No announcement yet.

The Photography Thread 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys. You may remember from the old thread that I was thinking of picking up a DSLR. I can get hold of a second-hand Canon EOS 450D with the standard 18-55mm lens included for around ?200 at a local shop. I'm tempted to get it to dip my feet in the water and see how I get on with a DSLR.

Now, obviously the 450D is four years old now, so I just wondered if I would be making too many sacrifices on image quality by buying an old camera such as this. The way I see it, the money I save on buying new will give me a budget to go out and buy a better lens if I get on with the camera.

So I suppose my question is: how would a 450D + a ?250-300 lens stack up in comparison to a new camera with a pack-in lens in the ?450-500 bracket?

Comment

That's a good price. There's nothing wrong with the Canon 450D, a few mega pixels extra really doesn't make very much difference unless you're cropping in the extreme (which means you're not composing your shots very well) or you're planning on printing at A2 sizes. The only thing you'd really notice is noise control at high ISO not being quite as good if compared side-by-side.

I have a Canon 10D and Canon 20D the latter of which I use a lot and they're much older than the 450D - here are some of my shots with the 20D and here are some from the 10D
      Last edited by MartyG; 28-11-2012, 09:48.

Comment

I never thought of buying second hand. Which is odd because my current ixus70 is second hand (got it off ebay for pennies because it had paint splashed on the body) after my kids dropped the old one on the zoom mechanism....

/me goes off to local camera shop.

Comment

I'd have a look here, bought loads from them. Well priced with warranties: MPB photographic. Got my Canon G11 from there for just over ?200.

Comment

I had a Sony A100 DSLR from 2006 and upgraded to a Sony A55 about a year ago. I still have the same lens and with most photos you wouldn't be able to tell which shots came from which camera.

I'd go for the 450D + higher quality lens combo.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
              Along with the focal length of the lens there is the lens aperture, think of this as your iris as aperture and your pupil as the camera sensor - this controls the amount of light entering through the lens which hits the light sensor. At maximum aperture, that is, its widest setting and the smallest f number (biggest pupil, little iris), lots of light gets through, but gives the shallowest depth of field (the amount front to back that's in sharp focus). At the minimum aperture, that is, it's narrowest setting and the largest f number (tiny pupil, large iris), little light gets through, but you get a bigger depth of field.
              I think these two pictures shows what MatyG is talking about. Both were taken with the same focus, same camera, same place. The only thing that was change was the aperture. As you can see, the top image is by far the best. I just hope I have labelled them the right way around.

Comment

Cheers for the advice guys - the 450D is now on hold at the shop. Just waiting for a client to pay me (the joys of being self-employed!) and then I'll go and pick it up, hopefully on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                  I just hope I have labelled them the right way around.
                  That's fine, it does take a while to realise Max and Min are opposite to the actual numbers

Here's one I did a few years back

f/1.4

f/2.5

f/4.5

f/7.1

f/13

f/22

Lighting changed a little on it as I forgot I was on ISO3200 for the first few shots!

Comment

Nice demonstration shots. What is Gunness Marmite, though? It's not what I think it is, is it?

Comment

It's just marmite made using the yeast extract from the Guinness brewery, it was a slightly different taste compared to normal marmite.

Comment

Ah, OK. Not what I was thinking. I thought it was a like a "hair of the dog" breakfast for the morning after

Comment

Yep nice shots GT shows DoF perfectly.

This perhaps belongs in the youtube section but thought I'd drop it here since it's photo (equipment) related.

By popular request, here is The Mirrorless Party short from our Canon EOS M review, all by itself. Created by Jordan Drake and Chris NiccollsFeaturing the vo...

If anyone is interested the DigitalRev channel on there does some pretty good reviews and comparisons etc, real life stuff not just shooting charts and the like.

Comment

Just back from picking up the 450D. No manual included so have downloaded and am reading through it now. Had a quick play and will hopefully be able to take it out tomorrow for some test pictures (weather permitting). Will let you know if I need any help!

Thanks again for the advice.

Comment

Managed to get out earlier to do a few test shots. Mainly used the camera assisted modes as I'm trying to build up a collection of good images that I can then use the settings of as a basis for experimenting in manual mode.

Below are a few shots. I'm pretty pleased with the way they came out, although the last one seems a bit overexposed. Looking forward to experimenting more with the settings once I've got a better handle on things.

Comment

That last one looks like a good exposure, the white doesn't look like its clipping anywhere, so you'd have plenty of room to edit.

The first one is probably a little under exposed, but that might of been intentional to get the sky showing. My experience with that camera would say you probably could of gotten away with a bit more exposure there.

Comment

Working...
                                X