No announcement yet.

The Photography Thread 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can always fix things like exposure in postproduction. I use Adobe Lightroom to fix up photos.

Comment

First play with taking in RAW and then fiddling around with post-production settings.

I'll promise to stop spamming the thread now!

Comment

That's ok! It's good to have some fresh blood!

Comment

Aye, especially as there's not been as many shots posted up of late compared to this thread's history (or at least part 1).

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
            Aye, especially as there's not been as many shots posted up of late compared to this thread's history (or at least part 1).
            Ok, here's a random few from me then.... A mix of digital and some from my new (old) film camera..

5 Miles by GarySmith70, on Flickr

Rusty by GarySmith70, on Flickr

Landed by GarySmith70, on Flickr

Untitled by GarySmith70, on Flickr

Offshore by GarySmith70, on Flickr
            Last edited by Garf; 03-12-2012, 18:55.

Comment

Thanks Marty

because i got the camera so cheap then with a further ?50 cash back I decided to get a couple of lenses and intend once I've gotten to grips with it to get a smaller lens

Current got 14-45mm, 45-175mm & 45-200mm lenses all with cash back at crazy cheap prices and will probably sell one of the bigger lenses

Will hopefully get some photos up in the near future when I go for a wee trip as a family

Comment

Really want an excuse to start up snapping again. Had an EOS 450D myself since about 2010 as my first DSLR and sadly it's really showed. I'm a complete novice when it comes to proper photography and I suspect that maybe the 450D was a bit too advanced for a first timer like me. Right now I've noticed a number of places doing some really good deals on the Nikon d3100 which coupled with Nikon's current cashback promo, I'd be looking at ?250 before I sell my Canon to CEX or somewhere like that.

I've really been drawn to the Nikon's guide mode which pretty much explains EVERYTHING on camera menus by the looks of it. I've a couple of books on the 450D but I can't bring myself to read beyond the first few pages. Even the "dummies" guide relies too much on jargon and an expectation of how a fair bit of the camera works.

So, from a technical point of view, does the D3100 exceed the 450D in specs for example? And would a guide mode be a useful thing to have for someone who really doesn't like reading books written by photographers who seem to forget who it is they're writing for?

Comment

They're pretty much of muchness - I'm not sure that you'll get on any better with the D3100 if you're struggling with the 450D. The guide mode is fairly basic, but it might give you some pointers; it's certainly a good value buy at the mo though.

I wouldn't get that hung up on the technical aspects, really it's not that difficult. Stick the camera in aperture priority mode and you get to control the amount of stuff in focus. Stick the camera into shutter priority mode and you get to control the blur. Stick it in auto and it behaves like a point and shoot. It's far more important to work on your composition, the rest will come with time and experience.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                    They're pretty much of muchness - I'm not sure that you'll get on any better with the D3100 if you're struggling with the 450D. The guide mode is fairly basic, but it might give you some pointers; it's certainly a good value buy at the mo though.

I wouldn't get that hung up on the technical aspects, really it's not that difficult. Stick the camera in aperture priority mode and you get to control the amount of stuff in focus. Stick the camera into shutter priority mode and you get to control the blur. Stick it in auto and it behaves like a point and shoot. It's far more important to work on your composition, the rest will come with time and experience.
                    Unless so many images I see, including ones on here are post processed up the wazoo, I think there's probably a little more to it than that. How do you photograph motion properly for example? The d3100's guide mode tells you how to do that, and it's little bits like that that I need to be getting the hang of.

Comment

Depends what you mean - if you want to photograph a racing car say and want to make the background look like the car is moving, you stick the camera in to shutter priority and set it to something like 1/60th of a second and pan with the moving car.

Longer shutter speeds blur, shorter shutter speed stop motion. See GT's shots above for how aperture affects your shots.

Comment

I was out drinking the other day so I took a few shots while out. A shame that I was too drunk to remember I had manual focus on. So only two shots worth keeping.

City Shrine by Yakum01975, on Flickr

Deserted Snack Bars by Yakum01975, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Daragon View Post
                          Unless so many images I see, including ones on here are post processed up the wazoo, I think there's probably a little more to it than that. How do you photograph motion properly for example? The d3100's guide mode tells you how to do that, and it's little bits like that that I need to be getting the hang of.
                          That's about all I do, there is a relationship between the 2 different settings and with a little understanding and practice you start to get a feel for the settings and the capabilities of your camera. I started with a 400d, it's about standard for and entry level DSLR

Comment

I like the deserted snack bars shot Yakumo - very moody!

Christmas Tree:

Comment

Originally posted by On The Edge of Insanity View Post
                              I like the deserted snack bars shot Yakumo - very moody!
                              Thank you very much. I'll try and do a few more moody shots in the future. Liking the Christmas tree. Sort of like the cover of a traditional Christmas card.

Comment

Might be worth a shot for any of you with good football photos in your archive/an opportunity to take some before the 17th December.

Comment

Working...
                                X