No announcement yet.

The Photography Thread 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a couple of vintage digital cameras recently, both of the same era. I'm still after a Sony DSC-R1 for a reasonable price; they seem to be going in the £70-100 range, but really they should be under £50 (not sure why these are demanding that price at the mo - might be down to the APS-C sensor in them).

The Canon PowerShot Pro1

Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2

Both of these cams were the high-end of their time, with good lens and features. The Canon is a powerzoom whereas the Minolta is a manual twist - given both were eBay purchases, they are in surprisingly good condition.

And I took this pic because purple.

Last edited by MartyG; 09-03-2020, 11:00.

Comment

Really like the A2 Marty. When I moved over to digital I had a Nikon FM2 and it was 2003 but was undecided between getting a Dimage 7 and waiting for the DSLR's to gain more popularity or just jump straight in, I went for the Fuji S2Pro and whilst I haven't looked back I really did a lot of research around the Minolta thanks to DPReview and do sometimes miss not having got one.

I do like Minolta stuff, they made a lot of good digital cameras like the X range with their flat type form and periscope zoom and the F100/F300. Their lenses and film cameras were also excellent.

Comment

The DSLR would have been the better choice - as nice as some of these old cameras are, there are two major issues with the vast majority of them - noise and dynamic range. Given a lot of the photography I do is outside, the noise is a bit less of a problem, but dynamic range is a bit of a struggle unless you can bracket across raw. Reaaly, none of this particularly matters because I just like playing with them, and ultimately the goal is making YouTube vids on them, so the results now are immaterial.

In other news, Canon has now confirmed the video specs of the upcoming R5 and it's a beast. It's going to do 8K @ 30 fps using the full width of the sensor. Still no news on the sensor resolution, but expectations are it's going to be in the ballpark of 80MP. Also confirmed that it has IBIS and that dual pixel autofocus works in 8K video. https://www.unbox.ph/gadget/canon-co...es-for-eos-r5/

All those people saying the 8K video is a marketing con are starting to look a bit silly now.

Comment

Yes the R5 is a beast, great looking machine, seems to have an ultra-matt almost military finish to it.

Video means nothing to me, seems odd but I would happily pay extra for still only version with all the other buttons removed, but that's just me. 8K though looks to be a big benchmark and Canon have always been better than Nikon in the video game.

Video aside, I'm really looking forward to seeing this put through its paces, I'm sure burst tracking will be top notch but I'm interested in the size of the battery and the life it gives.
          Of course I hope Canon bring some big fast primes out for it as well.

Rumours of other Nikon Z's on the horizon too, things are looking really good for Canon & Nikon with their new mirrorless systems.

Comment

Went to the beach early

Comment

Comment

Very nice Charles, good stuff.

Comment

Managed to get out early for a couple of walks over the long w/e and catch a few shots at sunrise

Upload your pics

Comment

Gorgeous

Comment

Quick snap from my study window. Opportunistic shot really.

Comment

Great shots Marty well done.

Comment

Finally had a chance to play about with the Minolta Dimage A2 I got on eBay a while back.

So coming to my YouTube channel soon ...

Well, once I've written the script and done the voice over for the video I've edited together..

Mind, it's fair to say that the Google Pixel 3 XL camera is just as capable if not more so.

Comment

Fab work [MENTION=42]MartyG[/MENTION]

Comment

I like the grasses one the best. The starkness between light and dark throughout them all is very satisfying.

Comment

Superb as always Marty, number two is my pick.

Comment

Working...
                                X