The Photography Thread 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brad View Post
    I've found I use my 18-55 at 18mm all the time and always wish it was wider, hence looking at these. Cheers for the links!
    Have you considered going full frame Brad, your 18mm is equivalent to a 27mm on full frame.

My favourite wide-angle size is 28mm which is what I use.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
      Out in the September morning sun playing with the Olympus E-P1

Which cost me a fair bit less than the Nikon Z7
      Brilliant shot Marty.
      Before joining the girls in Japan I spent a day at AMS to get some plane shots, sadly bike problems meant I couldn't get to where I wanted but they were using a runway near the hotel so managed to get some half decent shots.
      Took with the D4 which unfortunately cost me more than a Z7!

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
        Out in the September morning sun playing with the Olympus E-P1

On The River Welland

Which cost me a fair bit less than the Nikon Z7
        Great shot.

Comment

You can get a free Nikon Z here;
          The safest and most inclusive global community of photography enthusiasts. The best place for inspiration, connection, and sharing!

Unfortunately it's a paper cut-out model.

Comment

Pfft, Nikon Z is so last week.

I'm all about the Canon EOS R now.

Comment

I have a digital processing question that someone here might know the answer to. It's actually about processing video but I've seen it most often in photography (and predating many modern automated filters). If you check out this kpop video, you'll see it has a kind of Instagram look going on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu4fhBXWkAQ

I'm curious specifically about the parts where it looks like there is a colour overlay (which is how I'd do it in animation) but some colours seem untouched by this, retaining their own strength. If you look at the shot at 0:29 with the girl leaning over the bridge, everything is blue except her coat and a couple of building parts in the background which all share the same colour range. We'd pretty much do this by hand in animation but with so much live action video, I'm guessing it's not the case and, instead, is probably about manipulating the colour balance. It's something I've seen a lot but can't quite get it right myself. Anyone know how to do this, even on a still image?

Comment

It's just an adjustment of the colour channels. I use Sony Vegas which make it really easy to do with the colour corrector: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJAk7NE3bDE

Comment

Thanks Marty. I'll play more with the colour channels. I'm on After Effects but I can see how the same things can be applied looking at the video. I appreciate the link!

Comment

Success with this depends a lot on the raw footage you have - looking at that vid it would appear there's a lot of white in the background with a darker foreground subject, so this will make colour shifts easier to do. I've not personally used After Effects, you may be able to adjust the colour balance at the different parts of the histogram (shadows, highlights, midtones) as well as/along with the RGB channels.
                    Last edited by MartyG; 16-10-2018, 16:14.

Comment

Yes, there are a load of colour correction options but the one that is probably most relevant here allows you to change the balance of shadows, mids and highlights RGB values all separately, so 9 sliders.

Comment

I got something to play with at the weekend.

Seems to be a decent enough condition, with a few scrapes on the base plate.

Comment

Wahey, nice one Marty, Nikon had a great set of cameras out at that time, hope you like it.

Comment

Would have been nice to get the D850, but honestly after having reviewed some of the shots from the D800, the amount of detail it captures is pretty ridiculous, for the price I paid I'm very happy.

You can put DX lenses on the camera too and it automatically reverts to DX mode, but you're still getting 16 MP stills from it, making it pretty damn versatile. The only downside is that it's a hefty beast of a camera.

Will take it out for a walk this weekend and see what it can do with the early morning light.

Comment

Got a few pics this weekend, although Sunday the skies were a bit too clear, so didn't lend themselves well to sunrise pics.

Pretty happy with the results, though I think I now need a f/2.8 24-70mm to make the most of the sensor.

Comment

Yes nice pics, I noticed the huge difference in MP going from my 6mp Fuji S2Pro to the D610.

The D800 must be astonishing with the amount of detail it can see though.

Comment

Working...
                                X