Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been threatening to do it for a long time but this week I finally took the plunge & started on the path of upgrading the AV & the first thing on the agenda was a new amp so I scoured round for a little bit & settled on a a second hand unit & grabbed this which arrived today...

Does everything I need & probably some stuff I don't but it looks great & was well received when it was released.

Now comes the fun part trying to find speakers to pair with it.

Eventually it will sit nicely in the space currently taken up by my 7 year old Yamaha & I'll be wall mounting the front but it all currently looks like this...

Looking forward to getting it done but I'll have to wait to save for the speakers so it wont be right away

Neil

Comment

Really exciting to see other people's gaming setups as I'm moving into my first (own) flat in a few weeks and I really want to get rid of wires. For now, I'm set on Expedit from Ikea which seems affordable without looking shabby.

Also got myself a Sony CRT from my parents that I will use for retro-stuff, but I will put that somewhere else, just have to find out where.

Comment

Nice start Neil, the speakers is the tough bit. Now that my monitor audios have settled in I love them.

Expedit stuff is great mofo2, I had a few units in my old place and a new one in my living room now.

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo View Post
          Nice start Neil, the speakers is the tough bit. Now that my monitor audios have settled in I love them.

Expedit stuff is great mofo2, I had a few units in my old place and a new one in my living room now.
          Thanks Colin.
          I know tell me about it...been looking for the last couple of days & as I'm on a limited budget now it's not that easy.
          I've been considering picking up some old school bookshelf speakers for front & rear duties & then a Centre to match.
          But the Wharfdale DX-1HCP & Tannoy HTS101 5.1 kits have been looking tempting.

What Monitors do you have now Colin?

Neil

Comment

Nice Neil! Is the amp 5.1?

Comment

Same set up I bought a while back Neil -

Bronze BX5 fronts
              Bronze BX2 rears
              Bronze BX centre

There are some pics a couple of pages back.
              Last edited by Colin; 19-07-2013, 22:40.

Comment

The manufacturer of the above being Monitor Audio. Those BX2 are supposed to be excellent value for money.

I have some RX1 by them myself and they sound sublime and are very well built.

Comment

Rad.

I've been researching deeply to the point of obsession digital sound projectors/sound bars to cater for a squished corner set up in my (hopefully) soon to be new pad.

Today I finally came to the conclusion that no matter how much money I threw at it, there was too much of a compromise to live with be it sound quality or lack of true surround....I've decided to keep my AVR and go with something descrete probably Tannoy TFX.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                    Nice Neil! Is the amp 5.1?
                    Thanks Martin
                    Nah this one us 7.1 so if I get lucky I can go the whole hog

Originally posted by ikobo View Post
                    Same set up I bought a while back Neil -

Bronze BX5 fronts
                    Bronze BX2 rears
                    Bronze BX centre

There are some pics a couple of pages back.
                    I remember now I thought you meant you had changed something
                    It looks lush

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                    Rad.

I've been researching deeply to the point of obsession digital sound projectors/sound bars to cater for a squished corner set up in my (hopefully) soon to be new pad.

Today I finally came to the conclusion that no matter how much money I threw at it, there was too much of a compromise to live with be it sound quality or lack of true surround....I've decided to keep my AVR and go with something descrete probably Tannoy TFX.
                    Yeah I actually looked into soundbars myself as a space saving option but to get a half decent one was a big chunk of cash & I could build a much better proper system for less

Neil

Comment

Nice! Where can I get things like this? Are they expensive? I need one that does dts/digital/pro logic etc. Using a dvd/vhs unit with 5.1.

Comment

If all you need is standard dd/dts you could get a decent second hand one for under a tonne, or a low end but functional new one for ?150.

Comment

How do the speakers connect? Generic plugs?

Comment

Yeah likely Baseley said you can get a basic 5.1 setup fairly cheap
                            My new amp was ?140 delivered & does all the HD audio formats

Speakers just connect by cable in the back like a normal hi-fi

It can be done on a budget but you can also go utterly mental & spend thousands

If you aren't adverse to 2nd hand gear then you can get a bargain
                            I think on AV Forums at the moment there is an Onkyo that will do HD Audio & is 5.1 for about ?90 then it would just be speakers to add

When I'm online properly & not on my phone I'll do some proper looking for you if you like?

Comment

Would be great. I have a set of 5.1 speakers with plugs on, in theory I could remove the plugs and stick them into an amp? Also do these amps have phono inputs for old gen inputs>?

Comment

Yeah you could take them off and just attach the wire to the binding posts, or if those attachments are banana plugs they will slot straight in.

And yes these amps have line level inputs so are fine for cd players, computers, iPods etc, some even have a phono stage for turntables though that's becoming less common.

Comment

Working...
                                X