Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my new TV last night, the Sony XH9005 in a 75"...

Absolute cinch to setup using google assistant and got the 4K120 patch updated quick as well. So far I've only had time to jump on the Series X for about an hour but I am blown away by Auto HDR more than anything else.

My old samsung 4K unit was pre-HDR era so this is a bit of a revelation to me but seeing older games have the more vibrant palette as well is just pure digital voodoo so kudos to Microsoft for doing it. Honestly some of the back catalogue look like different games now.

The only pain in the butt is my mount arm for the TV didn't arrive in time so at the moment I've got it set on two planks of decking atop my unit because the depth of the legs on this beast at 41cm and my unit is only 40cm... had to think outside the square.

Hopefully the mount comes later today or tomorrow and I can get it all setup nicely. Have to say though I am absolutely stoked and 4K120 is delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
      Got my new TV last night, the Sony XH9005 in a 75"...

Absolute cinch to setup using google assistant and got the 4K120 patch updated quick as well. So far I've only had time to jump on the Series X for about an hour but I am blown away by Auto HDR more than anything else.

My old samsung 4K unit was pre-HDR era so this is a bit of a revelation to me but seeing older games have the more vibrant palette as well is just pure digital voodoo so kudos to Microsoft for doing it. Honestly some of the back catalogue look like different games now.

The only pain in the butt is my mount arm for the TV didn't arrive in time so at the moment I've got it set on two planks of decking atop my unit because the depth of the legs on this beast at 41cm and my unit is only 40cm... had to think outside the square.

Hopefully the mount comes later today or tomorrow and I can get it all setup nicely. Have to say though I am absolutely stoked and 4K120 is delicious.
      Awesome. Have you tried the new Series X version of Ori on it? You will be amazed

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
        First time that's ever been said.
        Honestly, I just glanced right over it thinking it was some sort of humidifier or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by MarioMark View Post
          Awesome. Have you tried the new Series X version of Ori on it? You will be amazed
          Not yet but I will drop back into it. I made the mistake of finishing Ori and the Touryst before launch...

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
            Not yet but I will drop back into it. I made the mistake of finishing Ori and the Touryst before launch...
            Yeah the 6k Downsample setting for Ori and the Will of the Wisps looks incredible

Comment

Taken late last night while faffing around with AC Valhalla HDR settings

Comment

That looks insanely crisp!

Comment

This is still one of my favourite threads on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                    That looks insanely crisp!
                    I know right. This TV didn't get rated too highly for it's HDR capabilities but honestly it was pretty blinding and really crisp.
                    I know its dark, it was near midnight... but I'll take a few more pics of the finished setup in a couple of day.

You can see the Series X hiding in the corner atop my sub-woofer. I'll probably move that to sit horizontal beneath the TV once mounted just due to cable lengths.

As the TV is a whopping 33kg in weight I've changed my mind on wall mounting it and I am going to sit it on a floor stand VESA mount instead. I found out our outer walls are plasterboard stuck to breeze block so no studs at all. It's possible to mount it direct onto the plasterboard using some special fixings but I don't trust that will last so I've opted for a simpler solution.

I've ordered some legs to add to the entertainment unit to sit it 5cm higher and the floor stand can slide underneath and hold the TV up higher off the unit, plus the metal chassis of the stand can be used for cabling. Should look decent enough.

Legs arrived this morning but looks like the stand is coming tomorrow now...

You can't really see it in the photos but my Sony soundbar is actually sat in the shelf. It's the exact width of the shelf with about 3mm to spare each side. It won't be staying there once I get a PS5 but for now its tucked neatly out of view. I could potentially mount that directly under the TV (only just thought of that).

May add some bias lighting later as well.

Comment

Makes me think I need to play around with my monitor settings to get more out of it.

Comment

Makes me think I need to play around with my monitor settings to get more out of it.
                        If you have an Xbox One or later there is a tool built in to help you setup your screen properly.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                          If you have an Xbox One or later there is a tool built in to help you setup your screen properly.
                          Yeah this is what I used. There is the normal calibration tool in the settings on Xbox for brightness/contrast etc but there's also another for HDR specifically that's only shown if your TV supports it.

I used both.

Comment

That is a fantastically good feature on the Xbox. Unfortunately I don't own one. I use some 4k THX images on a flash drive. Does the job. Definitely have a brighter image now. I'm a sucker for constant tinkering.

Comment

There’s a THX Tune Up app on mobiles too. I haven’t used it in a while so don’t know if it’s still supported.

Comment

That is a fantastically good feature on the Xbox. Unfortunately I don't own one. I use some 4k THX images on a flash drive. Does the job. Definitely have a brighter image now. I'm a sucker for constant tinkering.
                                There's a HDR tuner tool on PS5 as well. I was watching a video from HDTV test on it yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                                X