This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stakers View Post
    I thought I'd give an update on this because I couldn't stay away. I picked up a UB820 and I'm loving 4k discs once again. I've got about 40 but was starting to feel they weren't the investment because I struggled to see the advantage over Disney + DV and Netflix 4k. To my eyes the dedicated player is a MASSIVE improvement over the PS5 and Xbox One X as players.
    It does wonders for Blu-rays too and well worth the investment to me.
    The fact that there is no consensus on this issue seems weird to me having seen the improvement but I get that it is all subjective.
    Thought this might help someone on the fence like I was.
    Nice one. It’s a great machine.

I agree that the results are much better than with consoles (although I haven’t tested the PS5, but doubt it’s different to the PS4). But I’m hesitant to declare that too forcefully when people ask for advice in case they aren’t as sensitive to PQ, spend £300 and then complain there’s no difference!

The HDR optimiser is excellent and the upscaling of DVDs and Blus is really outstanding as you’ve noticed.

Plus it just has those niceties that you get on a proper spinner. No notifications popping up. A proper remote. The ability to adjust the positioning of subtitles. All that good stuff.

Really good you like it, I absolutely wouldn’t be without mine.

I do watch streaming stuff of course, and sometimes buy movies on Apple TV when they’re cheap. But the quality is a far cry from discs. As a result I spend way too much on them I think my girlfriend thinks I have a problem!

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
      Nice one. ItÂ’s a great machine.

I agree that the results are much better than with consoles (although I haven’t tested the PS5, but doubt it’s different to the PS4). But I’m hesitant to declare that too forcefully when people ask for advice in case they aren’t as sensitive to PQ, spend £300 and then complain there’s no difference!

The HDR optimiser is excellent and the upscaling of DVDs and Blus is really outstanding as youÂ’ve noticed.

Plus it just has those niceties that you get on a proper spinner. No notifications popping up. A proper remote. The ability to adjust the positioning of subtitles. All that good stuff.

Really good you like it, I absolutely wouldnÂ’t be without mine.

I do watch streaming stuff of course, and sometimes buy movies on Apple TV when theyÂ’re cheap. But the quality is a far cry from discs. As a result I spend way too much on them I think my girlfriend thinks I have a problem!
      You’re right, my wife has no idea what I’m raving about but I still catch her watching BBC 1 .... over BBC 1HD. It probably isn’t the Second Coming but with 40 discs and buying 1-2 a week it is well worth the £300 to me. I’ve only got 6 Blu-rays because I’ve got a bag with 50 HD-DVDs in the garage but I’m collecting again now. Thanks for your balanced advice wakka.

Comment

The wife said those beautiful words every man craves to hear:
        "I think we should get a new television."

Had a Panasonic plasma for about 15 years.
        Nothing wrong with it, but would like a bigger screen with some more smart features.

Not sure who is good these days, brand-wise, what with not being in the market for a new TV for a decade and a half, so who do people rate these days? Panasonic, LG, Samsung, Grundig?!

Realistically, looking at 50" as we're going to wall mount it on a moveable bracket and the gap is about 129cm and a 55" sits at about 123cm wide to a 50" at 113cm, but definitely no bigger than 55".

Are the OLED tellies that much better than LED ones a third of the price?

Comment

After an initial mooch online, it looks like Samsung are the only ones with all the apps.

Comment

And also the only one that isn’t an OLED. OLED is the way to go. It’s one of those things you really have to experience to appreciate. Have a look at the LG CX OLED TVs. Super low input latency for gaming, WebOS is pretty slick and the expert screen modes are good enough that you wouldn’t need to fork out for calibration.

Comment

Yes, OLED is better than LCD/LED, and will be MUCH better than any LCD around the £500/£600 mark. If it’s something you’re going to keep for 15 years, it’s worth spending the extra and getting something really decent I think.

I wouldn’t personally get too hung up on apps, since there are a plethora of options for adding more - Chromecast, Fire Stick, Apple TV, Roku, etc etc. Picture quality should be the deciding factor IMO.

The best bang for buck sets on the market right now are, IMO, the Panasonic HZ980 and the LG CX. Both available in 55 and the LG also has a 48 model.

The main difference between them is that the LG supports 120hz gaming and lower input lag, while the Panasonic enjoys more accurate colours and better out of the box calibration.

Comment

Cheers mate.
                This really is a minefield, isn't it?!

I swayed between so many tellies and sizes today!

Instead of in the recess next to the fireplace, we could mount it on the chimney breast (fnar), meaning we could get the 55".

Which means I could get the Samsung with the One Connect box, which is a really neat (pun intended) solution.

Which then lead me to The Frame series, which would look great above the fireplace.

Then I see there's a new The Frame model announced at CES 2021!

LG seems to be missing a bunch of apps, and the guy at Richer Sounds suggested I look at Sony, which look great but you can add another £300 on top.

Is OLED really that much better than QLED? Seems better for a lighter room?

Comment

First of all, QLED is simply a type of LCD. It’s not a fundamentally different technology like OLED, it just has a confusingly similar name (no accident, I’m sure). OLED offers perfect blacks and richer colours which QLED can’t match.

The Frame series are very nice looking but you do pay for the design. For the same money you could get better picture quality. No hate from me if the aesthetic is more important though.

LCD - whether they’re marketed as LCD, LED, QLED, Nanocell blah blah blah - do have a couple of advantages over OLED. They can get much brighter, especially on high end sets. This is useful in a very brightly lit room, or one with lots of windows during daytime use. And they don’t suffer image retention. This is a very minor issue on OLEDs now but it can still be an issue if you leave static elements on your TV regularly for very long periods (e.g. Sky Sports News). It’s not something you have to worry about for normal usage though really.

OLEDs don’t get quite as bright but, as above, offer better blacks, deeper colours, and generally a better overall picture quality. They also tend to have better viewing angles - particularly important if you’re planning on putting your TV somewhere high up like above a fireplace (which TBH I would not advise - much better to have it at eye level from a seated position).

What apps are ‘must haves’ for you?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    After an initial mooch online, it looks like Samsung are the only ones with all the apps.
                    What apps? My LG has Netflix, Disney, Amazon, UKTV Play, YouTube, Google Movies, Apple TV, BBC iPlayer, All 4, ITV Hub, Chili, Rakuten, Funimation, Twitch, My 5 and she'd loads of others I haven't bothered to download.

Comment

[MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION] - See if OLED is better FOR YOU in person if you can mate. When I got my budget LG it was because the 4 x as expensive OLED looked barely better than the basic LCD TO ME.

Comment

Yeah very good point Brad.

Comment

Cheers mate.

I swayed between so many tellies and sizes today!

Instead of in the recess next to the fireplace, we could mount it on the chimney breast (fnar), meaning we could get the 55".

Which means I could get the Samsung with the One Connect box, which is a really neat (pun intended) solution.

Which then lead me to The Frame series, which would look great above the fireplace.

Then I see there's a new The Frame model announced at CES 2021!

LG seems to be missing a bunch of apps, and the guy at Richer Sounds suggested I look at Sony, which look great but you can add another £300 on top.

Is OLED really that much better than QLED? Seems better for a lighter room?
                          When I was looking for a 4k TV a couple of years ago, I actually found it easier to settle on the LG C8 than when we were buying 1080p. I've just got back to looking at audiovisual stuff recently and it seems even easier now and the LG CX series is the go to choice. (Along with the Panasonic UB820 for 4k player)
                          I don't think there would be any apps missing that you would need. Mine has Netflix, Prime, Disney +, Freeview Play etc..

Comment

Cheers mate.
                            Not nearly as much as it used to be. Just get the LG CX and put things to rest. Passing up on the best gaming TV made thus far because it's missing some random apps is like not buying a Bugatti because it doesn't come with a built in popcorn maker.

Comment

Thanks everyone.
                              I had totally skipped LG, but I'll have a look at that too.

Thanks @Stakers for the link. I will try to support Richer Sounds too, though.
                              EDIT: Looks like they have the earbuds offer too.
                              Last edited by QualityChimp; 22-02-2021, 10:08.

Comment

Working...
                              X