No announcement yet.

The Photography Thread 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m amazed we still have all the large camera manufacturers that we do especially given it’s been so long since Minolta offloaded their camera business to Sony. Fewer cameras are selling and the prices are going up to compensate. I’ve been looking at the newest Sony RX100 MK VII to replace the mk 3 I use at the moment. It’s a heck of a lot more expensive, it’s up to £1200 for the MK VII. For a pocket camera!

Comment

I can see others like Pentax/Ricoh going as well sadly then perhaps Panasonic might drop out of stills manufacturing, we could end up with the big two Canon/Nikon plus Sony (the tech company that also makes cameras) dominating things.

Leica will no doubt survive pedalling it's vastly overpriced pap (sorry I'm exaggerating).
      Last edited by Anpanman; 25-06-2020, 18:47.

Comment

It's been a long time since I posted in this thread. The other day I was coming home from the bar and though, "it's a lovely night, let's try the night mode on the phone.". And these are the results.

Comment

Those are really nice [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION]. What phone do you have?

Comment

Ace pics @Yakumo ... love the atmos

Comment

Those are pretty good dude.

Comment

Great shots Yakumo

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                  Those are really nice [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION]. What phone do you have?
                  I'm using a Xiaomi Mi Note 10 Pro. It has a crazy 6 cameras on it. 5 on the back and 1 on the front.

Comment

Here's another taken on the same night along with one I took on the first night I got the phone. It's night time abilities are really amazing.

Comment

Seriously impressive low light capabilities for a phone lense.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                        I know. It really surprised me. I was happy with the OPPO I had but then a coworker showed my her Xiaomi Mi Note 10 and I just had to get one. Went for the pro model for the 8gb ram and 256GB storage. Besides that the base and Pro are the same. Both have a 4500mh battery too. I can go three days without charging.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                          None of it is the lens - what's impressive is the amount of computational stuff the phones do after the light goes through the tiny lenses - that they can get good looking images at all shows just how far these algorithms have come.

Still, as good as phone cameras have come, they still can't compete with full frame goodness like this ...

A little toy I've got to play with for the next couple of days, but unfortunately I have to return it on Thursday. Had a quick look over the camera and I'm already impressed with how fast and quiet the auto-focus is - is quicker even than my Olympus EM-1 and 12-35mm f/2.8 pro optic (and that's fast) and that's in sub-optimal light inside.

This might get expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                            Still, as good as phone cameras have come, they still can't compete with full frame goodness like this ...
                            ...or this

It looks good Marty, some impressive specs, how was the viewfinder, it can do 120hz or something but battery life goes down to about 200 shots.

Comment

You couldn't tell the difference between an optical and the digital on the R tbh. They're just not an issue these days.

The camera has gone back to Canon now; it was a nice camera to use and the AF and image noise was very impressive (12,800 ISO is totally usable), but I'm not sure I'd buy one. With the lens (24-105mm f/4 L) new it would cost about £3K and when you can get a D800 for £500-600 now and the 24-120mm f/4 Nikkor for similar, I'm not convinced it's worth the extra £2K, even though you don't need to do as much work on the pics in LR.

Comment

The light has been stunning recently in the evenings. Got a few nice shots of the dog while walking her in the late evenings, might bother posting them if i get on the pc in the next few days.

Comment

Working...
                                X