

Nice.

I saw today that Nikon is buying the video camera maker Red (Red tried to sue them over the in-camera raw video capture in the Z9) - I guess Nikon isn't as strapped for cash as a number of industry pundits have been claiming for several years.

Nikon stated that Red should never have been granted the patent in the first place - I wonder if Nikon will rescind it now that they own it - be pretty hypocritical of them if they didn't.

Comment

Thanks, I sold the Z 50 and two kit lenses, I'll just use the one lens on the Z 9 for visiting cities - I know it's heaver...

Aye, not familiar with Red but I had heard of the legal wrangling. It certainly would be nice if Nikon brought the whole show to a close by putting out a statement to that effect.

Comment

Still liking the Sony A7RIV - bung it on continuous focus, with face recognition and tracking, high-speed burst and it locks on nicely.

Comment

Good stuff Marty, at first glance I thought the first pic was a chainsaw viewed from below!

Comment

Working...
                              X