Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Photography Thread 2

Old thread: http://www.bordersdown.net/showthrea...ography-Thread

Remember there's a flickr button (blue and pink dot).

Comment

Okay, I'll be the first person to post a pic in the new thread. I've entered this one in the AP Nov forum comp - quite interesting taking an expensive camera out on a Friday night and then pointing it at volatile situations, but it gives you a bit of a rush ...

Comment

I'm still undecided on what I should enter this month, got an old one from crufts (iso3200) which I like, but I'll do to do something new first.

Comment

I had a few different shots but settled on the one above - I've mostly used new shots this year.

The final theme of the year "Where’s the colour gone" should give plenty of scope for new ideas.

Comment

I was out and about today so here come the photos.

What Country by Yakum01975, on Flickr

Autumn Road by Yakum01975, on Flickr

Autumn Leaf - yellow by Yakum01975, on Flickr

Elderly walk by Yakum01975, on Flickr

Autumn Leaves - Red by Yakum01975, on Flickr

Autumn Leaves - Red3 by Yakum01975, on Flickr

Elderly walk 2 by Yakum01975, on Flickr

Elderly walk 3 by Yakum01975, on Flickr

Elderly walk 4 by Yakum01975, on Flickr

Autumn Leaf by Yakum01975, on Flickr

yummy mac by Yakum01975, on Flickr

Comment

Some nice shots there, "Autumn Leaves" stands out.

I've been out in the night again, in the blustery wind and ended up with this somewhat abstract shot ...

By the Moonlight by MartyPG13, on Flickr

Comment

Moody shot. What camera and lens are you using?

EDIT: never mind I can find out by clicking on the flicker link. Silly me.
                Last edited by Yakumo; 23-11-2012, 23:31.

Comment

That's from a Canon G11.

Comment

Hi peeps. I have a canon ixus 70 compact which takes amazing macros and outdoor shots, but indoors it's completely pants.

The main advantage is its size and price, but I'm willing to spend a bit more next time and go a bit larger if I can get better indoor shots. Do compact cameras exist at sub ?200 prices that actually take good low noise pics indoors?

If they do exist, any tips on what I should look for? Is it size of sensor? Or type of sensor?
                    Any links to decent kit?

For example Canon claims the SX240 HS can do low light, but feedback in amazon reviews suggests it's still rubbish. (Canon have a ?30 cashback on at the mo, which brings that down to ?134

As long as it's noticeably better than my Ixus70 I'm happy. It doesn't have to be DSLR quality.
                    Last edited by charlesr; 26-11-2012, 15:24.

Comment

Some are better than others at controlling noise, but you're battling against a tiny sensor and poor maximum apertures, so you're always going to see noise starting to creep in over 800 ISO. There are some compacts with larger sensors like the later models in the Canon G series, Fujifilm X10, Nikon P7XXX series, Sony DSC-RX100 and these also sport nice fast lenses which helps (as you can keep the ISO at a lower setting) - but these are a fair bit pricier and larger than the SX240 HS.

The Canon PowerShot S100 might be worth a look, same size sensor as the G series with a faster lens, in a more compact body and looking about these can still be picked up for around ?200 (and the newer S110 for not a lot more). (Digital Rev is Hong Kong based mind, UK Digital Cameras has it up for ?239, though I've never ordered from them).

SX240 vs S100 comparison: http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-S100-vs-Canon-SX240.

Realistically, for high ISO noise control, you're looking at a CSC or SLR with a 4/3rds, APC-C or larger sensor with a nice fast lens on the front.
                      Last edited by MartyG; 26-11-2012, 16:50.

Comment

Cheers Marty. Much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                          Cheers Marty. Much appreciated.

I can vouch for the fujifilm x10 indoors, extremely fast focus and it gives quite detailed shots, especially for the money, nocks the spots off the canon g series in low light, same sort of detail outdoors in good light but take them both in and you can really see the difference, with the x10 you can use it pretty normally in bad light and still be able to focus and take pics with minimal fuss, without flash too. I tend to stick to iso 320 but its more than capable of going to higher iso indoors. Might be a bit more than you want to spend though.
                          Last edited by fishbowlhead; 27-11-2012, 09:21.

Comment

Im new to Photography and if anybody has noobz links on how to take better photos i would appreciate it

just bought a Panasonic GX1 and ive got a couple of lens but a quick explanation of the lens would be great

like for example if the lens is 45-200mm (equivalent to 35mm) when's the best place to use it and what exatly is the difference between that and a 10-40mm lens for example

prior to this ive only ever had happy snappers

Comment

The difference in the lenses is the field of view - the smaller the number the wider the scene you'll capture. Have a look at this visualiser.

The 14-42mm on a 35mm film camera would be a 28-84mm lens (your 4/3rd lenses multiply the focal length by x2), which is a good general everyday carry for most general photography - my most used lens is an 18-70mm (on my camera that's 25-105mm on film), I'd say a good majority of my photography is with that lens (outside of the camera phone). As a rough guide, a 50mm lens on a film camera gives you a similar view as your eyes - the "standard" lens.

The 45-200mm on a 35mm camera would be a 90-400mm lens, which is well in to telephoto territory, more suitable for wild life and shooting from a distance, it's less useful as an everyday lens.

Along with the focal length of the lens there is the lens aperture, think of this as your iris as aperture and your pupil as the camera sensor - this controls the amount of light entering through the lens which hits the light sensor. At maximum aperture, that is, its widest setting and the smallest f number (biggest pupil, little iris), lots of light gets through, but gives the shallowest depth of field (the amount front to back that's in sharp focus). At the minimum aperture, that is, it's narrowest setting and the largest f number (tiny pupil, large iris), little light gets through, but you get a bigger depth of field.

For tips, this could be worth a look: http://photo.tutsplus.com/articles/r...professionals/ and the advice here looks fairly reasonable: http://www.geofflawrence.com/photography_tutorials.html

And then there are the helpful (most of the time) chaps over at the Amateur Photographer forums: http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/forum.php
                              Last edited by MartyG; 27-11-2012, 10:29.

Comment

Working...
                              X