No announcement yet.

The Photography Thread 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mentioned before about the D4 and wanting something a bit smaller for the hols, liked the look of the Canon M's and so dipped my toe in the water and got an M100;

Now, it looks like a bit of a toy next to the mighty D4;

...but even though it's aimed at the swipey smartphone crowd there are loads of options in the menus and takes great pics, I was really impressed with it.
    The 18-55 isn't the greatest when comparing shots with my 28mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.4 on the D4 but that's a bit unfair and it does pretty well with the price category it's in.
    I'm now looking to get the EF adaptor and perhaps a 16-35mm f4 as basically the M100 is an EOS 80D in a small suit.

Comment

The M series improved a lot since its initial outing - I have the original EOS M which produces some cracking photos, it's just a pity the autofocus is so bad (amazing Canon got that so wrong initially). They are far better now that Canon has properly embraced mirrorless cameras.

Comment

Hehe, I knew you would have an M series!

I was tossing up between the M3 and the M100, both similar prices with the M3 being one aimed at enthusiasts. However the M3 didn't get great reviews for the focusing whilst the M100 is a later model and has the Canon DPAF (Dual Pixel AutoFocus) and much better reviews in that regard.

No complaints from me on the focusing front, very crisp and accurate.

Comment

Went to the airport Saturday to get some shots of a new service that's started, crap weather but got some decent ones.
          Last of an era though, the D4 has been sold - sob.

Comment

Nikon currently offering 10% off all F mount lenses until the end of September.

Comment

Not much to find about this but Sony are getting into the drone market;
              Tokyo, Japan – Sony Corporation (“Sony”) today announced that it has launched a new project for drones in the field of AI robotics.

World's smallest drone that can carry a full frame Alpha series mirrorless camera. Find out more.

Comment

Also, Nikon is laying off 20% of its workforce outside of Japan and moving its production from Japan to Thailand

Nikon will cut more than 2,000 workers outside of Japan by March of 2022 as well as shift some of its production from its factory in the Miyagi province

And I haven't been taking a lot of photos lately, hence not many updates from me in this thread.

Comment

Anyone going to enter? It's one of the major global comps with good prizes that doesn't have an entry fee. You can enter the pro or open competition, but not both. I'm not entirely sure what the distinction is in this case, but it's not down to earning your income from photography, which is generally how the term "pro" is defined

The Open competition of the Sony World Photography Awards showcases the best single images from around the world. Enter this free online photography competition to win great prizes, including $5k cash, high-end camera equipment and a free trip to London.

Comment

I don't have anything good enough to enter, your stuff is really good though Marty give it a go.

Comment

I wasn't planning on making any camera purchases this close after Christmas, but this came up at a great price. Only had a quick play, but the lens on it is fantastically sharp even wide open.

My exercise permit will have to be used fully at the weekend.

Comment

Very nice, CZ T* lenses are great.

A woman in the office years ago brought in her camera thinking it was nothing special to take some phots of the office yard, turns out it was a Contax RTS with the Planar T* 50mm 1.7 which I think was AP's best tested lens in the 80's.

There's me drooling all over the floor.

I'm waiting for Nikon to announce their serious Z camera, it's rumoured it will take the size 18 battery the single digits use so can get some decent life out of it shots wise.

Comment

I didn't end up entering the Sony World Photography Awards 2021, I looked through my portfolia of shots for 2020 and really didn't think there were enough shots strong enough to make it worthwhile. There are some truly great photographs entered in that competition, you have to be turning out shots that are epic across the board.

Maybe, though, it's simply because I don't have enough Zeiss lenses - I got an email through today, which I made sure was actually genuine given the links didn't go directly to zeiss's website, but it turns out it's real. You can get a free loan of a Zeiss lens for 48 hours with a deposit - and they have some fabulous lenses.

Might be of interest to some folks, I'll probably take the offer up as I did with the Canon EOS R loan (completely frictionless process door-to-door).

Comment

That's a great promotion, pity I sold the D4 and have only got the EOS M100.

Comment

Zeiss Batis 2.8/18 super wide-angle lens for Sony FE mount, 2 day rental free, deposit required £413.00.

For the Zeiss Otus 1.4 100mm ZF Nikon Fit telephoto, the deposit required is £1,550.00 - you're going to need those CC limits to be quite high

Comment

It was pretty snowy out there today.

Comment

Working...
                                X