Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Panasonic LCDs are decent, at least the European versions are better than the gimped US sets.

Go into the advanced menu and turn on advance(calibration) or advance(isfccc) (not sure what it's called on the European LCDs).

That'll unlock two Professional picture modes.

Leave Brightness (black level) where it is. To adjust the screen brightness, change Contrast.
    Turn Sharpness to 0 or 1 for HD content. More for SD if you like. Also shut off [CATS] and the [P-NR] stuff.

Go into advanced and turn the 16:9 Overscan on, 24p Smooth Film off, Intelligent Frame Creation Off or Low.
    Last edited by Lyris; 27-11-2012, 19:38.

Comment

Ah, Lyris, thanks for that. I'd stumbled on a thread about the TV on avforums, which kept mentioning going into one of the professional settings - but I couldn't find advance(calibration), which is because it's advance(isfccc).

Will post back later with some findings - thanks again.

Comment

Man, going from plasma to a large ips....shame you couldnt live with the buzz.

Also large ips lcd's are a nightmare with backlight clouding in my experience(and that was CCFL), my last one went back to panasonic 3 times with awful backlight uniformity before i gave in and moved onto VA panel tech, which seemed to handle any slight uniformity issues better thanks to the inherent better black levels.

Would be ineterested to see one of the newer ones mind, the one my old man had a couple of years back was truly god awful. You couldnt even change the backlight intensity without the entering service menu!!!

I always found panasonic perplexing in the modern TV market, however i do understand they were rather late to the LCD show.
        Last edited by PaTaito; 28-11-2012, 12:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris View Post
          I haven't seen the EH5300, but I did an in depth review (not publicly) of the EH5000 which should be 99% the same (I guess the 5300 is a cosmetic variant). Avoid. It used to be the case that the cheaper Samsung LCDs had the same SPVA panels in them, but the new ones have some cheaper panel variant which has a weird delta-like pixel structure (see bottom example http://cdn.avsforum.com/b/bc/525x525...ttach1355.jpeg ) and bad motion resolution. And a host of other colour clipping issues.

Maybe getting a "Smart" Blu-ray player or Roku (if those are in the UK yet) would be the solution there...
          Lyris, have you had a look at the Samsung es6300 LED series yet? Are these any cop and what is the panel like? Amazin reviews mention clouding and backlight bleed as a problem.

Comment

I have yet to see an LED without clouding and bleeding.
            I had the Sony HX923 and that was OK with backlight bleed, but you could see the 'un-uniform blotches' even on bright scenes.

I wish they still made 32 and 37" plasmas.

Comment

Originally posted by gIzzE View Post
              I wish they still made 32 and 37" plasmas.
              Man I wish Panny hadnt stopped with their 37 plasma, I bought the last 3 they made. PX70, PX80 and still using the X10. I remember rumours of a Fujitsu 37" LCD in the works which had me interested as some fujitsu plasmas were mind blowing in picture once calibrated. Even at ?3.k I was interested but they bloody pulled out of the U.K market

Comment

I had a Fuji 58 series, basically a PHD8 with some really nice processing built in, great screens that would still impress today compared with 95% of screens available now.

Comment

A couple of my mates managed to grab some of the last 58's and they piss over any LED and most plasmas made from the last couple of years. Fuji processing is immense.

Comment

I only sold mine when I bought a Crystalio II processor, that bypassed all processing on the panel and then the PHD8 I had and the 58 series looked the same, so I sold the Fuji, but that was still worth ?1500 compared with the ?700 I would have got for the Panny.

But to be fair, it took the Crystalio II to beat the processing and that was a ?4,000 video processor, so pretty good going for Fuji.

Comment

Lyris, have you had a look at the Samsung es6300 LED series yet? Are these any cop and what is the panel like? Amazin reviews mention clouding and backlight bleed as a problem.
                      I've been busy with projectors lately, but the ES6300 is the first review on the front page http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/

It's like most LED LCD TVs: it's fine but the quality is no better than it was a few years ago.

Comment

I've been busy with projectors lately, but the ES6300 is the first review on the front page http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/

It's like most LED LCD TVs: it's fine but the quality is no better than it was a few years ago.
                        Have you come across many, if any at all, led type tv's that dont suffer horrid clouding/backlight uniformity? The samsung i have(c530) is the best i've ever seen for this, but in the dark the uniformity shows that its not even at all, but the excellent(by lcd standards) blacks make it a non issue with even a little light in the room.

I am looking for a potential bedroom replacement which eats less leccy, but doesnt look like pants in the dark....hell some led's i've seen looks pants in any enviroment.

Comment

Ah, cheers! Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I may just go for it, I want a 32" as a sleeker replacement for the Sammy L26R41 that I've had for a while now. I'll just have to put up with the clouding. I've got an LED edge-lit Sony 40EX703 as my living room TV and I can't imagine it'll be much worse than that for this issue.

PaTaito: I'd imagine the only ones where you wouldn't have the problem would be full LED backlit screens rather than edge-lit but I don't think there are many of those one the market.

Comment

Have you come across many, if any at all, led type tv's that dont suffer horrid clouding/backlight uniformity?
                            No. I've never seen one. The IPS ones are better from the clouding point of view but still have "jail bars" visible.

I'm honestly not sold on LED local dimming backlighting either. On-axis it can work OK, but even slightly to the side (or at the edges of a bigger screen), the halo/glow just draws attention to LCD's black levels. Or put differently, it means you have a constant reference in dark scenes of what actual black is, so when you see the black the panel is actually generating when the lights aren't shut off, it's a reminder of how big the difference is.

And since I'm on this forum, LED local dimming is useless for games when it adds input lag. So for gaming you might end up using the expensive backlit LED as a standard LCD TV!

Comment

Well after having a 27 Lg lcd & most recently a 32 Sony edge lit led i have to say that i've been very disappointed with their pic quality & lag, so have had a look at a few low end Plasma's in my local currys. watching them side by side with an led they had running the same time it was so obvious that the plasma which was only 720p urinated on the led in terms of picture quality & movement. So are 720 plasma's really that good compared to a 1080 led/lcd?

Comment

Lyris

Sent you pp funds, your pms are full

Comment

Working...
                                X