The Photography Thread 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
    770 quid for a "vlogging" camera? That's nuts. Just use a GoPro. Surly people don't spend that much to record a volg. A format that no one watches for quality footage.
    You could probably also use it to take photos and other video and not just blog with it maybe? Given it's the same sensor as the A6600 (but for considerably less money) it's probably going to give you decent results and not produce 120 degree fisheye footage as you can change the lens on it.

The price is fairly typical of cameras in this tier of the market, but the Sony Vlog ZV-1 based around the RX100 (as mentioned in the DP Review vid above) is probably a better camera for this - and you can live Stream directly with them with a wifi connection. Still £699, but I have started to see these hit the used market now for under £500 (and they seem to sell quickly).
    Last edited by MartyG; 28-07-2021, 07:15.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
      You could probably also use it to take photos and other video and not just blog with it maybe? Given it's the same sensor as the A6600 (but for considerably less money) it's probably going to give you decent results and not produce 120 degree fisheye footage as you can change the lens on it.

The price is fairly typical of cameras in this tier of the market, but the Sony Vlog ZV-1 based around the RX100 (as mentioned in the DP Review vid above) is probably a better camera for this - and you can live Stream directly with them with a wifi connection. Still £699, but I have started to see these hit the used market now for under £500 (and they seem to sell quickly).
      I guess I'm loosing touch of UK prices. That just seems very expensive to me. Or maybe I'm just becoming more tight in my old age

Comment

No, it's pretty good as cameras go. If you want expensive, the Canon R3 has now officially launched, available from Wex for £5,879

Wex Photo Video is the primary destination for enthusiast and professional photographers and filmmakers. Click, call or visit for the UK's widest range of photo and video gear.

It'll be a good camera, no doubt, but is well outside of my price point. I did pick up an Olympus E-1 for £49 recently tho

Comment

Recent trip to The Highlands. Only had a little Lumix G3 on me and the purple sky in the one shot is a result of me stacking two (clearly not very good quality) ND Grad filters on top of each other rather than me trying to be arty.

Last edited by Brad; 14-09-2021, 14:10.

Comment

No, it's pretty good as cameras go. If you want expensive, the Canon R3 has now officially launched, available from Wex for £5,879

Wex Photo Video is the primary destination for enthusiast and professional photographers and filmmakers. Click, call or visit for the UK's widest range of photo and video gear.

It'll be a good camera, no doubt, but is well outside of my price point. I did pick up an Olympus E-1 for £49 recently tho
            Nice, very nice indeed.

Now just waiting for Mr N to lunch the zed9.

Well done with the E-1, though if you saved your cash instead of buying all these machines for your collection you could buy a couple of R3's!

Comment

I wanted an E-1 back in the day! Ended up with an E600 (I think that's what it was, weird looking, no Prism bump)

Comment

It's that time of the year again, when Sony want you to enter their photographer competition: https://www.worldphoto.org/sony-worl...ography-awards

This is one of the few major comps open to everyone with no entry fees.

I haven't got any real noteworthy shots this year, but that's probably because I haven't got a brand new Sony Alpha A7IV or Sony Xperia Pro-I.

Pretty impressive getting the RX100 sensor squeezed into the phone.

Comment

Okay, so I have the Pixel 6 now and I've been out and taken quite a lot of shots and generally, it does a pretty good job.

But occasionally there are some misses and this isn't down to me moving the camera or missing focus. There's a little bit more noise in some of the images than I would expect, given the sensor size and ISO settings and I think the other shot here is mushy because of digital zoom (it's basically garbage, so maybe the pro would have been a better bet - or I need to find how to turn of digital zoom).

Also, I've been finding the UI really irritating by it popping up "helpful" dialogues that I can't helpfully dismiss. The other big downside (and this is not unique to Google phones) is the lack of a dedicated shutter button. Only Sony (I think) have gotten this right - as cameras have gotten better and better on phones, the UX definitely has not - it really would not increase costs even marginally to include one more button on the far right side where you naturally want a shutter button - this would improve things so much from a usabilty point of view.

The front finger print sensor is utter garbage as well, it doesn't work anywhere near as well as the rear one on my Pixel 3XL. I also can't find this "magic eraser" option - it's not in the Google Photos -> Edit -> Tools options (mostly because there is no tools options). Might need and update, so will need to check.

So, generally, mostly positive with a few niggles.
                  Last edited by MartyG; 26-10-2021, 18:03.

Comment

Glad you are enjoying it for the most part, I'm all fingers and thumbs with the phone camera, I find the touchscreen next to useless for me, daughter is ace with her phone so I put it down to me.

Comment

Z9 is here;
                      After a long buildup, Nikon has unveiled the Z9, its flagship full-frame mirrorless camera. The 45.7MP Stacked CMOS camera can shoot up to 30 fps (20 in Raw), capture 8K video and includes a version of Nikon's 3D Tracking AF system underpinned with subject recognition.

Pre-ordered.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                        Z9 is here;
                        After a long buildup, Nikon has unveiled the Z9, its flagship full-frame mirrorless camera. The 45.7MP Stacked CMOS camera can shoot up to 30 fps (20 in Raw), capture 8K video and includes a version of Nikon's 3D Tracking AF system underpinned with subject recognition.

Pre-ordered.
                        Nice, that's some commitment given it's a £5K camera. I think I'll wait for the second hand models to show up for a grand
                        Last edited by MartyG; 28-10-2021, 17:28.

Comment

Thats a lot of camera.

Comment

Nice, that's some commitment given it's a £5K camera. I think I'll wait for the second hand models to show up for a grand
                            Hehe, I'm 57 I can't wait that long!

In fact I'll sell you mine when I'm finished, one careful owner etc....

In all seriousness, sold the D4 and was waiting to see what the Z9 would be like and whether I would go D5 or D6, the fact it's cheaper than what the D4/D4s/D5/D6 was at launch made the decision easy.

Comment

Well that's pretty awesome, can't wait to see your results and impressions. I've definitely been tempted in picking up a Nikon D850 and have seen them under £1500 now, but that's still a fair chunk of cash to spend, so will probably wait a bit longer.

Comment

We had a lovely rainbow show up the other day. Grabbed a shot from the office window with the phone.

The original picture is 108 Mega Pixel weighing in at just over 14MB with a resolution of 12032 x 9024. Check out the direct link below for some insane detail from a phone camera.

Comment

Working...
                                X