• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fab shots Marty. Love them.

Comment

Spotted this morning ...

free image server

Comment

Superb shots as ever Marty, you have a real talent for photography.

Comment

Got out early this morning, first decent light for a while.

free image hosting sites

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Some nice new toys from Canon and Nikon;

Nikon Coolpix P950
              Nikon's Coolpix P900 was a fun-to-use mega-zoom with an almost absurd 24-2000mm equiv. lens (later surpassed by the P1000). Its replacement keeps the lens and sensor but adds 4K video capture, a higher resolution EVF and much-requested Raw support.

Nikon D780
              Nikon hasn't given up on DSLRs just yet (at least in the enthusiast category). The D780 combines the 24MP full-frame sensor from the Z6 - along with its hybrid AF system - with the familiar design of the venerable D750.

Nikon 70-200 f2.8 Z
              Nikon has announced the first 70-200mm lens for its Z-mount. The 70-200 F2.8 VR S features 5 stops of shake reduction, a digital info display and weather sealing.

Now the tasty stuff.

Nikon 120-300 f2.8
              Nikon's AF-S Nikkor 120-300mm F2.8E FL ED SR VR has been on the company's F-mount roadmap since last September, and it'll be ready to order next month for $9500.

Canon EOS-1D III
              While it doesn't look a lot different than its predecessor, the EOS-1D X Mark III carries a new sensor, processor, and AF system, and adds high-end video features to create what appears to be an impressive professional stills/video camera.

Comment

The D780 looks like a good choice if you want to stay on the DSLR path. I find I still take a DSLR with me a lot of the time, mostly due to battery life which is the one thing that mirrorless still lags massively behind in.

Still, after this pick up, perhaps I'll be carry the DSLR less

However, these are from the D800

Comment

Well jel of that Ricoh [MENTION=42]MartyG[/MENTION].

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                    Well jel of that Ricoh [MENTION=42]MartyG[/MENTION].
                    You can pick up the first version of this cam (which this one is) for around £200 now (a bit less if you look hard enough). Mk 2 for £350 if you're lucky. Mk 3 is still going for £800 given it's quite new.

Been after one at a good price for a while.

Comment

Be interested to see what you make of the GR Marty, nice one.

I'm with you re: the DSLR's, battery life and viewfinders aren't up to OVF standards yet. Mirrorless is definitely the future but we are not there yet.

Lovely shots, like number one in particular.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                        I'm with you re: the DSLR's, battery life and viewfinders aren't up to OVF standards yet. Mirrorless is definitely the future but we are not there yet.
                        You need to try more mirrorless cameras, take a look at the Sony Alpha A9

The Nikon D6 doesn't seem like very much of an upgrade over the D5 outside of the some of the connectivity improvements.

Meanwhile, Canon make the R5 official with "high-speed continuous shooting and 8K video recording", something the naysayers claimed wouldn't be true. Although we don't know framerates or crop on the 8K, it sounds like a more interesting camera than the D6.

Comment

Still using my Canon 7d. Cant see me upgrading to be honest unless it outright bricks, which is unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                            You need to try more mirrorless cameras, take a look at the Sony Alpha A9

The Nikon D6 doesn't seem like very much of an upgrade over the D5 outside of the some of the connectivity improvements.

Meanwhile, Canon make the R5 official with "high-speed continuous shooting and 8K video recording", something the naysayers claimed wouldn't be true. Although we don't know framerates or crop on the 8K, it sounds like a more interesting camera than the D6.
                            Once had a look at the A9 specs, as usual with Sony there is a long list of bullet points which gets into the details of what those claimed specs actually mean.
                            The claimed 20fps came down to 10fps if you wanted to use uncompressed RAW or mech shutter which is a must for action or high-flash sync, then it came down to 5fps if you wanted to use auto-aperture but this was perhaps with an adaptor for a non E Series lens.
                            Battery life is around 500 shots CIPA, even if it was double that it's nowhere near the 4000 I get on the D4.
                            Ergonomics are supposedly piss-poor as well, my D610 gives me cramps if i use for a long time with the D4 I can use all day without any issues.
                            Of course firmware updates may have solved some of the above, but I'm not a fan of Sony, I'd take a Canon or Nikon any day.

From what I've read about the D6 Nikon listened to the pro's and what they wanted improving which was the connectivity and AF which they have delivered, of course the internet experts who have never used a pro body think that it's not much, proof will be in the pudding though, in the field the Nikon (and Canon) pro bodies always deliver which is the main thing.
                            I don't like the price as it seemed expensive but again I read a comment somewhere that the launch price in the US is exactly the same as the D5 was on launch.

The R5 does look very interesting, I like Canon gear and love what they did with the EOS M series, I really do like what they do with their lens tech as well.

Overall mirrorless is the future and we are not there yet but perhaps the R5 is a step towards it.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                              Once had a look at the A9 specs, as usual with Sony there is a long list of bullet points which gets into the details of what those claimed specs actually mean.
                              I was referring to the remark about OVF being superior to EVFs mostly and the A9II fixes most of the issues with the original A9.

There are definitely aspects to mirrorless that are outstripped by DSLRs still, but those advantages are getting slimmer and slimmer. The only real big advantage they have now is battery life and perhaps some lens advantages due simply to the older mounts having being around for so long.

There are certainly advantages to using the GR over a DSLR in a number of situations.

Comment

Working...
                              X