No announcement yet.

The Photography Thread 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple from the weekend - I wanted to try and get a few with mist rising from the Welland, but there wasn't enough of it to really show up in the photos, very patchy and thin. Still, the D800 does get nice results and remains a camera I like using.

Comment

Really like the first shot Marty.

Nikon had a good triumvirate with the D800, D610 and D4, I had two of them, really good cameras that were a joy to use.

Comment

Got a new camera for travelling, might get the FTZ adapter as well at some point.

Comment

Missed the first two days, but caught the third day despite it being low in the sky and with cloud.

(Yes, some sharpening and level-adjustment)

Testing the T-ring and adapter for my EOS250D to connect to my Celestron Powerseeker.
          I'm hoping I can take a few photos of Jupiter and Saturn this summer.
          Last edited by kryss; 30-04-2021, 01:39.

Comment

New Zf-c from Nikon, nice colour options and based on an FM series.

Nikon has formally revealed the Z fc, a 21MP APS-C mirrorless camera that recalls the style of its classic FE and FM SLRs but uses its latest 'Z' lens mount.

Comment

I saw. Don't get why it's APS-C given there are virtually no lenses for Z APS-C and cost wise a full frame sensor wouldn't add that much to the price. Looks nice tho.

Perhaps there's a full frame version coming too - I'd wait for that.
              Last edited by MartyG; 29-06-2021, 09:35.

Comment

Perhaps 'cos it's aimed at the fashionistas and aps-c = small and kawaii so will probably do well in Japan. Also the target audience may not be interested in buying multiple lenses.

Must admit I wasn't bothered about DX lenses for my Z50 until they announced the 18-140.

Comment

They already own Fuji X100s.

Comment

I wanted to share the below photo with you that I took from the office window. Not because it is a stunning artistic view, although it is rather colourful. But because this was taken with my 2020 Xaomi Mi Note 10 Pro using the 109 Mega Pixel mode. I rarely use this mode due to the massive files sizes but man, for a phone it sure picks up a lot of detail.

The below image doesn't do it justice. The original is linked below the picture from my Google Drive.
                    It clocks in at 12,032 x 9,024 pixels at 21MB is size. Keep in mind that 8K TVs are only 7680 × 4320. So you'd need at least a 10K screen to view the photo in it's full native resolution.
                    You can zoom right in and see the text on signs that aren't even viewable in full screen viewing.

Full resolution version
                    Last edited by Yakumo; 22-07-2021, 00:54.

Comment

The images you can get from phones these days is great - you do start to see the flaws in the sensor when you zoom in 1:1; there's a lot of noise reduction being employed on the image (which is why there's some smudgyness on the vertical lines - when you cram that many pixels into a small sensor, your actual photosites are tiny so pick up less light) and you can see the colour noise correction in the sky and distortion from the compromised lenses on phones.

However, the full res image from the sensor isn't really what you want to be using, the benefits come from having that bigger sensor and being able to pixel bin to get better quality lower resolution images (the mode you're normally using it on).

What I find most impressive on images from phones these days is the image processing (the Google Pixel takes multiple shots and processing combines them to improve image quality) - so it's really the software in phones that's brought the greatest benefits. If you looked at the raw 109 MP sensor image, you'd see how much processing is going on to get that JPG (and that's the impressive thing - that these phones can process that amount of data).

In other news (well rumour news) - Canon Rumours are suggesting that Canon is aiming to release a $799 full frame camera in their EOS R line: https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-ai...me-camera-cr2/ - it's very thin info tho and not expect for another year, so take it with the levity it has.

Mind, it's just the thing Nikon should have done with the Zf-c
                      Last edited by MartyG; 22-07-2021, 07:55.

Comment

That is impressive [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION]. I like the view too.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                          In other news (well rumour news) - Canon Rumours are suggesting that Canon is aiming to release a $799 full frame camera in their EOS R line: https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-ai...me-camera-cr2/ - it's very thin info tho and not expect for another year, so take it with the levity it has.
                          Mind, it's just the thing Nikon should have done with the Zf-c
                          That would be killer and a great move. I hope they bring it out.

Would have been great for the Zf-c but perhaps body size and the lack of it was paramount.

Comment

Sony managed to get in a full frame sensor in the A7 (and my RX-1 is smaller than that) - don't really buy that as an excuse. I still fully expect Nikon to release a full frame version of it at some point.

Comment

Sony have launched a new camera, the APS-C ZV-E10: https://www.wexphotovideo.com/offers/sony-zv-e10/

Looks like it's similar form factor to the A6XXX series with a flip-out screen aimed at vloggers.

Edit: Forgot to list the price - it's £679.00 body only or as a kit with a 16-50mm lens for £769.00.
                              Last edited by MartyG; 27-07-2021, 14:36.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                                Sony have launched a new camera, the APS-C ZV-E10: https://www.wexphotovideo.com/offers/sony-zv-e10/

Looks like it's similar form factor to the A6XXX series with a flip-out screen aimed at vloggers.

Edit: Forgot to list the price - it's £679.00 body only or as a kit with a 16-50mm lens for £769.00.
                                770 quid for a "vlogging" camera? That's nuts. Just use a GoPro. Surly people don't spend that much to record a volg. A format that no one watches for quality footage.

Comment

Working...
                                X