The Photography Thread 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep nice plane shots Marty.

By the way in your massive camera collection have you got a Minolta S414 or DiMage 7i, if so just wondering on your thoughts.

Ta.

Comment

Minolta is a brand I've never used, although the DiMage 7i looks interesting - if you can get one cheap (they seem to be about for under ?30) why not grab it and let us know

Edit: Turns out that's not entirely true, I appear to have one of these that I got given a few years back - the duct tape is due to the battery latch being broken. Very early digicam, but the lens on it seems reasonable. I can't say I've used this one very much.

Just taken this pic with it - really need to sort that garden bench out.

Last edited by MartyG; 25-07-2014, 07:57.

Comment

I went out for a walk along the river earlier. I took four cameras with me, this collage is a shot from each camera. They are from a Panasonic GF2, a GE X500 bridge camera, a Casio EX-Z1080 compact and my Samsung Galaxy S3 camera phone - can you tell which is which?

Last edited by MartyG; 23-06-2014, 21:41.

Comment

Nope I'd guess the second one was from the phone just because the white balance is off although you may have done that deliberately so who knows! ?

Comment

Colours are deliberate

This one is post production:

A Post Production by MartyPG13, on Flickr

Comment

Help. I have a Panasonic GX1 Micro 4/3 jobbie. I'd like a lens that can do low light. It doesn't need to do anything else. I would be taking photos of people, groups of 4-10 say, in an auditorium where light is often confused, with light on the stage but a bit lower (or dodgy coloured lights) off the stage - I will be using it to take photos off the stage (current camera takes photos on the stage fine). 2nd hand or new. Any advice from the experts? Cheers.

Comment

What lenses have you got at the moment?

Comment

The Panasonic Lumix G 20mm f1.7 would probably fit the bill in terms of speed which is two stops faster than the kit lens (the 14-42mm kit is actually very good). That or the Panasonic 25mm f1.4 Leica DG Summilux (very nice, but might not be quite wide enough for you).

Comment

I have the 14-42 power zoom O.I.S. upgrade (I think there are two possible kit lenses). It says 3.5-5.6

So would there be much brightness difference between the Summilux and the first one? Thanks! I'll see if I can find some samples to check the width.

And why is the Summilux so huge compared to the other one? And does it autofocus? (the first one you linked does, but it doesn't mention it for the latter).
                    Last edited by charlesr; 24-06-2014, 18:58.

Comment

It'd be about 2/3rds of a stop between the two lenses I listed above, so not a massive difference. The Summilux is a higher quality lens though. If you want to go really mad you could give the manual focusing Voigtlander 17.5mm f0.95 a go

Comment

I got something new to play with today:

Have had quick play with it and it seems to be producing fair results.

Comment

The Casio Exilim EX-TR35, an ?800 compact camera designed for taking selfies - yup, vanity apparently comes at high cost

Comment

Went out with the Fujifilm HS50 earlier. It generally seems to do a good job and the zoom range is nice to have. I do wish the dynamic range was a little wider given the EXR heritage, but it's not really a surprise given the sensor is 1/2 inch (the light was a little bit harsher this evening compared to the other day though).

Last edited by MartyG; 25-06-2014, 21:56.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                              The Casio Exilim EX-TR35, an ?800 compact camera designed for taking selfies - yup, vanity apparently comes at high cost
                              The girl in the vid seems like she would be better off with a mirror.

If I did get a new lens, how do I manage changing them over without getting dust inside etc.? Never had more than a point and shoot before. Do they come with a cover at the camera end? Lens case?

Comment

Carefully

It's pretty much impossible to be completely dust free tbh, just make sure the camera is turned off and don't do it in a dusty environment.

Comment

Working...
                                X